PDA

View Full Version : Nexxus And Split Ends

GoldberryHair
July 24th, 2011, 05:45 PM
So the past month or 2 I've been using that Nexxus Split End Binding cream, and I gotta say I was skeptical, (binding split ends? really? and it was like, 8 or 9 bucks! ((I'm cheap lol)) )

But I have to say I was really impressed. I try to do a S&D every so often, but in between of course I do get split ends. This stuff is really good, I'll most likely rebuy when I'm out. A little goes a long way, I usually do about 3 pumps for all my ends. (I have waist length, thick, fine hair) And it works quite well.

Anyone else try this? Or any other "split end" products? I know there's a lot out there!

catamonica
July 24th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I have used horse shampoo. A few capfuls of olive oil in the shampoo & conditioner. It makes hair soft. I have no split ends because of the shampoo. It makes your hair grow to.

GoldberryHair
July 24th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I have used horse shampoo. A few capfuls of olive oil in the shampoo & conditioner. It makes hair soft. I have no split ends because of the shampoo. It makes your hair grow to.

Really? Are you talking about Mane n Tail? And the olive oil doesn't make your hair greasy?

MidnightStar
July 24th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I've tried the Promend shampoo and conditioner, and today I bought the leave-in treatment but haven't tried it yet. I threw out the shampoo because the sulfates drove my hair nuts (I went SLS-free a month or so ago and apparently now I just can't use them except to clarify once in awhile), but the conditioner is awesome, and it really did work to bind some of my splits together. Only thing is, it doesn't last more than a few washes, and I can't use the conditioner every time I wash, as it's so thick. I got the leave-in as a sort of compromise, so we'll see how that works out. I know nothing fixes splits, but I'm hoping it helps to hold on to my length a little longer...I really want to reach my goal before I have to chop anything off. :)

QueenJoey
July 24th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I use Joico split-end mender. A bit pricey, but it did do the job.

However, it only binded my split ends until my next shower, where the product binding them would rinse out.

joesgirl2011
July 24th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I've never had any luck with Nexxus.

gthlvrmx
July 24th, 2011, 09:10 PM
What are the ingredients to the Nexxus?
Mane and tail won't do for me, it's a ton of protein and silicone, my hair get's dry, tangly, hard, and split with that.

I don't agree with the "repairing" that products claim to do, once it's damaged it's damaged.

Coan-Teen
July 25th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I bought the Nexxus Pro-Mend conditioner and it came with a free sample of the leave-in. I don't have actual splits but I do have velcro ends and I was hoping this product would help. I really liked the leave-in. It smoothed and coated my hair nicely with just the sample size (I'm close to APL, for reference) so a little goes a long way. It definitely helped with snagging.

The leave-in didn't come with an ingredient list but it seems to me the active ingredient in the conditioner is the dimethicone. It also contains a couple oils as trace ingredients, I'm guessing to help increase the slippery factory. I haven't actually hit a wash day yet to try the conditioner but when I do I'll be sure to report back.

Also, gthlvrmx, on the conditioner bottle when it describes how it works, it specifically says that it only repairs the split until the next wash, so while it is a little confusing from a wording perspective, the product isn't actually making false claims. They're just using a less conventional definition of repair. I kind of look at it as a more targeted cone.

gthlvrmx
July 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Also, gthlvrmx, on the conditioner bottle when it describes how it works, it specifically says that it only repairs the split until the next wash, so while it is a little confusing from a wording perspective, the product isn't actually making false claims. They're just using a less conventional definition of repair. I kind of look at it as a more targeted cone.
Ah wait a minute i think i read about this one, i may have seen it at Sally's or something on my trips there once. Sounds like a cone to me :)
I got tired of falling for those false claims -_-

Ligeia_13
July 26th, 2011, 03:39 AM
However, it only binded my split ends until my next shower, where the product binding them would rinse out.

This is what I figured most of these products would do. I mean if the hair is split, surely it can't go back to the way it was?

Coan-Teen
August 26th, 2011, 03:55 PM
So after using about 2/3 of my Nexxus Pro-Mend Conditioner I have to say I'm hooked. This is a conditioner that managed to make my hair feel smooth and slippery without feeling weighted down. I don't actually have splits but it helps my velcro ends lay down a little more and sit a bit better. My hair decidedly loves heavy conditioners. I also found this conditioner helped me stretch washes with more ease. My hair doesn't feel oil-y at all until the third day and even then it's much less. Like the OP, I have fine, medium thickness hair.

Overall I'd recommend giving it a try. I'm sold.

see_turtle
August 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I've been using the night time leave in and I like it. I slather the ends of my braid with it several times a week. It took me a while to find splits the other day and there were only a few that I could find. I gave up after 5 minutes of fruitless searching. That is a good thing...I did have a trim a month ago so I'm thinking it isn't ALL the Nexxus. But the stuff isn't hurting that's for sure. I really like the smell too.
I also have a spray that you leave in washed hair which I'm less enthused about...smells like the chewable children amoxicillin. ( the pink kind)
I have fairly fine hair.
I was going to get their shampoo and conditioner as well but just the conditioner was 25$!:eek: