PDA

View Full Version : what's the best tip you've gotten from LHC?

americanjan1
July 25th, 2011, 07:21 PM
What's the best tip you've gotten at LHC? Mine is CO. I didn't think it would work for my fine hair but it has been the best thing I've done so far.

whitestiletto
July 25th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Definitely definitely CO. Has prevented my seborheic dermatitis from returning. :) Also henna rather than chemical dyes, my hair is SO much softer now! Also I'm preparing to get stoked for my BBB but it hasn't come in the mail yet.

PS I thought your name was 'Amerijuanican (http://www.cmdistro.com/images/xlarge/20145.jpg)' at first glance. LOL whoops.

americanjan1
July 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Yes, CO has really helped me. I want to try oiling but I'm still skittish about it since my hair is so fine. I'm also growing out layers which is a gigantic PITA. I've been growing them out for three years!

Nae
July 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM
"Quit trying everything at once and be patient." That is the best tip I ever got here, hands down.

americanjan1
July 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Yes! I do that...I want to try everything at once. I need to remember that!

mrs.bad85
July 25th, 2011, 07:42 PM
CO and coconut oil and SMT have done amazing things to my hair. It's also the cheapest regimen I have ever tried and the best results!!

I can't wait until I hit BSL I want to try for crown braids:cheese:

Don't forget the many links to youtube for awesome updos

kidari
July 25th, 2011, 07:46 PM
distilled water and a squirt of V05 conditioner in a mister for damp bunning

chenille
July 25th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Tip used as intended? CO washing. Tip with unexpected benefits? I bought camellia oil to try on my hair. It doesn't do much for my hair but just a drop as a facial moisturizer has done wonders for my combination skin!

MissManda
July 25th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Self-trimming! My hair wouldn't be nearly as awesome as it is now if I hadn't learned to trim my hair with no assistance. It feels so good to know that I don't need to rely on another person to trim my hair for me and not having to worry about taking off too much length.

americanjan1
July 25th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I would LOVE to self-trim but I am terrified of looking like I used pinking shears!

Madora
July 25th, 2011, 07:59 PM
EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)! Works wonders!

MissManda
July 25th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I understand. I was so very terrified of cutting my own hair, but I just read the instructions several times just to let it all sink in and waited until I felt ready to do it. The only time I felt scared of making my hair look bad was during my first trim.

If it helps, I'm visually impaired with 20/400 eyesight and shaky hands, so if I can do it, then almost anyone can! :D

Happy growing!

americanjan1
July 25th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I think I will follow suit and read the instructions repeatedly and then try it...maybe!

luthein
July 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
You're not too <something> to have long hair.

MissManda
July 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM
You're not too <something> to have long hair.

Oh, this too! ;) :cheese:

americanjan1
July 25th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah...that's a good one too.

jil
July 25th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Jojoba oil for dry ends! :)

sun-kissed
July 25th, 2011, 08:47 PM
That long hair should be healthy hair, and the only way to get that is to (a) trim, (b) condition it, and (c) STOP BRUSHING IT!

So yeah, I would say it's a tie between my BBB, self-trims, and coconut oil. (;

Anje
July 25th, 2011, 08:49 PM
CO washing (not to be confused with coconut oil...). Major difference in hair quality, moisture, frizz, and oil production!

DoubleCrowned
July 25th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Antique lace and oil of any sort.

Jenn of Pence
July 25th, 2011, 09:06 PM
That proteins can cause dry, gnarly ends, followed by CWC.

americanjan1
July 25th, 2011, 09:45 PM
What is the antique lace tip??

Copasetic
July 25th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Accept your natural texture. By far the best piece of hair-advice I have ever received.

archel
July 25th, 2011, 10:02 PM
So far, it's oiling. But I think in the long run (and this is a new, ongoing process) it may be to accept my hair's natural waves/wurls and stop trying to force it straight. I haven't really figured out all the best ways to do this yet, though. But I think my hair may eventually thank me for not brushing the crap out of it and weighing it down with silicones trying to make it into something it's not.

Oh and yeah the whole "older women should have short hair" thing is a bunch of hooey. You ladies know! <3

christine1989
July 25th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I would say it is a tie between henndigo and leave in conditioners (Nightblooming's panaceas in particular).

DoubleCrowned
July 25th, 2011, 10:14 PM
What is the antique lace tip??

Treat your hair gently as if it were antique lace. That was an important concept for me because I was taught to treat it very harshly--hard scrubbing, harsh shampoo, vigorous rubbing of the wet length with coarse towels -- same with the scalp, fast brushing before detangling, rubber bands, cheap metal barrettes... the works.

