PDA

View Full Version : WTH just happened? o.0

aliceinmadness
July 24th, 2011, 06:22 PM
My hair is somewhat wavy...when I say somewhat I mean a fairly irregular pattern that I can manipulate into boho waves easily, but that tends to just be rather fluffy/frizzy when I leave it alone. It will scrunch, but if I scrunch it it will be frizzy AND flat by the end of the day - if that even sounds possible, lol.

So, I couldn't resist the siren call of buying a DT, so I chose Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie - I realize that it's marketed as a styling product for the extra-thick and extra-curly, but I took a look at the ingredients list and thought it would make a great, serious DT for me. I figured since I had nothing on the menu for today, I'd just leave it in my hair and wash it out in the evening...but my head felt really heavy so for some absurd reason I decided I was going to see if it would dry. It did.

...and now my hair looks like this:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/5972232212_80f85c9a55_m.jpg

What...the...___________?!?!

I mean it's not really a complaint, I'm just flabberghasted. I can't possibly imagine that my hair was *that* parched, just based on the fact that it's healthy and shiny all the way to the end. Nor is there anything on the ingredients list that strikes me as curl-inducing...just a long list of moisturizing goodies, with the possible exception of the ammonium salt.

Ingredients:

Deionized Water, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Macadamia Seed Oil, Mango Seed Butter, Avocado Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Aloe Leaf Extract, Silk Protein, Ammonium Salt, Neem Seed Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Pro-Vitamin B-5, Caprylyl glycol, Essential Oil Blend, Honeysuckle Flower, Japanese Honeysuckle, Vitamin E.

WDYT? Is this my natural texture or is this just the freak result of the product itself?

whitestiletto
July 24th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I've noticed that the longer I do CO, the curlier my hair gets. I used to think it was straight, then when I first stopped shampooing I thought it was wavy... but now it gets little ringlets and looks a lot like yours in that photo. My hair requires leave-in conditioner to curl into ringlets.

And just so I can be the first one to say it... YOUR HAIR IS GORGEOUS! Such an inspiration to me, just teetering towards BSL with my wurly hair... I love your princess ends.

Dragon Faery
July 24th, 2011, 06:28 PM
It might be your real texture! Mine gets way curlier the more I moisturize it, and it's usually parched. But I'm a newbie here, so hopefully someone else will have more input.

Mairéad
July 24th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Oh...oh...my. I am stunned by the gorgeousness.

CaityBear
July 24th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Can't say because I don't know but your hair looks gorgeous with those waves! I wish my hair had waves like that but it always hangs soooo straight no matter what.

archel
July 24th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Oh...my...holy honk!! Can I buy this stuff by the gallon??

GabrielleRose
July 24th, 2011, 06:35 PM
My hair is somewhat wavy...when I say somewhat I mean a fairly irregular pattern that I can manipulate into boho waves easily, but that tends to just be rather fluffy/frizzy when I leave it alone. It will scrunch, but if I scrunch it it will be frizzy AND flat by the end of the day - if that even sounds possible, lol.

So, I couldn't resist the siren call of buying a DT, so I chose Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie - I realize that it's marketed as a styling product for the extra-thick and extra-curly, but I took a look at the ingredients list and thought it would make a great, serious DT for me. I figured since I had nothing on the menu for today, I'd just leave it in my hair and wash it out in the evening...but my head felt really heavy so for some absurd reason I decided I was going to see if it would dry. It did.

...and now my hair looks like this:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/5972232212_80f85c9a55_m.jpg

What...the...___________?!?!

I mean it's not really a complaint, I'm just flabberghasted. I can't possibly imagine that my hair was *that* parched, just based on the fact that it's healthy and shiny all the way to the end. Nor is there anything on the ingredients list that strikes me as curl-inducing...just a long list of moisturizing goodies, with the possible exception of the ammonium salt.

Ingredients:

Deionized Water, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Macadamia Seed Oil, Mango Seed Butter, Avocado Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Aloe Leaf Extract, Silk Protein, Ammonium Salt, Neem Seed Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Pro-Vitamin B-5, Caprylyl glycol, Essential Oil Blend, Honeysuckle Flower, Japanese Honeysuckle, Vitamin E.

WDYT? Is this my natural texture or is this just the freak result of the product itself?

WOW!!! :agape: I have been eye balling that product! I have some what wavy hair at times due to growing my hair out, but that makes me wonder if I could try this product and perhaps it may enhance my waves. Once again wow!!! I wonder what continued use would do for your gorgeous hair?!?!

MissManda
July 24th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Yes, my hair gets more wave and body when I moisturize it sufficiently. It doesn't get super wavy, of curse, but there's enough there for me to notice.

