PDA

View Full Version : Interesting new challenge (a long winded thank you)

Misti
July 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Since I completed menopause I have been mildly disappointed with my hair. It went from stick straight and glass smooth to...frizzy, fuzzy...the colour is a pretty silver, but the ends don't look so nice. They're not dry, they're not broken, they're just...frizzy.

I tied moisture, I tried protein, I tried oils, I played and fussed ... many things helped a little, nothing helped a lot. I typed my hair and noticed that when my hair dried staight, it had a cute little curl at the end and a distinctive wave pattern I'd never seen before. I was amused...but I went on fretting.

Over and over again, I saw you ladies asking one another "Perhaps you have more curl/wave than you think? Maybe you're annying your curls by treating them like straight hair?" I read, I nodded, and I went on fretting about my own disappointing locks.

Then, today, the penny dropped. Maybe *I* am annoying *my* curls by treating them like my formerly glass smooth hair liked to be treated... (I used to have GREAT hair.)

I have been laughing all day!

Now, I need to go find out how to handle my (maybe?) newly wavy/curly hair.

But thank you. Thank you all. I have new hope that my hair may one day be pretty and shiny again, if never again straight. :p

kdaniels8811
July 25th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hi, Misti! For the dry (?) ends try catnip tea soaks. Worked like a charm for me. Your hair is beautiful! I love seeing the more mature ladies with long hair (yes, that includes me!)

kdaniels8811
July 25th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Wait - completed menopause? You mean there is a light at the end of the tunnel? I am so glad to hear that....

Slinks
July 25th, 2011, 03:56 PM
good luck Misti :-)

Slinks
July 25th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Wait - completed menopause? You mean there is a light at the end of the tunnel? I am so glad to hear that....
hahahaha lol ... too funny !!

Misti
July 25th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Hi, Misti! For the dry (?) ends try catnip tea soaks. Worked like a charm for me. Your hair is beautiful! I love seeing the more mature ladies with long hair (yes, that includes me!)

Thanks, K. I love to see us cherish our long locks, too. :)

(I have been doing catnip rinses. I found the soaks made my hair way too yellow. (The photo in my sig is a year old and the other older...I'm pretty white now and I have photos in my albums of my (yellow!) hair more recently. But I really should update my pictures.)

There is indeed light at the end of the tunnel, K. Meanwhile, you might find Black Cohosh helpful. ;) Thanks to my old pal BC, I am still married. ;)

good luck Misti :-)

Thank you, Slinks!

Dorothy
July 25th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I'm 43 and in the process and my hair has changed a lot. I Henna, so my hair is red, not silver. However, it used to be completely straight and now I have many more wiry hairs that stick out. I find cassia on the length helps, and camillia oil, SMT's, and sock bun curls! They are hard to roll up on really long hair, but they hold all day. They organize the chaos on the ends, and put gentle waves in the length, rather than each hair doing its own individual wacky thing, which results in a frizzy look.
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88/DorothyatKansas/July017.jpg
in the sun
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88/DorothyatKansas/July016.jpg
and not. This is end of the day sock bun curls.
Your hair is absolutely beautiful. And I'm going to try the custard.

Lostsoule77
July 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Good luck with your new texture. I went through this, although it was during puberty for me. Just be glad it happened to you while on LHC. I didn't find a great solution until I joined here, about 20 yrs after the change! :)

summerjade
July 25th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Hi Misti, Your hair is beautiful!! I love your length and the color and texture and everything about it! I like the idea of letting your hair dry in a bun, it will get rid of any frizz and have a nice wave to it. I like to sometimes sleep in a damp bun and then in the morning I have nice waves.

spidermom
July 25th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Oh the changes! I hate my wirey white hairs with a passion. Thank goodness I have a lot more of the fine silvery hairs; those I like.

Slinks
July 25th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Oh the changes! I hate my wirey white hairs with a passion. Thank goodness I have a lot more of the fine silvery hairs; those I like.

I have one, just one, that likes to stick straight up out of my part .. I pull it out everytime I see it and the ol' pull one grey get 3 in return is completly false !! lol .. and I'm so glad the rest of my silver is fine and like you, spidermom, I like those ;-)