PDA

View Full Version : Brushing your hair.

AshleyTheRed
July 23rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
I usually brush my hair with a wide tooth wooden comb, to prevent frizz,
but today I bought my first boar bristle brush. My hair looks amazing! :D
So from now on I'm using the wooden comb in the mornings, and to detangle, and the boar bristle in the evenings.

What do you brush your hair with? I think some people only detangle in the shower? A normal hairbrush?

I think I read something similar to this, but I couldn't find it! :/

Alaia
July 23rd, 2011, 05:01 PM
I use currently two items to detangle/brush.

I have a wide toothed comb which actually does the detangling part, and then I follow that up with a BBB in the George Michael method (upside down). I'm sure Madora will be along at some point to explain it better.

I only do this with dry hair, and frankly I think part of the reason why I get away with it is because I have stick straight, extremely fine hair. It doesn't poof.

I used to just use a Denman paddle brush and it worked well, but now I'm doing the above method to see if it helps more and keeps my hair in better condition.

TheCaityCat
July 23rd, 2011, 05:06 PM
I use a wide-tooth comb to help detangle my hair and part it while it's damp. If I don't part it while it's wet, there's no telling where my hair will decide to go. It seems to have a mind of its own while it's this short.

I also use a boar bristle brush in the evenings to detangle/distribute sebum before I go to bed. Then I brush it again briefly before I shower so that it's less tangly when it gets wet. I've seen a significant improvement in the shine and softness of my hair since I start using this brush.

Madora
July 23rd, 2011, 05:49 PM
@AshleytheRed...

I've been brushing my hair with a pure bbb since 1960, when I discovered the principles of Dr. George Michael, the famed "Czar of Long Hair".

But long before I found him, my maternal grandmother had always extolled the benefits of using a bbb!

Brushing is an excellent way of keeping your hair healthy and clean and there are additional benefits as well:

1) distributes the natural sebum down your strands
2) exercises your follicles
3) imparts a lovely shine and softness to your hair (over time)

The bristles of the boar bristle brush are the closest in structure to the human hair and interact well with most hair providing, however, that you BRUSH correctly! Curlies would probably do better using a wide tooth comb because of the delicate structure of their hair.

Here is the gentlest way to brush, as told by Dr. Michael:

1) Bend at the waist (or sit in a chair, if it is more comfortable)
2) Bring all hair in front of you, like a curtain
3) Take your wide tooth comb, and taking a THIN (finger sized) portion of hair, start at the ends and slowly work up the strands, combing out small sections at a time, until you reach the scalp.

4) When all hair has been detangled, take your boar bristle brush and gently brush from the nape to the ends.

5) Follow EACH swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand. This cuts down on electricity engendered by the brushing.

6) Number of strokes:

A matter of preference. Mr. Michael advocates 100 strokes a day, in the morning, when you get up (the best time for brushing..it has something to do with your circulation being at its optimum point at that time).

The 100 strokes is not written in stone. You can do 50, 25, 15. The thing is to be consistent and do the same amount every day.

However, if you do decide to try the 100 strokes a day method, start out slowly. Don't do the 100 all at once..for your follicles will HURT because they are not used to being brushed in the "bent at the waist" position.

Start with 10 strokes and add a few each day, until your scalp is comfortable with the number you have chosen. Do not rush when brushing!

The boar bristle brush -- a few facts:

1) The boar bristles can be white/black/brown/blonde
2) They can also be thick or thin, long or short
3) The stiffness of the bbb varies greatly! Some can be so soft they're only good for babies. Others are very stiff. The stiffness of your bristles will decrease with useage.
4) When you buy your brush, always feel the bristles for stiffness AND hold the brush and see how it feels in your hand. Is it comfortable to hold? Is it too big?
5) Your brush should lie FLAT...no curvature. A brush with a curve will not work well with long hair. The hair tangles and becomes a mess. The curved bbb is meant for short hair.
6) Your bbb needn't cost an arm and a leg! Target/Walmart/Walgreen's carry bbbs priced at less than $15

Your bbb will last for years with proper care. It should be kept squeaky clean and washed every other day.

