PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassed at the Beauty Supply store

happybear
July 24th, 2011, 01:00 PM
So I went in today to see if I could find Phyto 9, Someone told me it is good and I just wanted to look at the ingredients etc.

I asked the sales girl where it was and she showed me an then asked what products I use and listed off a pile of shampoo's\conditioner brands (that i shouldn't be using in combination with this product - all drugstore brands pretty much) and I said that I don't use shampoo.

She looked at me as if I had sprouted another head.

I didn't have the heart to say thatIi CO with Tresemme (one of the bad brands she listed) so I said that I don't use shampoo, I said I use bs/water and acv/water (i don't do this much anymore, about once a week rather than everyday).

She looked at me weird again and said something to the effect of "what is the purpose of this" and then "your doing a lot of clarifying and i said "it is really really dilute" then she said that that's only good for stripping color from your hair.

I didn't want to argue, I just wanted to look at the Phyto.....:mad:

Thankfully a customer came in before I had to continue to convo, I felt really weird, and I'm glad i didn't mention that I CO, next time I am just gonna lie and say that I use Paul Mitchel's new fantastic shampoo or something so I don't feel like a weirdo.

FluffSpider
July 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM
hehehe, so instead of saying you were using something deemed normal, albeit bad(tresemme), you said you used something unusual(which for the normal folk is worse than bad?)? :p Outside of LHC, people don't understand CO. Or using exclusively natural stuff. Or other things such as that- I know I've been in loads of bad situations when people asked me what shampoo I used-then I REALLY didn't know what to say, because they were obviously asking me because they wanted it to work, and it would've been...unethical to lie. So I went on a tirade about conditioners and their ingredients. I always got blank stares, awkward silences and raised eyebrows.

In other words, don't be embarrassed that you know more about hair than them.

88Marisa
July 24th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Nothing wrong with being honest, just because she's never heard of it doesn't mean a lot of other people haven't!

I hope CO makes it into the mainstream, it's the best routine for curly girls and it'd be nice if more people knew it's workable in the long term!

Amber_Maiden
July 24th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I know what you mean. I'm lucky my husband doesn't think its weird I only CO my hair and seldom shampoo. He just lets me be me :) I wish more people were the way he is...

darklion
July 24th, 2011, 01:14 PM
whatever... they honestly don't know anything... they're just shopgirls. I used to honestly believe that you HAD to shampoo and condition every single day. Nowadays, I c/o or I use sulfate-free; I use avc to rinse; I oil my hair (unthinkable previously). Shopgirls are educated via the television and advertising... lots of shampoo, lots of products, hairdryers, curling irons, flat irons, hairspray are all used to control hair. They just don't know that there is another way to do things.

mrs.bad85
July 24th, 2011, 01:35 PM
What do you mean you are CO using $0.89 Suave naturals when you should be using this name brand $30 shampoo and matching $30 conditioner right here. That's why your hair is looking so goo...I mean bad.

:cheese:

bigred199
July 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I hate when store employees want to know all your business! I'm pretty sure I've lied to them before just because I didn't think it was something they needed to know. I know they're just trying to be helpful, but it's a real turn-off to my introvert self.

CrystalStar
July 24th, 2011, 01:38 PM
My OH originally found it a bit odd that I washed my hair with conditioner, but fast-forward a couple of months later and it's obvious that it WORKS. That's the best testament to CO! :D

happybear
July 24th, 2011, 01:42 PM
The only person I know who didn't think I was nuts for CO washing was my mom. She works for a chemical company that supplies a lot of the chemicals that go into these products, she knows that there are cleansers in conditioners, so she wasn't fazed.

But I don't talk about my hair care regimen with anyone anymore, it's just easier that way lol

ooo
July 24th, 2011, 02:10 PM
What do you mean you are CO using $0.89 Suave naturals when you should be using this name brand $30 shampoo and matching $30 conditioner right here. That's why your hair is looking so goo...I mean bad.

This! :D

I'm very forward about my routine. Never had any trouble.