SoulOfTheSea
July 25th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Gosh there are so many tips to choose from @_@

I'd have to say jojoba oil, because I used to use silicone serums, and jojoba oil for my off that habit. Plus it makes my hair so shiny and frizz-free =)

Melon Collie
July 25th, 2011, 11:33 PM
There's no need to wash your hair on a daily basis.

Finger comb before combing or brushing.

And for gawd's sake, stop using that cheap plastic comb and brush.

Angel_099
July 25th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Hmmmm....so hard to choose...but I would have to say...

two words....

COCONUT OIL!!!

My skin and hair are both sooooo thankful for finding out about this!:)

Loreley
July 25th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Oiling and avoiding sulfates and cones. These are the best. :)

auburn
July 25th, 2011, 11:49 PM
HONEY :P

it's great!

Mingle
July 26th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I'm still a newbie, so I'm not sure yet. So far, I like the CWC method.

CrystalStar
July 26th, 2011, 01:38 AM
A close match been CO and oiling! They're both part of my permanent hair routine. :D

Lianna
July 26th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Castor oil for hair growth (on scalp).

Liss
July 26th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Avoid cones to avoid the lank greasy build up... self trimming... CO...clarify occasionally... ACV rinses...

Neneka
July 26th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Honey (and cinnamon) lightening.

TheCaityCat
July 26th, 2011, 03:48 AM
ACV rinses! Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one. It's the cheapest and more effective detangler/clarifier that I've ever used.

Dragon
July 26th, 2011, 03:50 AM
The best tips I have gotten is co wasing, useing a clarifying shampoo every so often and detangle with a comb before brushing.

annieangel149
July 26th, 2011, 03:50 AM
coconut oil as a deep treatment on dry hair, left overnight and washed out with co the next morning! works great for me :D

Dars
July 26th, 2011, 04:30 AM
The whole concept of self cutting hair.

Alaia
July 26th, 2011, 04:35 AM
The best tip I've got?

I have to admit I haven't been adventurous with methods, but probably the best would be oiling and all the updos :lol:

kdaniels8811
July 26th, 2011, 04:55 AM
No one uses herbs? I have gone exclusively natural, hendigo, shikaki for washing, catnip tea for conditioners, coconut oils. Works better than conventional methods - for me - and it is cheap!

Stub
July 26th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Oiling for sure! I'd been BS/ACV for several months before coming here or I'd have to say those!

pocketsmall
July 26th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Oiling, and I'm becoming interested in hairtoys/updos for the first time in my life!

MissAlida
July 26th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Clarifying with baking soda, and ACV rinse. I replaced shampooing entirely with this , and my hair was never happier.:crush:

americanjan1
July 26th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I'm definitely going to try the catnip rinse!

bushy
July 26th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I am afraid to self trim too.

Rtzgrl
July 26th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Using evoo for dry ends, and how to use hair sticks. I was getting so tired of scrunchie buns.

Bohemian Haze
July 26th, 2011, 01:35 PM
It's been said already....you're not too old, tall, short, fat, thin, round-faced etc etc for long hair. I hear this stuff so much in everyday life, it's so refreshing to read that ANYONE can enjoy healthy long hair!

chahuahuas
July 26th, 2011, 01:38 PM
CWC! only, I think I CWC for different reasons than most here. I do it to detangle before I wash my hair. (If I detangle after I wash my hair, it gets even more tangled, and then my curls get flattened by my Tangle Teezer.)

Mairéad
July 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM
CO for me, and I have straight fine(ish)hair! Also coconut oil and ACV rinses. One day, once I have enough hair, I hope self trims are added to the list.

CitznMag
July 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Patience, patience, patience. Oh did I say, patience? :)

wishywashy
July 26th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I had been using oils (evoo, jojoba and coconut) before joining LCH, But I didn't know that I needed to clarify with ACV to avoid build-up.

Switched to CO and CWC, satin hair cap when sleeping, not washing hair everyday, deep conditioning and using a bbb in the proper manner has helped TONS.

wishywashy
July 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I had been using oils (evoo, jojoba and coconut) before joining LCH, But I didn't know that I needed to clarify with ACV to avoid build-up.