Just put a dab of your shampoo in a tall, plastic bottle with a wide mouth, and add 8 oz of warm water. Stir thoroughly and then pop in your bbb so that all the bristles are submerged.

Let it sit for 7 minutes then rinse thoroughly with cold water.

Fan the bristles several times with your fingers then shake it well, and wipe off all the wooden parts with a towel.

Place the brush - bristles side DOWN - on a lint free cloth.

And please, for the love of your hair, DETANGLE it FIRST before using the brush!! A brush is not a detangler.

I love my Goody pure boar bristle brush (I'm on my third one, since 1970!)

luthein
July 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
A Tangle Teezer recently replaced my brushes. I sometimes use a BBB to smooth down my canopy.

aliceinmadness
July 23rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
Madora, could you be so kind as to elaborate on why you shouldn't use synthetic bristles?

Kelikea
July 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
I have a wide tooth comb for wet hair and a "Goody" copper plated brush for dry. Sometimes I don't even comb when wet, just wait for it to dry. But I do brush my hair at least once a day.

silverjen
July 23rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Oh, yes, BBBs are the bomb. I just splurged on a Mason Pearson brush, and use it every night before bed. It's the one with the mix of nylon and boar bristles. The nylon sticks out a little further than the boar, and provides a nice head massage. I really do see an improvement in shine and softness.

Some people do say to avoid the nylon bristles, but I haven't seen any negative effects. As long as you detangle and brush slowly, they have been fine, in my experience.

Madora
July 23rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
Madora, could you be so kind as to elaborate on why you shouldn't use synthetic bristles?

Hi, aliceinmadness!

I was told by Mr. Michael himself that synthetic bristles created heat and friction when used on the hair.

Also, I had a friend in high school with beautiful red hair (shoulder length) who decided to get a nylon bristle brush when her boar bristle brush gave up the ghost.

She didn't change the way she brushed her hair..and within a short period of time her beautiful hair was ruined by the synthetic bristles.

The advantage of using a pure boar bristle brush is that the structure of the boar bristle is closest to the human hair (according to Dr. Michael).

The effectiveness of the bbb depends on the texture of the hair, the brush itself, and how you use it. There is more to brushing than just applying the brush to the hair and then having at it.

I had very, very thick hair when I was younger and a bbb gave me all the shine and softness one could hope for and I followed the 100 strokes a day regimen to the letter for years.

Kathie
July 23rd, 2011, 08:22 PM
I try to brush in the evenings- when I remember my hair feels so soft. Also, I've been extending my washes- I can make it to 4 days now but my scalp starts to get really itchy. I think I need to brush regularly to distribute natural oils etc so that I can make it to 4 days without too much hassle. Otherwise I use a wide tooth comb to detangle and then sometimes a brush to get my hair up into a style. Also, I'm using a body shop wooden quill brush which is made from bamboo- so it’s still natural.

AshleyTheRed
July 23rd, 2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks Madora! I'm glad you told me how to clean the brush! :D

LoversLullaby
July 23rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
I use a Body Shop wooden wide toothed comb to detangle, and a Conair 100% BBB to brush. I brush upright for about 20-25 strokes in the mornings after detangling and before oiling. Works for me.

aliceinmadness
July 23rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
Thank you, Madora. That clarifies things.

MeganE
July 23rd, 2011, 11:26 PM
I had a BBB with the nylon bristles that I was using for a while and it worked fine at first, but then it seemed like my hair suddenly had a lot of damage that I couldn't explain. I didn't think much of it until I noticed the nylon bristles. (I'd thought it was 100% BB.)

I tried pulling the nylon bristles out, which made me examine them closely. I noticed that the edges of the nylon pieces appeared rather jagged. It looked like a thinnish rod of plastic was cut with a razor at an angle and then stuck in the brush.

So I started wondering just how sharp those edges were. I dragged the brush across my skin to test the edges, and they left scratches behind. Those sharp ends seem to have shredded my fine hair.

Contrarily, the BBB doesn't scratch at all. So...I will never use a brush with nylon bristles in my hair again!!

And in the spirit of the thread, my pure BBB is amazing, and I probably brush my hair way more than is really necessary.

