PDA

View Full Version : Does hair become less frizzy as it gets longer?

catarinalaree
July 26th, 2011, 06:50 AM
When I was APL I had a lot more frizz than now as BSL but I'm still wondering if length, weighs down frizz. If it does, the longer the hair the easiest it is to manage. Just a theory... What's your opinions on it?

chahuahuas
July 26th, 2011, 06:52 AM
My hair gets more frizzy, because my ringlets loosen with the weight and they aren't as defined. I would imagine that straight or wavy hair gets less frizzy as it gets longer, though.

Alaia
July 26th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure length necessarily weighs down frizz, but when the hairs are longer they can't really fluff up as much?

I have just as much frizz now as I did when I had TB hair.

Not a very useful post, I know :lol:

aenigmatica8
July 26th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Well, that all depends on your hair type! Thicker hair is less likely to change as much as it grows out, but fine hair will definitely lose frizz/curl as it gets weighed down. Also, sometimes hair just changes. I knew someone who had curly hair ever since they were pregnant even though their hair was straight before! Also naw, unfortunately it won't make your hair easier to brush, because there will always be the same amount of frizz at the bottom, where there isn't much hair below it to weight it down!

Anje
July 26th, 2011, 08:22 AM
For me, frizz tends to be baby hairs that haven't grown out... There are always plenty of those around (sometimes more than others), so I've always got a bit of frizz. Getting all the hairs around the face sufficiently grown out to gather back helps, though, and those ones tend to grow slowly.

Frizz does decrease when hair is well-moisturized, though. It also goes down if you use a tiny bit of leave-in oil or aloe gel.

Raiscake
July 26th, 2011, 08:35 AM
To me, it seems to be more layers = more frizz. My hair's gotten longer since I started taking care of it LHC-style, and it's definitely gotten a lot less frizzier. But that could be from any number of things. I've also started oiling and putting my hair up all the time since then.

SoulOfTheSea
July 26th, 2011, 08:36 AM
lol my hair gets more frizzy, just because of the fact I have more hair. My hair is really frizz prone, so I don't think this applies to all people. It truly depends on the person.

catarinalaree
July 26th, 2011, 08:47 AM
To me, it seems to be more layers = more frizz. My hair's gotten longer since I started taking care of it LHC-style, and it's definitely gotten a lot less frizzier. But that could be from any number of things. I've also started oiling and putting my hair up all the time since then.

That's one of the main reasons I get frizz, is cos I have loads of layers the shorter ones being shoulder length. The other thing is it always seems to be raining here and I tend to give in to the hair straighteners to keep frizz off for a while, but they are not doing the job any more. Ok another question: Do you think people will dyed hair get more frizz than people with virgin hair?

Dr. Girlfriend
July 26th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I get less frizz the longer my hair grows. My theory is that the weight helps with the unrulyness. If I go any shorter than shoulder it's mushroom city for my head.

QueenJoey
July 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I think my hair is way less frizzy now than it was at APL, and even BSL.

irishlady
July 26th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Maybe for some people, I don't know, for me the frizz didn't go away sadly :(

lapushka
July 26th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Kinda depends. Sometimes there's frizz, other times not so much. Length hardly seems to have anything to do with it, although my hair does poof out more when it's shorter than BSL but that has more to do with the wave pattern, I guess.

spidermom
July 26th, 2011, 09:24 AM
People who use heat styling get more frizz than people who don't because it dries out the hair, also causes hairs to break off.

It kind of depends on what you mean by "frizz". To me, frizz is what you get with damaged hair, like a bad perm or bleaching to oblivion. The texture is rough and the appearance is fluffy.

What I get is a halo caused by shorter, newer hairs curling up/sticking out all over the surface of my hair. I'd say I've got more of it now than when my hair was shorter simply because I've got more length for newer hairs to be shorter than.

Madora
July 26th, 2011, 10:09 AM
The frizz is mostly baby hairs around the front hairline. I tame them (sometimes) with a little bit of coconut oil.

You will have frizz if you braid your hair all the way down to the ends, leave the braids alone for a day or two, then unbraid and bingo..frizz!

catarinalaree
July 26th, 2011, 10:15 AM
How I get frizz is: I just shampoo and condition my hair, I towel dry it gently and after like 40 minutes I get this huge afro!! I'm really busy with my studies and work so I don't have time to dry my hair any other way. It can't possibly be the hair products I use, can it?

chahuahuas
July 26th, 2011, 10:21 AM
\
What I get is a halo caused by shorter, newer hairs curling up/sticking out all over the surface of my hair. I'd say I've got more of it now than when my hair was shorter simply because I've got more length for newer hairs to be shorter than.

I know exactly what you mean. I have some short hairs at the top that stick up around the crown of my head. When my hair is shorter, these short hairs get worked into the top-most ringlets, and those ringlets are very defined (because they aren't weighed down.) Now that it's longer, my hair is flatter on the top of my head, since the hair is weighed down by the length, so the short hairs on top just stick up and fluff awkwardly :mad: Sometimes I can smooth them down, but the seem to get fluffed back up into a little halo of short hairs throughout the day.

dulce
July 26th, 2011, 11:09 PM
1 agree with a previous post that fine hair gets weighed down more with length.At least mine does.

Lianna
July 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Do you think people will dyed hair get more frizz than people with virgin hair?

My hair dyed or natural has the same amount of frizz. But if someone's hair gets damaged from too much dyeing, I guess that could be a cause.

How I get frizz is: I just shampoo and condition my hair, I towel dry it gently and after like 40 minutes I get this huge afro!! I'm really busy with my studies and work so I don't have time to dry my hair any other way. It can't possibly be the hair products I use, can it?

It's possible your hair type is naturally frizzy when towel dried and just combed. A lot of wavies/curlies tame their frizz with a bit of oil and/or gel, or leave it in a bun for a while. Some people dry with a T shirt, not towel.