Switched to CO and CWC, satin hair cap when sleeping, not washing hair everyday, deep conditioning and using a bbb in the proper manner has helped TONS.
woops! LHC...not LCH :)

gthlvrmx
July 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Have patience! So benign neglect is pretty amazing for me ;)

Khiwanean
July 26th, 2011, 02:00 PM
For me it would have to be CO and coconut oil. My hair is has so much more wave than I used to think it did! Oh and cold water rinses for shine.

ptricia
July 26th, 2011, 02:14 PM
You friend of mine from te Dutch Raponsje Forum gave me a small jar of Pancea's hair salve. I've just used it once because I just got it. But I think I'm falling in love... It feels great.

curlymarcia
July 26th, 2011, 02:14 PM
My hair love the sweet almond oil that I discover thanks to LHC. I also use now a satin pillowcase, and my curls are less tangle when I wake up. And scalp massage really worth it.

americanjan1
July 26th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I totally broke out the satin pillow case last night!

Nettles
July 26th, 2011, 03:32 PM
To stop using hair spray everyday and to control the flyaways with oil or aloe gel.

Ligeia_13
July 26th, 2011, 03:42 PM
woops! LHC...not LCH :)

When I read LHC anywhere, I always always hear it as "LCH" in my head. Its weird.

I've picked up the CO method.
And castor oil.
I think those are the two most important.

Oldfashioned
July 26th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Coconut oil! Torrin paige suggested it in one of her tutorials and she's the reason I checked out LHC. And of course I got hooked! :D

irishlady
July 26th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Coconut Oil..it's a lifesaver for my dry ends. :)

Bast
July 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Patience and the two-week rule.

americanjan1
July 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah, the two week rule is so hard to follow. I need to force myself to have some patience.

BeccaAngel
July 26th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I can't pick just one, I take every suggestion into consideration. I appreciate the advice I get from this site, I learned way more after I joined than I thought I could. The tips and advice can just keep on comin! :)

ibleedlipstick
July 26th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Three things:
CO washing/spreading out washes.
Nightblooming Panacea

And probably the most important:

It is my hair. I can do whatever I want to with it.

Kosmos
July 26th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Don't brush your hair wet and use wide-toothed combs. Coconut oiling and ACV have also saved my life. I come from a family where nobody knew how to take care of hair and I never thought my hair could look good.

clairenewcastle
July 26th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Catnip rinses.

I'd never heard of catnip being used on hair prior to joining this community.

Yame
July 26th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Bun that hair!

Tressie
July 26th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Updos, oils, sleepcaps, and the caution to "detangle slowly with a wide-toothed comb"! Thanks Madora! :flowers:

Sorry, that's more than one tip! :flower:

Raiscake
July 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Coconut oil! It's been a godsend. :D

summerjade
July 26th, 2011, 09:09 PM
There are so many things I have learned here!! The two that has helped my hair the most is oiling and bunning.

Quezie
July 26th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Oiling my hair, and cwc!

QueenJoey
July 27th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Oils! My new favorite hobby/addiction/guilty pleasure is going down to the health food store and seeing their endless supply of essential oils and carrier oils. Oh, it just make my heart happy.

Also, ACV rinses. "Umm, people dump vinegar on their heads?!" was my first reaction, but I eventually tried it, and I don't get how I've lived without it!

fashionaddict
July 27th, 2011, 01:13 AM
SMT ja CO for sure! :thumbsup:
After I started COing I realized that most of the damage to my hair was done by the harsh SLS shampoos. My hair is so much softer and less damaged now.
SMT was a cherry on the pie if you will. At first, my family was sceptical to say the least about my new hair care routine but after my first few SMTs (and a bunch of compliments) they now accept it and lovingly make their witch-and-her-cauldron jokes when I am whipping something up.:magic:

Sweetie
July 27th, 2011, 01:57 AM
:)soo many things....to summarize....henna and self trimming

erialc
July 27th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Patience... and oiling. Not using sls-shampoo has made the biggest difference, but I started CO washing way before I found this forum.

Seishin
July 27th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Soooooo many to choose from, but for me oiling and henna. Better late than never I say

Jing
July 27th, 2011, 04:06 AM
The marriage of oils and mister bottles! I can't wrap my mind around the idea of properly spreading such a small amounth oil with my fingers, but mixing coconut oil with distilled water works magic. ACV rinses were a revelation, but trying them is what lead me here to begin with.

Aqua Gal
July 27th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hmmmm....maybe self trimming? (sorry, so many awesome things to choose from.)