I actually go against common advice and I do use mine to detangle. I've tried combs, and tangle teazers, and I've found that my soft BBB is the best for gently removing tangles, whereas the combs and tangle teazer seem to encourage knotting at the ends. I'm guessing it's probably because my hair is ridiculously baby fine.

EmiliaF
July 24th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I just recently bought a horn comb, which I now absolutely love. I was always looking to buy a wooden comb but once I saw how much you pay for them here ($15) I decided I could just directly go for a horn comb ($25). It slides through my hair effortlessly. I use that for detangling. After that I follow up with a BBB.
I mostly use the BBB to distribute oils or to brush out cornstarch that I use as a dry-shampoo.

Firefly
July 24th, 2011, 07:46 AM
I don't like to brush, and do it rarely. I have a BBB and a TT, and both really seem to plaster my hair to my scalp, so I get triangle head (and I'm at waist!!) I can't use them upside down/bent at the waist either, or I get a HUGE poofy lion's mane. SO. I use the BBB once in a while to distribute oils and the TT once in a while for quick detangling (going from the ends up). Most days though, I either finger comb, or use my Madora.

islandboo
July 24th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I use a horn comb or tangle teezer to detangle, then follow up with an oiled superfine wood comb or BBB

Vlientje
July 24th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I actually use just a very cheap brush, works fine xD

AshleyTheRed
July 24th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I actually use just a very cheap brush, works fine xD

My mom does to and she has hip length hair!

Saeth
July 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I use my fingers/wooden comb to detangle my hair, from ends to roots. Then I use the BBB, it's only a tiny, soft bristle one. I've had it for about a week and I've already noticed how amazingly soft it is making my hair, even the ends. I use the method Madora uses. 40 strokes on both 'sides' very slowly and gently. Yeah it can make my hair look a bit flat at the roots but I use it only before I go to bed. By the time I wake up in the morning it's fine. It really helps my roots to look less greasy too. And I love it for updos. I paid £6/$13 ish for it, nothing fancy :) I've seen plenty of plastic/nylon brushes go for a lot more!

jojo
July 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I detangle with a body shop wooden comb and I use a pure Mason Pearson BBB twice a day using Madora method. I have been doing this since April and since doing this I get hardly any split ends, my ends are moisturised and my hair shines like never before. Thank you Madora, you have been a great teacher and friend to me xx

newbeginning
July 24th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I didn't have any luck when I tried a BB brush. I use a wide tooth comb to detangle. Just recently I bought a Tangle Teezer. I like how it smooths my hair but it seems to get rid of the waves (which in the summer is a good thing because there is less frizz but I don't know how I'll feel when I want to wear my hair wavy).

sakuramoon08
July 25th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I have a question, why do you brush with your hair over your head like a curtain? Isn't it bad to brush the opposite way of your hair? I kept hearing this from so many people that you shouldn't brush the opposite way that your hair goes. Can someone please elaborate on that?

Madora
July 25th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I have a question, why do you brush with your hair over your head like a curtain? Isn't it bad to brush the opposite way of your hair? I kept hearing this from so many people that you shouldn't brush the opposite way that your hair goes. Can someone please elaborate on that?

Brushing with your head down, bent at the waist, with all the hair in front of you aids in circulation of the scalp.
You are not brushing against the follices. You are brushing DOWN the strands..i.e. down the follicles.

Now if you tried to brush UP those strands (while in the bent at the waist position, then you would be brushing against the follicles, which is not a good thing!

Before you brush, the hair should be thorougly detangled first.

PS If you prefer to brush in the standing position, this is fine too..it's just that you get the benefit of better circulation of the follicles in the "head down", hair in front of you position.

Once you have finished brushing the hair in the bent at the waist position, you just part the hair from nape to forehead, so that you have one section on your right and one on your left. Grab the ends of the right hand section in your right hand, and do the same for the hair on the left.

Stand erect. Then take the hair in the right hand and place it over the right shoulder, and release. Repeat with the other section. Hair is now ready to be styled.

The more control you have over your strands, the lesser possibility for tangles after brushing (or combing, if you only use a comb).

Hope this helps!