MsBubbles
July 24th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Well I admire you for introducing the shopgirl to another concept and making her step out of her comfort zone a bit, even if she did reject it.

I give up in apathy before even engaging in conversation with such people, or even co-workers! I just act like I do the exact same things they do. Just a touch of residual George McFly: I just can't take that kind of rejection. :)

But I admire people who try to show others a different way of doing things. I'd like to get to a point where I can do that with 100% confidence, paying no mind to their derisive replies (aka fear).

Kelikea
July 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah, its their job to SELL products, and they can't do it very well if you don't use any! Ha, ha, we kinda stump them with all of our "real" knowledge.

oktobergoud
July 24th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Ugh I feel your pain. I once had a discussion with a hairstylist over henna. She was just like 'NO HENNA IS BAAAAAD' and ugh it was annoying. I normally just never say I dye my hair with henna because I don't like discussions and I know stylists hate it.. sigh. Oh well, I've had stylists that were familiar with henna as well and they were great about it but still.

Anyway, a bit random, but I've been in the same place.. only a bit different. It sure is annoying!

Kathie
July 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Personally, I think COing would of been better received than the ACV/water BS/water methods :shrug:
I'd happily tell people what methods I use on my hair if anyone asked. I know what works and I'm not afraid to put people in there place if needs be. I guess there just comes a point where you stop caring what people you dont really know think.

Mairéad
July 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM
People always ask me how I get my skin so clear and how I get my hair so healthy and I simply tell them they probably don't want to know. :D

jojo
July 24th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I remember an incident with me and another nurse. she was asking me what I used on my hair to keep it looking so healthy, at the time I was into coconut oil; so told her so. Her response was one of utter disgust, stating it was bad to put oils on hair and would cause breakage. My mind boggled as 2 minutes before she was complementing me on the condition of my hair!!

People sure are strange creatures!

Rustella
July 24th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I CO mostly, and I have found a way of explaining it without raising eyebrows. I ask people if they've seen the late-night infomercials for "Wen", and I tell them I use something similar. Wen is called a 'cleansing conditioner', but it's really just a conditioner with stuff we LHCers use in our hair. I do use something similar for my CO though, I use the Sally's version of Wen, Hair One. I have my daughter using it now too; she's COing and loving it, she just doesn't know that's what it's called. Not wanting anything else used on her hair, she took it to a haircut appointment for our hairdresser to use on her. It won her over, and she said "I can't believe how clean that stuff got your scalp!"

Saying "I use something like that Wen stuff" can work in a pinch if you don't want to go into the details. You wouldn't be lying...it's just a conditioner!

After finding this board and learning about oiling, I actually went into a Sally's and asked them if they had coconut oil or jojoba oil. LOL! I'm sure you can imagine their reaction. One lady was confused about why I was asking for coconut oil in a Sally's. Another one, though, walked up and took me to some "Argan" hair oil. When I immediately turned the bottle over to read the ingrediants, she piped up with "it only has natural ingrediants in it." Another LOL! I shot her a 'you aren't fooling me' look, but I bought it anyway since I do use cones. I've learned to go elsewhere for my coconut and jojoba oil though. :oops:

Rustella
July 24th, 2011, 05:15 PM
So Mairead, what DO you use on your face to keep it clear?:eye:

Mairéad
July 24th, 2011, 05:33 PM
So Mairead, what DO you use on your face to keep it clear?:eye:

Oats and coconut milk to wash, green tea to tone, jojoba to moisturize, and of course sugar and olive oil to scrub. A good montmorillonite clay also never hurt it.

I scare my roommates every year. :D

scorpio_rising
July 24th, 2011, 06:42 PM

Hahahaha, so much this!

I live pretty far outside of the norm in... well, in all areas of life, and I have learned never, ever to get into conversations with people who aren't going to get it. I would have thanked her for showing me and then looked away. None of her business, dang it.