Your hair looks so beautiful in that picture! :)

Rini
July 24th, 2011, 06:37 PM
That's some good looking hair!! <writes down product on wish list>

:inlove:

ouseljay
July 24th, 2011, 06:39 PM
... I may need to try this stuff. Darn it.

Are you going to keep using it? If you do, let us know if the results keep up!

wvgemini
July 24th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I love the shea moisture smoothie. :) And your hair is stunning!

aliceinmadness
July 24th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Awww, thanks everyone. I'm starting to blush over here!

lol, I guess I'll have to keep using it! Unfortunately, I do have to wash it out tonight - I thought I was using this as a DT, so it's not like I went easy on the stuff. I rubbed it up onto my scalp, so my roots look really dirty.

BTW, since taking this picture I detangled with a wide-tooth comb and then went through with my fingers. It's still super-defined, but soft and touchable...not crunchy at all! A little residue-y, but not as much as you would think from the ingredients list. I think if I used just a little less it would be more than tolerable.

TrudieCat
July 24th, 2011, 07:15 PM
OMG that's gorgeous!! That's what I've been trying to get my waves to do!! I love it! I'm totally trying this stuff.

I love your haircut, too. Just out of curiosity, is that a salon cut? If so, what directions did you give/which cut did you ask for? If not, what did you do so I can replicate it? :p :D

IndigoAsh
July 24th, 2011, 07:18 PM
You just sold it, haha. I had seen it before but wasn't sure if it would be a waste or not. sooold. Gorgeous hair!

princessp
July 24th, 2011, 07:22 PM
:thudpile: Wow gorgeous!

Keller1128
July 24th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Where did you buy that?

islandboo
July 24th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Wow - that looks amazing!!

Rustella
July 24th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I can't see the picture. :(

SoulOfTheSea
July 24th, 2011, 08:10 PM
:O

That is some magic potion you got there! I have 2b/2c hair, so this might make my hair as gorgeous as your hair in the picture! :D

AnnaJamila
July 24th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Haha! I want what you're using!

Maybe your hair really was that dry! It's beautiful now, though!

monsterna
July 24th, 2011, 08:16 PM
:agape: Ugh. I'm about to cry. That is so my dream hair. Amazing. @_@

ETA: Sucks it has protein in it. My hair is not agreeable to protein. But you as so making me want to try it.

spidermom
July 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Very pretty! I think it's the product. I know that if I generously oil my hair and then get it wet and let it dry without touching it, I get ringlets all over the place.

LisaB234
July 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM
WOW! Your hair is amazing! I looked on Walgreen's website and it looks like this is meant to be a leave in, but for much curlier hair? Anyone else in the 1/2 category who has tried it? I LOVE your results - thanks for sharing!

luthein
July 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Wowwzers! I wanna see what happens to my waves with that stuff!

RitaPG
July 24th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Oh my, that is beautiful! :thud:

Slinks
July 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM
what they all said !!! @<>@ you totally rock it !! :-)

ibleedlipstick
July 24th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Your hair = awesome. My hair looks more like your hair in your siggy pic. If I could get waves like that I would buy that stuff by the truckload. I see an impulse purchase in my future.

krissykins
July 24th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Bah, I want this now, but it has protein. :wail: Your hair is looking gorgeous, though! :)

MagicAndMayhem
July 24th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Wow, your hair looks incredible :heart:

Quezie
July 24th, 2011, 11:54 PM
The ingredients sound dreeeeamy.

I don't think I've ever seen this brand before though. Has anyone in Canada seen it?

aliceinmadness
July 25th, 2011, 12:02 AM
OMG that's gorgeous!! That's what I've been trying to get my waves to do!! I love it! I'm totally trying this stuff.

I love your haircut, too. Just out of curiosity, is that a salon cut? If so, what directions did you give/which cut did you ask for? If not, what did you do so I can replicate it? :p :D

It's sort of a "scene" haircut. Go to google images and you get the idea. I choose a less voluminous, extreme picture and took it in, and told her to tone it down even further - no bits shorter than my shoulders (yes, I do have the side-bangs, but they're not as chunky and deep into the side part - maybe an inch and a half off center). Luckily my hairstylist doesn't get this request often, so she was conservative - but I still got really choppy layers out of it that agree with about anything I want to do. I can even manage to make a neat bun! It's a seriously great cut (gets refreshed about every 3-4 months with a light dusting off my longest ends). Bonus is that because some of it is only shoulder-length, I can get some great volume out of it...pretty much you get the perks of long and short hair at the same time :D

McFearless
July 25th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Your curls were in the closet, thats all. Your hair looks amazing. I need that product! I'm a littler turned off by the curl enhancing part though. I fear type 6 hair lol.