Clytemnestra
July 25th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I tried this method of brushing over the weekend and it is so much easier and the brush just flowed down the strands, I am hooked. Thanks for the info, Madora...

gabee
July 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I have a goody (or conair?) BBB that has plastic nubbies as well, but I don't think its been doing much for my hair... I think I'm gonna have to go out and get myself a 100% BBB. I'm hoping to make my hair seem less greasy by distributing the oils down the length of my hair.

sakuramoon08
July 26th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Thank you Madora, I really appreciate it. Your like the wizardess of long hair, you seem to know everything!!!! Thanks alot!!!! :D

Signe
July 27th, 2011, 01:19 AM
I would be lost without my BBB! I use one every day. I actually have 2, so I have one to use when the other is being cleaned. Mine were really cheap and just from the local Boots. I have kept my hair really clean and soft this way...I haven't needed to wash it for 2 weeks!
I use Madora's method of brushing bent at the waist, but then I stand up and section my hair and do each section separately so that it lays down nicely. This gets through my thick hair better and it keeps me from getting triangle head.

Dina L.
July 27th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I don't brush, only comb. I have a wide tooth wooden comb that I normally use on day 3 after washing. My wurls-curls would be gone and I would look like a lion if I brushed my hair. Probably I'm lucky that my hair doesn't tangle.

Stagecoach
July 27th, 2011, 04:55 AM
I use a combination of wide toothed combs and a denamen hair brush.

swetiepeti
July 27th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Walmart carries a brand of 100% BBB in their ethnic hair section for those that like stiffer bristles. It says it's for scalp stimulation. I've had better luck with it than softer bristle brushes for brushing oils down. I have Goody and Conair brushes as well which work great for smoothing.

gypsymoth
August 4th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I have been thinking about purchasing a brush like this (http://www.thebodyshop.ca/en/hair-care-products/hair-brush/bamboo-pin-hairbrush.aspx) or this (http://www.thebodyshop.ca/en/hair-care-products/hair-brush/paddle-hairbrush.aspx), but don't they have seams? I understand the concept of seamless combs but I don't get how a brush can be seamless. Also, the "pin" brush has those round nubs on the end, would that be potentially damaging? I'm so confused. :confused:

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have been thinking about purchasing a brush like this (http://www.thebodyshop.ca/en/hair-care-products/hair-brush/bamboo-pin-hairbrush.aspx) or this (http://www.thebodyshop.ca/en/hair-care-products/hair-brush/paddle-hairbrush.aspx), but don't they have seams? I understand the concept of seamless combs but I don't get how a brush can be seamless. Also, the "pin" brush has those round nubs on the end, would that be potentially damaging? I'm so confused. :confused:

Please, gypsymoth, if you love your hair, avoid any kind of brush with "tips" or "balls" or "nubs" on the ends. These are ruinous on your hair.

A pure boar bristle brush is the gentlest brush to use on your hair. Not only does it exercise the hair follicles, but it also cleans the scalp of lint and dust, distributes the hair's natural sebum down the strands, and imparts lovely shine and softness.

Boar bristles come in different lengths and thicknesses and colors. Some bristles are very stiff, some very soft. The stiffness of the bristles will decrease with usage.

Be sure your brush lies flat on its bottom and has at least 6 rows of bristles.

Also, hold the brush to make sure it feels comfortable in your hand! Not all brushes are comfortable to use!

I've been using a pure bbb for over 40 years and have had great results.

gypsymoth
August 5th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Please, gypsymoth, if you love your hair, avoid any kind of brush with "tips" or "balls" or "nubs" on the ends. These are ruinous on your hair.

A pure boar bristle brush is the gentlest brush to use on your hair. Not only does it exercise the hair follicles, but it also cleans the scalp of lint and dust, distributes the hair's natural sebum down the strands, and imparts lovely shine and softness.

Boar bristles come in different lengths and thicknesses and colors. Some bristles are very stiff, some very soft. The stiffness of the bristles will decrease with usage.

Be sure your brush lies flat on its bottom and has at least 6 rows of bristles.

Also, hold the brush to make sure it feels comfortable in your hand! Not all brushes are comfortable to use!

I've been using a pure bbb for over 40 years and have had great results.

Thank you for replying :) I still don't completely understand why the nubs are damaging but I'm sure you know better than me! Also, do you use your bbb for styling updos and whatnot? That is mostly why I've been thinking about getting a brush of some sort because combs don't seem to cut it at the moment.

Anje
August 5th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Mandora, I'm curious -- When you say that a brush should be flat, do you mean as opposed to the convex shape of cushion BBBs that I normally see, such as what MP makes?

beccababesx
August 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I gently fingercomb the hair first, then brush carefully from bottom to top with a tangle teezer. I only brush when I'm wearing it down. I do own a BBB, however it is my personal belief that the friction, pulling, and stress on the hair from brushing it repeatedly and unnecessarily outweighs the benefits of "exercised follicles".

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Mandora, I'm curious -- When you say that a brush should be flat, do you mean as opposed to the convex shape of cushion BBBs that I normally see, such as what MP makes?

Hi, Anje,

I'm not familiar with the MP brush shape. The reason I stress that the brush be flat is that rounded brushes are holy terrors for long hair. If you tried brushing with a round brush your hair would be wound around that thing in no time!

If the MP lies reasonably flat (convex as you wrote) then hopefully it should be ok for longer hair. Obviously, your MP works well for you. Newbies have to be wary that they don't purchase a brush that will be onerous to use because of the way it is made. You want to be able to stroke down the entire length of your hair w/o the brush tangling in it!

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thank you for replying :) I still don't completely understand why the nubs are damaging but I'm sure you know better than me! Also, do you use your bbb for styling updos and whatnot? That is mostly why I've been thinking about getting a brush of some sort because combs don't seem to cut it at the moment.

Hi, gypsymoth,

Oh, no, the bbb is only used for brushing, never for styling. I use my widetooth comb for that. Much easier to hold and manipulate!

Be that as it may, if you have more success using a brush to style, great!

Also, before styling, be sure that all the hair has been thoroughly detangled first. A lot of frustration can be avoided if you start with thoroughly detangled hair!

theodora
August 5th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I wanted to talk about my final and recent success in the search for the perfect BBB!
My first BBB was a Mason Pearson (gift from an ex) with mixed bristles. I liked it but not so much the nylon bits which poke out.
I then got a pure wooden BBB from Boots but it was teeny tiny so I only kept it in the office for smoothing my hair whenever it started looking unkempt/bushy. This is now my dogs' BBB (they're spoilt creatures).
Then I bought a Kent with pure natural bristles but on a rubber pad. It had really soft bristles and it somehow really tangled my hair (which goes towards proving Madora's previous post 2 posts ago).

On the swap board, pepperminttea put up another Kent brush different from the one I owned. It was cherry wood and pure natural bristles and it has literally changed my life. The bristles are really not convex like my other Kent one, the wood feels lovely in hand and the bristles are very strong and feel amazing. I have been loving this brush and it makes my hair very shiny and soft and gently massages my scalp.

I can finally say after buying however many brushes, I have found the perfect one! (I was despairing for a while that what I wanted did not exist, at least not at a reasonable price and easy to find). I should mention I also have a Tangle Teezer but I have found I like my seamless Body Shop wooden comb better for detangling (less breakage somehow) so I now also use it on my dogs...

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I wanted to talk about my final and recent success in the search for the perfect BBB!
My first BBB was a Mason Pearson (gift from an ex) with mixed bristles. I liked it but not so much the nylon bits which poke out.
I then got a pure wooden BBB from Boots but it was teeny tiny so I only kept it in the office for smoothing my hair whenever it started looking unkempt/bushy. This is now my dogs' BBB (they're spoilt creatures).
Then I bought a Kent with pure natural bristles but on a rubber pad. It had really soft bristles and it somehow really tangled my hair (which goes towards proving Madora's previous post 2 posts ago).

On the swap board, pepperminttea put up another Kent brush different from the one I owned. It was cherry wood and pure natural bristles and it has literally changed my life. The bristles are really not convex like my other Kent one, the wood feels lovely in hand and the bristles are very strong and feel amazing. I have been loving this brush and it makes my hair very shiny and soft and gently massages my scalp.

I can finally say after buying however many brushes, I have found the perfect one! (I was despairing for a while that what I wanted did not exist, at least not at a reasonable price and easy to find). I should mention I also have a Tangle Teezer but I have found I like my seamless Body Shop wooden comb better for detangling (less breakage somehow) so I now also use it on my dogs...