CaityBear
July 24th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Don't be embarrassed. Just say it with confidence. You know what's best for you hair so just keep that in mind. :)

I remember when I first started using my hair cream (a mix of oil, conditioner, and cocoa butter) my cousin asked about it and her only comment...the oil will make your hair heavy and oily. I said, no, I've used it for a few months now, I always use oil, I know plenty of people who use this...she still thought it was not good...yeah...now I have her HOOKED on it. I mean, she uses this stuff after EVERY shower and she LOVES it. Hah, shows what she knew. :P

In the end if they still think it's bad I just say I'm part of a long hair community with a lot of people with extremely gorgeous and healthy, long hair who do this and it works great for a lot of us.

MidnightStar
July 24th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I actually had something similar happen this previous Friday LOL. I went into Sally's because I needed a couple of things - caps, developer bottle, all stuff that made it obvious I was coloring my hair. The salesgirl was really nice and helpful (I'd never been to this particular Sally's before and it was laid out differently than I'm used to) until she was ringing me up and asked if I wanted to throw in an after-color protein treatment. I said, "No thanks, I actually henndigo," not thinking anything of it (I mean, everyone knows what that is, right?) and was met with the most utterly blank, confused look I've ever seen in my life. And then it just got worse when I tried to explain it, and why I didn't need even more protein...yeah. I have no idea what this girl was thinking, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't all that nice.
Oh well. I'm learning not to discuss my hair routine with anyone, because apart from this board everyone just thinks I'm weird at best and gross at worst.

QueenJoey
July 24th, 2011, 06:57 PM
My whole family thought I was a freak when I switched to CO. I'm really nervous about what they'd do if they found out I'm trying to go WO!

MsBubbles
July 24th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Jojo that is one heck of a siggy pic! :blueeek::scared:

TrudieCat
July 24th, 2011, 07:10 PM
If I'm not interesting in talking to a retail employee who is asking questions that are none of his/her business, I'll just say something like, "Thanks for answering my question. I'd like to think a little bit before I decide whether or not to buy this. Thanks again." The second (and basically unnecessary) thank-you tends to reinforce the fact that the conversation is over.

I feel bad for retail employees, especially having been one myself, because there's often a lot of pressure on them to sell particular products or push particular savings cards or deals or whatever, so it's important to be polite. But you are not obligated to tell a stranger anything about your personal life, including your hair washing habits, unless you want to.

Please don't feel embarrassed. You didn't do anything wrong. :flower: You've just got a different way of doing things. World would be boring if we were all the same. :)

RitaPG
July 24th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Lovelies, check this:
When someone asks about your washing routine, tell them you are allergic to an ingredient common in shampoos.
Works every time. :D

Hope this helps ^^'

SoulOfTheSea
July 24th, 2011, 08:04 PM

:rollin: oh my xDD

Keller1128
July 24th, 2011, 08:08 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I went in the other day and asked for jojoba oil but pronounced it like it's spelled instead of ho-ho-ba. They corrected me and looked at me like I was an idiot. Fair enough. Also, when I called Sally's the other day to ask if they had hair sticks, they said, "I'm sorry, can you explain?" I said, "hair sticks. Sticks for your hair." "Oh. No, we don't have those."

VitaR86
July 24th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I know how that feels. I'm enrolled in a beauty college to become a nail tech. I'm surrounded by cosmetologist all the time.

Try mentioning a interest in henna around people that have been brain washed into thinking henna is the devil.

I also had someone say that the reason I had dandruff was because I don't shampoo.

ibleedlipstick
July 24th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I just say it shamelessly. I know that my hair is clean, healthy, and glossy. I tend not to care too much if someone else thinks it is gross or weird, because the people in my life who really matter don't care what I do to/with my hair. I CO, and my boyfriend loves my hair. I only CO once a week (maybe twice, if I have been working out a lot and it has been hot in my area) and am living with my grandmum for a few months to work, and when she mentioned that she never saw me with wet hair I told her that A: I wet bun and B: I only wash it once a week. She said that she only washes her hair once a week and has for a long time. Her hair is quite short, but her hair and scalp is healthy.

Some people will never understand, and you have to let them go. The people closest to you should be able to accept it, especially when your hair looks amazing.

