PDA

View Full Version : Curly hair?

Keller1128
July 24th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Up until I was about 5 years old, the ends of my hair were curly little ringlets. My mom said my hair was getting too thin at the ends, so she cut it and it was never curly again. My nape hairs still get curly sometimes and the wispy hairs around my face do too, but other than that I barely have any waves. It is a bit frizzy air-dried though. I was wondering if maybe it has the potential to be curly again. Thoughts?

Joribear
July 24th, 2011, 08:08 PM
What hair care routine do you use? I had curly hair when I was young, but as it grew longer, it got straighter.

Now I use CO for washing and my curls have returned, so it is entirely possible you still have curly hair, just depends on how you're treating your hair! :)

Keller1128
July 24th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Well, I have been shampooing and conditioning every day for my entire life. Now I'm CWCing (still every day though because I work in an unconditioned warehouse and I get very sweaty and dirty) with the occasional EVOO or Jojoba treatment. I tried COing the other day with VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze that everyone at LHC raves about but it just made my hair frizzy.

whitestiletto
July 24th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I also had curly hair as a young child, then it got straighter when I was older. In fact it sounds just like yours, I had a curly at the nape of my neck and curly wisps around my face. I switched to CO a couple months ago and my hair is noticeably curlier. Definitely give it a solid try. I live in a gross humid hot climate and CO washes my hair just fine. (I use Trader Joe's). I tell my coworkers I don't use shampoo and they can't believe it - "But your hair is so clean!"

Joribear
July 24th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Well, I have been shampooing and conditioning every day for my entire life. Now I'm CWCing (still every day though because I work in an unconditioned warehouse and I get very sweaty and dirty) with the occasional EVOO or Jojoba treatment. I tried COing the other day with VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze that everyone at LHC raves about but it just made my hair frizzy.

Hmm, I use KLS sometimes for my "washing" conditioner, but not my "conditioning" conditioner - if that makes sense? LOL

I usually use a watery conditioner (like the KLS) for washing and a thicker conditioner for after the wash. Have you tried something like that?

Also, you can CO every day, just as you can CWC every day! :)

Keller1128
July 24th, 2011, 08:19 PM
So does Trader Joe's have their own brand of conditioner or something? I hear a lot about that on here as well. Yes, the "washing" and "conditioning" conditioners make sense :) I have Tresemme Naturals conditioner that I could use which is thicker (and Aussie 3MM though it has dimethicone :/ ). How long do you leave the KLS in before you condition again with the thicker conditioner?

Joribear
July 24th, 2011, 08:28 PM
So does Trader Joe's have their own brand of conditioner or something? I hear a lot about that on here as well. Yes, the "washing" and "conditioning" conditioners make sense :) I have Tresemme Naturals conditioner that I could use which is thicker (and Aussie 3MM though it has dimethicone :/ ). How long do you leave the KLS in before you condition again with the thicker conditioner?

The leave in time depends on what I'm doing. Case in point, I did a heavy oiling last night, so I put my washing conditioner on about 30 minutes ago and will be washing it out here shortly. The longer wait time is because of all the oil. If I'm stretching washes for some reason, I'll usually let it sit for about 20 minutes or so. Some people find that applying their washing conditioner to dry hair helps them to know they have gotten all of their hair.

If it is just a normal wash day, I get in the shower, wet my hair, pour on the conditioner and put a shower cap on my head. Then I go about my normal business of washing/shaving/relaxing. Take the cap off, wet my hair a little bit and use my finger pads to scrub my scalp. It is very important to make sure you rinse very, very, very well!

Once I think all the conditioner is rinsed completely, I rinse it some more with a cooler water. Then I add my conditioning conditioner (usually Garnier Triply Nutrition) and rinse as normal.

You might also want to check out the Curly Girl method of hair care. It has made a huge impact on my hair!

Badwolf
July 24th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Up until about a year ago my hair had always been sort of weirdly wavy and super frizzy and fluffy. I started using the Curly Girl method of dealing with my hair a year ago and for the first time my hair actually curled. Before that I knew my hair was supposed to be curly, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to behave. I went through tons of products advertised as for curlies over the years and nothing ever did anything for my hair.

Unnamed
July 24th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I'd say possibly yes! I had loose spirals as a baby, but once my hair was cut...hello dead-straight stuff. When I originally typed my hair...ended up with 1a. Recently, I've found parts of my hair won't go straight even with combing while wet...re-did the hairtyping, and...narrow elongated spirals all the way down/throughout, with a few curlier bits. All but the curlier bits easily go poof (and straight), though....

I should note that my hair was also dyed darker (black) when I originally did the hair typing, every single hair was broken (my hair + brushes = evil!), and I was a pretty obsessive trimmer. Now there is almost no remaining brush damage, and only a few inches of the dyed (and inbetween bleached) hair left, and my hair is essentially uncut other than the brush damage (which I'm hoping is the wurl-eating culprit in my case, and not the trimming).

I have no product recs or other help, as I only discovered my hair's wurliness a couple/few months ago, and I've not even decided what to re-type it as, let alone know what to do with it. But, yes, your hair might have the potential to be curly again, especially given it has some waves! Mine had nothing, no wave, no body, no flip at the ends (well, ends of individual hairs--but not at the 'ends'), nothing. :oops: