PDA

View Full Version : Waist = Hip?

Kristamommyx3
July 25th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I had a chance to see my hair in the huge gym mirror today, and I was surprised to see that my hair will not be waist length for about three more inches, which is so close to hip for me, that they would basically be one in the same! So frustrating.:mad:
I will never actually get to enjoy waist length hair while heading toward hip, because I'll be in the mid back abyss UNTIL I reach hip. I feel like I'm getting cheated in a way...anyone else have this annoying body structure?:confused:

Alaia
July 25th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hip bones are quite large, though, so you could always count Hip as the bottom or middle of your bones rather than the top, and thus enjoy Waist for a bit longer?

I've only got about an inch or two between my waist and the top of my hip bones, but I count hip from the middle of the bones ;)

spidermom
July 25th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I think waist to hip was the fastest trip from one milestone to the next for me as well. I think the distance is about 3 inches.

ElusiveMuse
July 25th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Same for me, they are practically the same thing.

monsterna
July 25th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I just looked at your pics and can't understand what you're seeing. Your waist and hips are very much separate. Waist is the tiniest part of your midsection, hips are pretty much where low-rise jeans sit on you. You have at least 3-4 inches between them.

Kristamommyx3
July 25th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Where my hip bones start is quite deceiving. If I were to put my fingers on the top of my hip bones, you'd see they are much higher than they "look". However, perhaps my opinion of where my waist starts is lower than where others might perceive it. :confused:

I just looked at your pics and can't understand what you're seeing. Your waist and hips are very much separate. Waist is the tiniest part of your midsection, hips are pretty much where low-rise jeans sit on you. You have at least 3-4 inches between them.

monsterna
July 25th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Where my hip bones start is quite deceiving. If I were to put my fingers on the top of my hip bones, you'd see they are much higher than they "look". However, perhaps my opinion of where my waist starts is lower than where others might perceive it. :confused:

Maybe you're perceiving hips wrong? Not sure. The only bone around your waist is your spine, so if you squeeze in with your hands, it should just easily press in. You can't do that to the hips, obviously, but I don't consider hips to be right at the top of the hip bone. It's more in the middle to me.

Found this image (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f79Txcniat4/TG0ZZfuHvRI/AAAAAAAAAIM/BAc8EYv5e6E/s400/hairlengthchart.jpg), might help.

chahuahuas
July 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM
There's actually alot of different opinions on hip. Some people go by the clothes measurement, which is the widest part of your body, but that would make hip length around the tops of my thighs!

I've decided to go by my hip bones (even though they are so close to my waist as well,) because I prefer to go by skeletal structure. But, if it concerns that your waist is so close to your hip length marker, you could just pick an arbitrary point that is lower.

A lot of members have weighed in on what they consider hip length to be in this thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74300) Personally, I've come to terms with the fact that my hip length is so close to my waist, since the BCL marker is fairly close to hip.

ETA:

Found this image, might help.

That image did not help me figure out waist, hip & bcl, since my body doesn't look like that. I don't have hips like in that diagram at all... I just have really narrow bone structure, like a boy. :? That's why I go by the top of my hip bones, they actually exist. :lol: I could maybe pick an approximate point between BCL and the tops of my hip bones, but I prefer how exact skeletal structure is.

ETA #2:

hips are pretty much where low-rise jeans sit on you.
My low rise jeans actually sit where my hips dip inward slightly, underneath where my hip bones jut out. Like I said, my body is awkward, so I go by my skeletal structure. It's all personal preference.

Kristamommyx3
July 25th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Ok, that's where we differ. I consider, and will count the top of my hip bones as hip. Waist, to me, is dead smack at the smallest part of my torso. For me, the two points actually touch. So, i will have a longer period of time growing hip length of hair. To me, hip is hip when it hits my bones.

Maybe you're perceiving hips wrong? Not sure. The only bone around your waist is your spine, so if you squeeze in with your hands, it should just easily press in. You can't do that to the hips, obviously, but I don't consider hips to be right at the top of the hip bone. It's more in the middle to me.