Seeshami
July 24th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Do what I do and look back at them like they have three heads and say, "You use shampoo? You know that's bad for your hair right? Google it."

Slinks
July 24th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Do what I do and look back at them like they have three heads and say, "You use shampoo? You know that's bad for your hair right? Google it."

:lol: will do !!

Slinks
July 24th, 2011, 11:54 PM

lol ... yeah I thought so too :-) hi Jojo :poot: :eyebrows: lol

Slinks
July 24th, 2011, 11:57 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I went in the other day and asked for jojoba oil but pronounced it like it's spelled instead of ho-ho-ba. They corrected me and looked at me like I was an idiot. Fair enough. Also, when I called Sally's the other day to ask if they had hair sticks, they said, "I'm sorry, can you explain?" I said, "hair sticks. Sticks for your hair." "Oh. No, we don't have those."

well, thanks for saving me :-) I would have said it the same way ..

Slinks
July 25th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Oats and coconut milk to wash, green tea to tone, jojoba to moisturize, and of course sugar and olive oil to scrub. A good montmorillonite clay also never hurt it.

I scare my roommates every year. :D

lol .. yep, no wonder you say "you wouldn't want to know" sounds interesting :-)

Sundial
July 25th, 2011, 01:05 AM
It's ok! I've experienced something similar too. It's best to stick to conventional answers :p I just stocked up on bottles of conditioner and the cashier couldn't resist asking why I would use so much conditioner. She wanted to know how fast I go through a bottle.

Reality: 1 bottle every 2 weeks since I use it for SMTs, CO, CWC, regular S&C, etc

But I told her that I have long hair and tend to go through conditioners faster than short hair and that my whole family uses the same conditioner so it made sense to stock up :o I hate having to cover up but I don't think they would understand if I tried to explain things to them

Lollipop
July 25th, 2011, 01:36 AM
You know the whole "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent"? Well, that. When I first started pursuing alternative haircare methods, I did feel ashamed and embarassed, but after a while with consistently good results I became more and more secure. While I won't push it on people that obviously don't want to listen, I am happy to share with people that do. Oh, and there's another awesome quote that goes something like "good hair is the best revenge." :cool:

|Xei
July 25th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I've found, on several occasions, that people tend to accept out-of-the-norm hair care methods more easily if you compare it to some form of skin care. I used to CO only for awhile, and when I told one of my friends about it, I explained that its like using a non-foaming cream wash for the face. She seemed to have understood and accepted it easily.

Another time, I was telling someone about hair cuticles and how cold water helps them lay down. To make it easier to understand, I said that it's like how people use toners to close their pores.

jojo
July 25th, 2011, 05:55 AM

scary isnt it? I actually remember thinking omg my hair and that was before I found LHC!

jojo
July 25th, 2011, 05:57 AM
lol ... yeah I thought so too :-) hi Jojo :poot: :eyebrows: lol

:waving: hi Slinks, its my horror photo of me getting my hair done for my wedding in Vegas!

Scarlet_Heart
July 25th, 2011, 06:22 AM

:laugh: Actually, they DO have hairsticks! At least, I saw them at my Sally's. They were plastic and they only carried them in black and tortoise.

Am I the only one who gets a kick out people's stupefied reaction to my hair methods? I don't feel embarrassed at all because I know I'm treating my hair better than they are treating theirs. My best friend thought, initially, that my routines were really weird. But she's been complimenting me on my hair lately and I'm sharing some of my products with her now.

Vani1902
July 25th, 2011, 08:11 AM
:laugh: Actually, they DO have hairsticks! At least, I saw them at my Sally's. They were plastic and they only carried them in black and tortoise.

