PDA

View Full Version : My hair is normal!

Astroflammante
July 24th, 2011, 07:30 AM
To explain why this is a joy to me: Last time I had long hair I was in my teens. My mother was constantly nagging me to cut it, because she thought it was thin and I shouldn't have long hair. Because people with thin hair Should Not Have Long Hair. So, being a rebellious teenager I persisted in having (not very well cared for) BSL hair.

Then I grew up a bit, lost weight, gained a bit of self-confidence, and started to care more about my appearance. And cut my hair, since every bit of beauty advice I saw inevitably said that people with long faces and thin hair (like me...) must not have long hair.

Now, a good ten years later, I have grown up enough to realise that I want to have long hair, and I don't care what other people say I should look like. So I started to make an effort to care for it properly, found LHC and lurked for a bit.

And here I found others with hair that looked like mine, only a meter longer! People with classic length i thickness hair that looked fabulous.

So when I finally joined, I just put i thickness in my profile without measuring, because I have always been told I have thin hair, and it looks shiny but my buns are puny. But today I actually got around to measuring... And my ponytail is 6,5 cm (2,5 inches)! It's still on the thin side, but it's way better than I thought!

:cheese:

(Summary for those who dislikes "wall of text" posts: I have much more hair than I thought! Yay!)

EmiliaF
July 24th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I can totally relate! I have always been told by the one hairstylist I went to that I have thin hair. I went to that hairstylist since I was very little because she was a friend of my mom. I did have very fine hair as a child, but it thickened during my teens. But still when I went there she always told my how thin my hair is. Once I changed hairstylists because I lived in the US for a couple of years the hairstylists suddenly started to tell my how beautiful my hair is and they wish they had hair like mine...

I guess people have different opinions (sometimes even motives.. my first hairstylists is the mother of one of my best friends that I was always in a contest with as a kid).
The most important thing to realize really is that it's your life, your hair, your decision. :D

embee
July 24th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Heh. I also have long thin hair, straight also. And a high forehead. And was told the same - should have short hair, and in my case also a perm.

Tough. I love long hair, I enjoy my "mean library lady" look, and those who object can just find other people to pick on! :D

Age is a wonderful enabler, don't you think? :)

Astroflammante
July 24th, 2011, 09:03 AM
@EmiliaF: I agree, people often have ulterior motives for their hair advice. By now I'm pretty sure my mother's reason for griping about my hair wasn't really about the length. It was likely her wanting to make me into a "normal" person, exactly like herself... It didn't work. :-) And you do have beautiful hair! I hope mine gets that long too.

@embee: Yes, becoming old enough to stop caring so much about other people's opinion is very freeing. And I am a librarian, I don't mind fitting the stereotype with the glasses and the bunned hair... :-D

McFearless
July 26th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Great to hear :) Hair is beautiful no matter how thick or thin it is!

Eolan
July 26th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I was told I should not grow my hair, because it was to thick. Errr, what? My pony circumference is... Oh, I don't remember, but I'm in the average thickness category anyway. So not very thick. I have also always been told I have stick straight hair. I don't. It's wavy. It's very obvious it's wavy, once you look at it. People (hair dressers) tell you all sorts of strange things.

I'm happy you're happy with your hair! :D

Mingle
July 26th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I find thin hair to be a lot softer... I envy that.

christine1989
July 26th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I noticed that you classified it as fine as well. A lot of people think thin hair and fine hair are the same thing when that is not the case. Perhaps some of the people who criticized your hair for being "thin" really meant fine. At any rate, it's great to discover that your hair is thicker than you thought! Don't be surprised if you find it getting even thicker as you take better care of it- mine went from an i (in a heat damaged bob) to near iii now after a few years of good care.

Mesmerise
July 26th, 2011, 03:27 AM
I noticed that you classified it as fine as well. A lot of people think thin hair and fine hair are the same thing when that is not the case. Perhaps some of the people who criticized your hair for being "thin" really meant fine. At any rate, it's great to discover that your hair is thicker than you thought! Don't be surprised if you find it getting even thicker as you take better care of it- mine went from an i (in a heat damaged bob) to near iii now after a few years of good care.

i to almost iii, wow!! I wonder what mine has the potential to become? (Not iii I don't think hahaha I've never had thick hair...) I'd be happy with average!

It's nice to learn your hair isn't "thin" after years of people telling you it is :rolleyes:.

Alaia
July 26th, 2011, 03:49 AM
It's funny what people's perception of thin and thick hair actually turn out to be.

Glad you've had a great surprise! :D

I've been from iii to i and back to ii/iii again, and it's a wonderful feeling to be thicker again.

gabee
July 26th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I have fine thin hair as well, that I have kept above shoulder length for years because everyone told me "thin hair should be kept short". I am now determined to prove them wrong!! Actually since I joined LHC (and lurked for a while lol), I noticed that there are a lot of members with hair finer than mine and its still long and beautiful! I've always envied thick hair, but LHC has helped me love my hair the way it is. I think my hair is also getting a bit thicker since I started caring for it :D

Anje
July 26th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Some of us also have compactible hair, so no matter how it looks when it's down, we get puny buns. I wouldn't be surprised if you fall into that category.

Glad you've decided to do your own thing with your hair!

(I also have a 2.5 inch circumference, and unlike some folks here, I'm pretty sure it's not going to go up. It's always been this thickness.)

vanillabones
July 26th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Nobody has ever told me that I should keep my fine, thin hair short. I had it very long as a pre-teen and early teen. I thought myself that it looked too thin and stringy and I cut it all off and have kept it in a pixie ever since. I look awesome in a pixie! I've always wanted long hair though and now thanks to LHC I can pursue these dreams with confidence. I am glad you can too :) Long soft delicate hair is so beautiful!

Henrietta
July 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I like your "summary" trick :D

See? Not only have you got more hair than you thought, but obviously you can grow it super long :) Happy hair journey! :flower: