PDA

View Full Version : Curlies and Ponytail Circumference?

chahuahuas
July 24th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Okay curlies, how do you measure your pony circumference? I've been thinking that the corkscrew ringlets will take up more volume than straight hair, possibly making for an inaccurate measurement.

Do you try to correct the added volume in any way, such as wetting your hair to flatten the curls, or just squeezing your measuring tape tighter?

ETA: And you're I'm at it, maybe you curlies can give me advice on S&Ding with ringlets! I find it difficult to spot some of the split ends that aren't at the ends of my hair, since the ringlets seem to hide them. (like, the split ends that are in the middle of a curl clump.)

I've seen S&D tutorials on twisting strands so the splits pop out, but that didn't seem to work for me. Should I wait until my curls have loosed a bit due to a bun or braid? Can I S&D while it's wet?

Kaijah
July 24th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I measured my circumference on post-bun, oiled hair, because that's the closest I can get to straight-and-laying-flat. Basically, as compact as possible - you want to measure your hair not the air. :D If I measured when it was curly... even smashing it down with the tape, I can get something ridiculous like 8 inches (as opposed to 4.25-4.5 compacted).

I also tend to S&D on braided or post-bun hair, heh. When it's curly they're much harder to find... I never found the twisting helpful, either. Bright fluorescent light or sunlight, or sitting in front of the computer holding hair in front of the screen seems to work best for me on dry hair.

princessp
July 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM
My curls don't get in the way of this at all, maybe because I am more like a wurly than a curly. :) Anyway, I make sure the pony and the tape are both really tight before measuring.