PDA

View Full Version : Rehab after razoring hair?? Help...

jenjen10
July 23rd, 2011, 09:17 PM
So, I was fed up with my hair (and going through a breakup... bad combination! LOL) about 6 weeks ago and went to get a haircut. The lady asked if she could do a "little" razoring and I stupidly said yes.

Well, she did a TON of razoring... I swear I could almost hear my strands of hair screaming (only you LHC-ers can probably understand this statement!).

Now, six weeks later, my hair feels awful and I blame that... it just doesn't feel soft anymore. I tried doing a major S&D but that hasn't seemed to do it. Has anyone managed to recover from something like this??

For reference, my hair is BSL and usually quite resilient.

AlannaMaria
July 23rd, 2011, 09:37 PM
Oh, I did this two years ago...only I asked the stylist to chop it up as much as she could. *Shudders* I'm donning a much softer look now, although I forgot the details as to how I eventually fixed it...I didn't know a thing about proper hair care back then, so I think it was just benign neglect...I'd say your best bet would be to baby your hair for a little while with some oil treatments, wearing it up, etc...Good luck!

UltraBella
July 23rd, 2011, 09:38 PM
I love razor cuts on my hair, but it has to be a brand new razor. A dull razor can definitely damage your hair, but so can dull scissors.
You said your hair does not feel soft anymore, try to determine if it is your entire length or just the ends. A razor will not damage your entire lengths, only your ends.

whitestiletto
July 23rd, 2011, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure if it's the razored layers or the dyed ends on my hair, but it really sucks unless I use a coney leave-in conditioner, in which case it looks great. I use TIGI Peace Love Planet - Cherry Almond Leave in conditioner and I order it from Amazon. I would recommend that. It has a lot of ingredients so I don't know if it's the cones, for example one of the first ingredients is aloe vera juice.

Madora
July 24th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Have you tried an EVOO treatment on dry hair? I found it very effective in making my hair feel even nicer (although my hair was very soft from brushing for years). EVOO (not much of it!) also gave fabulous slip, a big plus in my book!

Peggy E.
July 24th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Because I'm none too bright, when I saw this title I had a horrible flash of your having shaved your head. So, when you consider this scenario, the razoring you experienced was not nearly so awful!

Of course, anything that has damaged your hair is frustrating, particularly after you take such care to treat it right, keep it healthy.

But that's the beauty of hair - it just keeps on keepin' on! All the evil we bestow upon it will be shaken off in time, with the proper care back in operation. It just will take time and patience - something to look forward to!

Sorry that things have been going so wrong for you lately. Hope that this incident will mark the end and there is a sunny day awaiting you when you open your eyes in the morning.

BabyRay33
July 25th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Cones. My hair is recovering from razoring in OCTOBER!!!

Anje
July 25th, 2011, 03:27 PM
It could be the razoring, but before you do anything drastic like trimming off all the razored ends, I'd suggest you clarify your hair and do a moisture treatment. Might as well rule out the easy alternative possibilities first, right?

dulce
July 25th, 2011, 06:30 PM
1 had multiple layers razor cut in my hair 2 years ago.As 1 started to grow them out right after the layer cut , they stuck out all over the place and when 1 checked the layered razored ends they were all damaged so 1 dusted all my layer ends to get rid of the razor damage and now they are fine.1 also oil all my ends nightly and that will help keep all the ends healthy.No more razor layers for me, now am going for a blunt hem.

BlazingHeart
July 25th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Mine had to be trimmed out. It was like velcro and the tangles...oh god the tangles. Good luck with yours, I hope you will have better luck than I did

Kathie
July 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I find that my hair doesn't feel soft after razoring. I will run my hands down my hair and at the point where the razoring starts it doesn't feel as soft and smooth because what I'm feeling is uneven ends. If can take a bit to get use to, but, more often than not, its not damage. But just to be sure- take a good hard look at your ends and decide whether they're damaged or not.
If not, the only prescription is time.

ericthegreat
July 25th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Razoring is absolutely terrible on your ends. The only real way to improve the health of your ends after a bad razor haircut is to slowly enter a a gradual process of trimming off your ends bluntly with ONLY a haircutting SCISSOR. Certainly don't use another razor or a thinning shear or any other kind of cutting instrument, just a haircutting SCISSOR. Keep trimming your ends evenly with a haircutting scissor over the course of several months, allowing your hair to grow in between the trims and slowly your ends with thicken up and become healthy again.