Alaia
July 25th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Wow!!!

Those are some seriously gorgeous wavey curls!!

Be interested to know what your hair is like when you wash it out.

Joliebaby
July 25th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Looks great!! It's all the moisture and perhaps the salt? Isn't sea water curl forming...
I'm interested to see if it has a similar effect when rinsed out!!

I actually have the shea moisture shampoo now, I was going to get the conditioner but it was sold out :) I love my waves and wouldn't mind going a bit curlier..

naereid
July 25th, 2011, 02:26 AM
That's some red carpet hair! :bowtome:

ericthegreat
July 25th, 2011, 05:33 AM
You are definitely a natural wavy/curly. Many people often find that their hair is much curlier than they previously thought once they add back the moisture into their hair. Clearly this new conditioning product you've been using really agrees with you, the picture is all the proof you need!

Scarlet_Heart
July 25th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Wow, how stunning is that? Just beautiful.

My hair was pretty wavey, but henna loosened my curl pattern, plus it's getting longer which pulls the waves straighter as well. But... I'm thinking I might need to try this. ;)

aliceinmadness
July 25th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Wow!!!

Those are some seriously gorgeous wavey curls!!

Be interested to know what your hair is like when you wash it out.

No slip, but it was butter soft. The waves were still quite nice, but of course nowhere near as defined. I ended up twisting it like I normally do.

Theobroma
July 25th, 2011, 08:21 AM
That looks utterly awesome.

Anybody know whether this product is available in Europe, and if so, what name it goes by in the German-speaking world?

cheetahfast
July 25th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Wow, your hair looks so beautiful!! I have to get some of this stuff, I have naturally curly hair that could use a boost.

christine1989
July 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I can't say if it was the product or your natural texture but I want my hair to look that good! I'm going to look for that stuff when I go out today. :)

Chetanlaiho
July 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM
My hair is getting wavier all the time since I started taking care of it but it´s still pretty dry. You´
re making me want to get this product to see if I can get curls as awesome as yours xD

Unfortunately I don´t think we have that one where I live =(

oktobergoud
July 25th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Woah very pretty! :D My hair seems to get wavier as well.. but not always! I'm going to look into this product :D

wendy51
July 25th, 2011, 04:10 PM
That's your real texture =))!

continue like that it's beautiful!^^

darklyndsea
July 26th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I just used it for the first time after my shower, and...I have "braided my hair when it was damp" braidwaves and a lot less frizz. I think my hair likes it!

pixiestar
July 26th, 2011, 01:16 AM
I just want to add WOW, gorgeous hair:D
I will have to try this:)

CrystalStar
July 26th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Wow! Those waves are looking absolutely gorgeous! :)

I've always been jealous of wavy hair being a straighty myself. It looks amazing! :D

teal
July 26th, 2011, 11:42 AM
The ingredients sound dreeeeamy.

I don't think I've ever seen this brand before though. Has anyone in Canada seen it?

Yes, this! Another Canadian here, wanting to know if it's available...

Dina L.
July 26th, 2011, 12:02 PM
wow, your hair looks amazing with these waves!!! :flowers:

Maelyssa
July 26th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Absolutely amazing & wonderful! I have not clue as to whether or not it was the product itself even though I have a feeling that it might be but I'm about to get some for myself & hope for the same results.

Way to go. Your hair is stunning!

JuliaDancer
July 26th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I can't see the photo for some reason... it's showing up as a red X... =(

cheetahfast
July 26th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I bought the product and tried it out on my curls. Even though my hair had a bad reaction to protien before it loved this stuff! My curls are soft and bouncy :)

RitaPG
July 26th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I wish they sold this where I live :( my sister would love this! I swear she has curls, but the products she uses (are very good but) weight it down.

Silverdragn7385
July 26th, 2011, 08:38 PM
That...is beautiful! I absolutely adore those waves!!!! *want want want*

RubyEmpress
July 28th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Wow those are some seriously awsome curls! So much that I was curious enough to go out and buy some of the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. The ingredients are fabulous!

So I tried it on the other night on dry hair and bunned it before my shower and for me it seemed very sticky and hard to spread on my dry hair. So I don't think I can use this personally on my dry hair.

I CO washed with Suave Tangerine conditioner and it had incredible slip in the shower. I got out of the shower and squeezed out most of the water in my hair and tangle teezed. Then, while my hair was still relatively wet I applied a fingernail sized amount over the length (tangle teezed again) and proceeded to remove excess water with microfiber towel.

Results after fully dried...Amazingly soft, shiny hair that was full of body and moisture!

I'm sold.

Kyla
July 28th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Wow.....your hair looks amazing!

My hair always curls more when heavily moisturized, although I have never gotten this fantastic result...