PDA

View Full Version : Stretching washes

newbeginning
July 24th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I'm trying to stretch out washing my hair as it seems to be getting pretty dry. I have to wash every other day or my scalp gets really itchy. It also seems itchier more than usual lately. I have been oiling my hair but I don't apply it directly to my scalp so I don't think that's causing the itch. I haven't been doing anything else that's different than my usual routine. How can I calm the scalp itch?

88Marisa
July 24th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Try using conditioner only to wash your hair instead of shampooing every time. This will help it not dry out so much and I've found that conditioner irritates my scalp much much less than shampoo.

I also found that just rinsing the scalp well with water can work when your scalp feels itchy or oily but the rest looks fine.

newbeginning
July 24th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I forgot to mention I tried CO washing but my scalp was still itchy.

sharicat
July 24th, 2011, 02:36 PM
CO washing has calmed my scalp down and helps me stretch washes to 4 days - never thought I'd manage that! I think conditioner is a lot less harsh so my scalp doesn't madly over-produce oil. Whatever the reason, I love CO! :)

Madora
July 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Gentle brushing with a bbb might help. Those follicles need exercise and the bristles also help remove stuff from your scalp.

Be careful about washing too often. Too much shampooing can dry your hair out..unless you put something back in to restore what the shampooing took out.

A clean scalp is essential to good hair growth and a gentle shampoo (diluted, if you like) might help your situation.

You might also try an EVOO overnight treatment. Good luck!

Jcv-Shelley
July 24th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Well if the itching is a problem tea-tree oil can aid, or you could try an Acv Rinse. I've also heard of sea-salt working as well. Another thing I do that helps me with stretching is to leave my hair alone. Don't touch it, not even a scalp massage. YMMV though, because some find scalp massaging to distribute sebum more equally. So far I stretch my washes to once a week. I could go more but having the same repetitive wash day (Sunday), is more convenient for me.

longcurlygirl<3
July 24th, 2011, 02:44 PM
maybe it is a certain conditioner or hair product? Because I used a conditioner for like a week and my head itched like crazy!! After a week of no use the itchies went away :)

newbeginning
July 24th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Madora I've tried a BB brush but it didn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think maybe it's the summer heat and air conditioning wreaking havoc on my hair. I have tried ACV rinses but didn't notice much difference. Maybe I'll try more deep treatments.

Jcv-Shelley how do you apply the tea tree oil to the scalp?

Jcv-Shelley
July 24th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Madora I've tried a BB brush but it didn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think maybe it's the summer heat and air conditioning wreaking havoc on my hair. I have tried ACV rinses but didn't notice much difference. Maybe I'll try more deep treatments.

Jcv-Shelley how do you apply the tea tree oil to the scalp?

I've never tried it before but this thread explains some of it.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75965

Also, make sure to do a patch test first to make sure your not allergic to it. Some tea-tree oil mixtures are more potent than others.

newbeginning
July 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I've never tried it before but this thread explains some of it.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75965

Also, make sure to do a patch test first to make sure your not allergic to it. Some tea-tree oil mixtures are more potent than others.

Thanks for the link. I'll try the tea tree oil.

Kathie
July 24th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I agree brushing seems to help, it distributes the oil etc. I dont use a BBB I use a wooden quill brush from the body-shop. I can't imagine a BBB ever making its way through my hair to the scalp. Also I get an itchy/sore scalp if I CO-wash, it just doesn't suit me.