PDA

View Full Version : Scared my hair is falling out

PorkChop
July 24th, 2011, 01:28 PM
For the past week or two and its just happened again right now actually, Ive undone my plait, combed my hair a bit, then replaited it, and as soon as ive put the band in the end, there are at least around five or six full hairs that fall out of the end

This has been hapeneing everytime now for the past couple of weeks, getting worried im losing my hair, eek

kitcatsmeow
July 24th, 2011, 01:31 PM
5 or 6 hairs a day? I believe up to 100 hairs shed per day is normal :)

PorkChop
July 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM
No its not per day, that on its own is a few times a day. Then obviously i have the normal hair loss throughout the day too. I know this is a change in my hair as its never done this before

CrystalStar
July 24th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Is it possible that you could have lower iron intake than usual? I had a random shed that lasted months and lost me about 2 inches of ponytail circumference, and I believe the root of it was iron deficiency!

If you're worried take steps now to try slow the shedding! Take B-Vitamins, increase iron uptake and do scalp massages!

I genuinely believe that scalp massages and vitamins stopped my hair shedding. :)

krissykins
July 24th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Have you changed something in your routine, perhaps? You may experience a slightly increased shed from any changes, but it's not usually something to worry about. :)

PorkChop
July 24th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I do wear it in a plait more, is this harmful in any way to my hair? As i also plait it when wet too, then sleep in it, and sleep with it in a plait every night.

Other than that I wonder if it could be stress? ive just split up with my boyfriend, i hope it isnt that

gthlvrmx
July 24th, 2011, 01:47 PM
If you keep your hair in a braid for an extended amount of time, the shed hairs will fall out but not be able to go anywhere and get stuck in your braid, you'll only notice them once you comb it out or something. It's normal, i get extra shed hairs that come out after i braid my hair every night. And 5-6 hairs?! You are so lucky!

Scarlet_Heart
July 24th, 2011, 01:54 PM
This has been happening to me and few others (also just in the last few weeks). I'm wondering if maybe it's just the very hot weather as I haven't changed anything in my routine either.

I am losing a ridiculous amount of hair after my shower, after combing, after braiding, and feeling loose hairs on my arm when I walk around with it down. It's really starting to worry me. Mega-dosing on Biotin isn't helping either.

I take a multi vitamin but maybe I should try to take some extra Bs or iron, as CrystalStar said... :confused:

I'm at a loss.

bigred199
July 24th, 2011, 02:01 PM
This is happening to me too. It seems to come in cycles around here. Maybe it's just my turn.

Thanks for the tip on the B vitamins and iron--I'm definitely looking into that.

gthlvrmx
July 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM
This has been happening to me and few others (also just in the last few weeks). I'm wondering if maybe it's just the very hot weather as I haven't changed anything in my routine either.

I am losing a ridiculous amount of hair after my shower, after combing, after braiding, and feeling loose hairs on my arm when I walk around with it down. It's really starting to worry me. Mega-dosing on Biotin isn't helping either.

I take a multi vitamin but maybe I should try to take some extra Bs or iron, as CrystalStar said... :confused:

I'm at a loss.

I've heard it's more common to shed more in the summer due to faster growth, so don't fret. Overdosing on biotin can be scary, check with your doctor to see if it's a medical issue that can be causing your shedding, you don't want to overdo anything.

Madora
July 24th, 2011, 02:27 PM
@PorkChop...

Do you brush or comb your hair every day?

Why I ask is this..if you don't brush/comb every day, you're not removing the hairs that fall out naturally.

So when you go to braid your hair, and you detangle first, you'll notice more hairs in your comb because you're combing after two days shedding.

Plaiting is not harmful for your hair, provided you do not pull the plaits tightly. I've found that it's better to only braid down 3/4ths of the way, and the use a hair friendly elastic to hold the braid.

If the shedding persists, then arrange for a referral to a trichologist (hair doctor)...and have a complete blood panel done for anemia and have your thyroid checked too! Good luck!