Yes, I made the mistake of wasting 4 bucks on those hairsticks. They are horrible. I wore the black ones ONCE and they became bent. I want my 4 dollars back. -_-

dragonmyst
July 25th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Yes, I made the mistake of wasting 4 bucks on those hairsticks. They are horrible. I wore the black ones ONCE and they became bent. I want my 4 dollars back. -_-

I am actually using one of those right now. I don't like it but it is all i have. And yes, it is bent :(

Scarlet_Heart
July 25th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Yea, I passed. I like sticks in fun colors or that have something interesting to them. Plus they were plastic so I figured they might be chinsy.

ouseljay
July 25th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I just bought those hairsticks since I needed something waterproof. They're definitely not as sturdy as wood, a little flexible, but I must have gotten a good batch since I've managed to wear them frequently without bending them. I actually kind of like them at this point.

Scarlet_Heart
July 25th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I just bought those hairsticks since I needed something waterproof. They're definitely not as sturdy as wood, a little flexible, but I must have gotten a good batch since I've managed to wear them frequently without bending them. I actually kind of like them at this point.

I like these (http://www.etsy.com/shop/PacificMerchantile?section_id=7638675) acrylics. They're tough as nails and can get as wet as you please.

ouseljay
July 25th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I like these (http://www.etsy.com/shop/PacificMerchantile?section_id=7638675) acrylics. They're tough as nails and can get as wet as you please.

Thanks. :) I definitely looked at those, but the $4 Sally's hairsticks were about all I can justify spending right now. Hopefully when they eventually break I'll be in a position to buy some nice acrylics, at least they're fine for now.

Amraann
July 25th, 2011, 11:21 AM

I love this reply!

I actually do not mind telling what I use or saying I do not use shampoo.
The shock on their face is priceless and I do not care what others think.

ColoradoDreamer
July 25th, 2011, 12:08 PM
After I'd been regularly COing for awhile, I went in for a trim and my stylist asked what I'd been doing to make my hair look so good, so I told her about CO. She interrupted me and told me that I should never get conditioner on my scalp, as it can make my hair more oily. Um . . . you just told me my hair looked good and now you're contradicting that? I figured it was just her spouting back what she'd learned in cosmetology school and let it go in one ear and out the other.

I mean, don't compliment me on something I've been doing successfully for a couple of years and then tell me in almost the same breath that what I'm doing doesn't work.

My stylist is a long-time friend, so I just put up with her ignorance on this subject. She is the only person I trust to cut my hair, so I guess it's worth putting up with a little ignorance.

Rustella
July 25th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Thanks! I already scrub with sugar, and I have jojoba coming in the mail. I'll have to try it as a moisturizer, and look for this clay you speak of.

Rustella
July 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM
After I'd been regularly COing for awhile, I went in for a trim and my stylist asked what I'd been doing to make my hair look so good, so I told her about CO. She interrupted me and told me that I should never get conditioner on my scalp, as it can make my hair more oily. Um . . . you just told me my hair looked good and now you're contradicting that? I figured it was just her spouting back what she'd learned in cosmetology school and let it go in one ear and out the other.

I mean, don't compliment me on something I've been doing successfully for a couple of years and then tell me in almost the same breath that what I'm doing doesn't work.

My stylist is a long-time friend, so I just put up with her ignorance on this subject. She is the only person I trust to cut my hair, so I guess it's worth putting up with a little ignorance.

My daughter brought her CO stuff in to a haircut appointment and had our hairdresser wash her hair with it, as she did not want to change from her routine. Our hairdresser did it, and was won over by how well it worked. She was also won over by henna after telling me not to do it. I started using henna anyway, and explained to her what I'd learned in my research. After a few more cuts and seeing how well my hair was doing and loving the color, she asked me for websites so she could learn more about henna. I've learned usefull things from her as well (such as not washing every single day), so it's reciprical. :)

Vani1902
July 25th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I actually bought them for the same exact purpose. lol All I had was wood so I needed something that I wouldn't be afraid to use on a rainy day or trip to the beach. Afterwards, I bought acrylic so those hairsticks don't get much use anymore. When you can, go for the acrylic ones. Those are tough!

Henrietta
July 26th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Yeah... I'm afraid that after a few trials of telling the world how fantastic CO is and that it's bad to brush wet hair... we all stop evangelising. People are hard to convince. They just insist on washing everyday with any shampoo, blowdrying and using a plastic brushes. Nevermind.