When my hair was a lot longer I learned to trim exclusively at home. LHC gave me the courage to try it and I really love it.

ashke50
July 27th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Strangely I think the most useful thing I have learnt from LHC is how easy my hair is to look after, comparatively, and how difficult some people's hair can be.
I never understood how people could have unmanageable hair, and assumed it was just a flimsy excuse. Hanging out here has shown me the error of that thought - some people really do have hair that is hard to look after, and requires a lot of care! I can do things for my hair involving lots of care, but if I don't it will still look and behave alright, so I hadn't appreciated how different other hair was.

embee
July 27th, 2011, 12:15 PM
What a challenge.... only *one* best tip? arrrgh...

Maybe it's NW/SO as a routine -
or how to use hairsticks -
or my daily go-to updo?

A year ago it would have been WO as a routine in contest with the hairsticks and updo styles

Perhaps it's the ability to choose a really oddball routine.

Benign neglect is my friend also, but I already knew that before I found LHC.

Jcv-Shelley
July 27th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Don't kill your locks with too much protein. :D

americanjan1
July 27th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I'm so glad I learned to stop using SLS shampoos. I never realized how detrimental to my hair they actually are.

mallorykay13
July 27th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Vitamins!!! Biotin, B complex, Iron!

giuditta
July 28th, 2011, 12:49 PM
No more cones, oiling, how to henna, hairtoys, the list of what I learned in a short time on this forum is never ending :)

Redbeetle36
July 28th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Coconut oil & EVOO, CO washing, hair up, henna (actually I had a love/hate relationship with henna until I realised I had a protein buildup problem-now that's sorted I love henna again!). I would say though that the absolute best thing was finding this site! End of!

racrane
July 28th, 2011, 05:48 PM
One thing only? Well, I figured out heat was bad on my own among other things, so probably switching to no cones would be my answer. Never thought about it before and my hair is so much more wavy/curly now. Makes me very happy.

Ermine
July 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
My CO routine (no cones, dilute it, rinse with ACV). I don't think I would have figured it out if it weren't for LHC and it's doing wonders. That and coconut oil. I've had dandruff to varying degrees for a long time and really didn't want to use the harsh anti-dandruff shampoos which only made my scalp drier and my hair a tangled mess. Saturating my hair and scalp with coconut oil has been so much better for my dandruff. My hair and scalp are much happier as a result. Smells better too!

Oh, and the idea of henna. I've always wanted to dye my hair red (I think I will once it's longer) but the chemical red dyes fade in a couple weeks for me. Henna seems like a dream come true, strengthening hair and keeping it red until it grows out.

LoversLullaby
July 28th, 2011, 07:05 PM
CO washing and no protein. :D

lindaton
July 28th, 2011, 07:35 PM
How to use a hairstick! Never dreamed one little stick could hold all this hair up.

EmiliaF
July 28th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Oils! My new favorite hobby/addiction/guilty pleasure is going down to the health food store and seeing their endless supply of essential oils and carrier oils. Oh, it just make my heart happy.

This! I can not pass any health food store without running in and checking their oil section :cheese:

pineconejg
July 28th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Don't shampoo so often, coconut oil, and keep it up to avoid tangles and tearing.

americanjan1
July 28th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Satin pillowcases!

dulce
July 29th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Oil your ends and don't brush curly hair.

pelicano
July 29th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Try a chelating shampoo. :) Oh and try argan oil.

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2011, 01:29 PM
The hair tips, for the most part was forgotten lore to me. I only did them because Gammy said so. She moved with my auntie in 2000, right before I joined colorguard and fried my hair. She passed away in 2003 and wasn't around to share her wealth of knowledge when I decided to grow out my pixie. LHC is like having my Gammy back. <3<3

But the best, NEW tip I got from the boards? The up dos. The monthly challenges are amazing and absolutely inspirational. I think I've only had my hair loose about two weeks since I started the up do challenge in March (and this is collectively). About a month of that was just basic ponys as I got really lazy in May.

RitaCeleste
July 29th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I co-wash and oil but I picked that tidbit elsewhere. The biggest thing has been I learned a bun and put my hair up some now. Once I got my hair into good condition, the putting it up has seemed HUGE. I didn't think I'd ever wear it up before I came here and found hair toys.

kidari
July 29th, 2011, 03:22 PM
So many CO responses made me want to try it again. Never thought I would say this but I'm also considering stretching washes!

tinfoilsally
July 31st, 2011, 09:03 PM
CO-washing, without a doubt.

sarahbrownie
July 31st, 2011, 09:31 PM
Sock buns! OMG, so fantastic. I wear my hair in a sock bun nearly everyday!