Found this, might help: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f79Txcniat4/TG0ZZfuHvRI/AAAAAAAAAIM/BAc8EYv5e6E/s400/hairlengthchart.jpg

Kristamommyx3
July 25th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Yah, on the bright side of it all, I get to claim hip soon after I reach waist, which is nice! :D

There's actually alot of different opinions on hip. Some people go by the clothes measurement, which is the widest part of your body, but that would make hip length around the tops of my thighs!

I've decided to go by my hip bones (even though they are so close to my waist as well,) because I prefer to go by skeletal structure. But, if it concerns that your waist is so close to your hip length marker, you could just pick an arbitrary point that is lower.

A lot of members have weighed in on what they consider hip length to be in this thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74300) Personally, I've come to terms with the fact that my hip length is so close to my waist, since the BCL marker is fairly close to hip.

monsterna
July 25th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Maybe this (http://www.primehealthchannel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Iliac-Crest-Pictures.jpg) will help to see where I consider it :p. I consider hip to be the line on the right that says sacroiliac joint.

chahuahuas
July 25th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Maybe this (http://www.primehealthchannel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Iliac-Crest-Pictures.jpg) will help :p. I consider hip to be the line on the right that says sacroiliac joint.

It might help me if I had an x-ray... till I get one, I'm still going by the tops of my hip bones, which I can actually feel :p

Kristamommyx3
July 25th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I think we are all free to consider hip from any point between the top and bottom of our hip bones. :). Whatever keeps us motivated, right?

monsterna
July 25th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I think we are all free to consider hip from any point between the top and bottom of our hip bones. :). Whatever keeps us motivated, right?

Indeed.

I actually think that APL to BSL is the longest for me. It depends where people wear their bras! My bra strap is right under my boobs, so it seems like it's 5-6 inches from APL. It seems like a lot shorter distance for most people....

Kristin
July 25th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I'm the same. I think it took 3-4 months from waist to hip (bones) for me. My hair is now at the top of my pants, which I consider to be a different milestone even though it is still in hip range.

VitisVinifera
July 25th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to go by where your body bends? When you sit down, you're not bending at the waist, you're bending at the hip. Your waist would be the area that dips in when you bend to the side.

Sheltie_Momma
July 25th, 2011, 11:34 AM
On many people, waist lines up with your elbow joint. If that helps anyone.

gracenotes
July 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I think I have a similar body structure. I was figuring out measurements yesterday and I realized that although I just reached waist, I only have 2 inches until hip. I have high hipbones and a short waist, so while there is a defined space between waist and hips, it's not very much.

Kristamommyx3
July 25th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Yes! This exactly!

I think I have a similar body structure. I was figuring out measurements yesterday and I realized that although I just reached waist, I only have 2 inches until hip. I have high hipbones and a short waist, so while there is a defined space between waist and hips, it's not very much.

ghilliegirl_an
July 25th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I have this problem too, Waist, hip and BCL are all within an inch or so of each other with only another inch or two until tailbone. On some days when my hair is poofy it lays about waist, most days it's around hip(I think) and if it's smooth from being in a bun the longest part of my fairytaleish ends(yeah that's what I like to call all that straightening damage:rolleyes:) is definitely BCL, when wet my hair stretches to just hit tail bone. I'm very petite so all my milestones are close together but not as much.

-Ashley

lapushka
July 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Same here. *raises hand* Short waist. My elbow joints actually line up with HL, and even though there's not many inches between WL & HL for me, it's taken several months to get there. Well, technically I'm there (hip when wet). I'm sort of still dangling between WL & HL, although I'm practically there... I think I reached WL (wet) in January. It definitely takes time even when you're short waisted. Have to say, I did have some breakage (blaming permed ends for that one). :(

Anje
July 25th, 2011, 01:36 PM
On many people, waist lines up with your elbow joint. If that helps anyone.
Bodies are weird. I've got a short torso, and my elbows are actually below the top of my hipbones. As near as I can tell poking around in there, I also have very little space between the bottom of my ribs on the side and my pelvis. Maybe a thumbwidth.

princessp
July 25th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Lol, yeah waist to hip was very quick for me too!

Hairizona
July 25th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Just think, by the time you reach BCL none of this will matter anymore...have a cookie, and soon everything will be right as rain...