Thanks for that great story, Theodora! So glad to read you've finally found your perfect brush.

I'm dying to know, though, exactly what were the major differences between your brush and Pepperminttea's brush? Does Peppermint tea's brush lay flat? Did your original brush lie flat? I'm very curious about the similarities/differences between the two products. Thanks!

theodora
August 5th, 2011, 04:44 PM
So let's see all the differences:
handle: mine was plastic, hers was wood
bristles: looked the same in picture as both had white bristles but mine were softer than hers
curvature (does that word work?): mine was convex, hers laid almost perfectly flat (maybe slightly concave?)
and also obviously mine had a rubber pad and hers did not.

My old brush is now my boyfriend's has he has short/fine/very thin hair so it works fine for him. But for me with extra fine hair but a lot of it, it was really tangling it.

I am still struggling with not tangling my hair when I go from the bended at the waist position to being upright, if anyone has a suggestion...

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM
So let's see all the differences:
handle: mine was plastic, hers was wood
bristles: looked the same in picture as both had white bristles but mine were softer than hers
curvature (does that word work?): mine was convex, hers laid almost perfectly flat (maybe slightly concave?)
and also obviously mine had a rubber pad and hers did not.

My old brush is now my boyfriend's has he has short/fine/very thin hair so it works fine for him. But for me with extra fine hair but a lot of it, it was really tangling it.

I am still struggling with not tangling my hair when I go from the bended at the waist position to being upright, if anyone has a suggestion...

Thanks for the info, Theodora.

You can avoid tangles when you go from the bent at the waist position to being upright by:

(Still bent at the waist) Part your hair from nape to forehead so that you have two sections of hair.

Grasp the right hand side section (at the ends) with your right hand.

Grasp the left hand side hair with the left hand.

Stand erect

Take the hair in the right hand and place it gently over the right shoulder and let it fall down your back

Repeat with the other side.

Do not toss, throw, fling your hair over your shoulders. That only creates more tangles!

Check once again for tangles, then style as desired.

Hope this helps, Theodora!

Anje
August 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Ah, I see what you mean. You're just trying to make sure people use what I'd call a paddle brush, rather than one of the cylindrical hair-eaters that people like to roll their hair up in and then can't get it out.

I've got a Phillips BBB right now, which has a cushion on it so the bristles have a convex curve to it, but it's flat in the sense that it doesn't have bristles on all sides. I don't use it much though, as my fine hair just doesn't like that much friction all the time, and because I can't manage to get all the cat fuzz out that's embedded way at the bottom of the bristles. Even so, a better tool does not exist for removing lint from hair when it's triggering tangles!

Yame
August 5th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I have two "regular" brushes... you know, the plastic kind with the nubs on top that LHC tells us not to use ;)

I just feel like they don't damage my hair. I have coarse and very straight hair that doesn't tangle much. If it's tangled, I start brushing from the bottom but most of the time I don't even need to do that. I brush carefully and it only takes me a few seconds to get through my whole head. I don't feel hairs being tugged. I even brush when wet using those brushes, because my hair is even easier to brush when wet, right after being conditioned. I keep a tiny brush (it has a mirror and folds into it) in my purse and a small one in my room.

I also have a bbb, which I only use in the evenings before going to sleep, after detangling my hair using a regular brush. I only use it starting at 3 or so days after wash day, once there is some sebum buildup that I can spread down to the length. I don't do it before day 3 because I think it "glues" (not literally) the hair closer to my scalp, thus making my hair look limp. I like to enjoy the few days when the hair on my scalp is more free and detached, thus giving it more volume. I wear my hair down on these days, and having such straight hair and medium thickness, I need all the volume I can get. After that, it doesn't matter because I wear my hair up for the rest of the week.

Then, I have a wide tooth comb. It's plastic, because I bought it specifically for detangling in the shower. But I never use it, because I realized I don't need to detangle at all in the shower. All I need to do is put on conditioner and run my fingers through my hair a few times, and that's really just to clean it and remove the shed hairs. My hair would detangle just fine by itself with just conditioner... I don't think I have much use for a comb, because usually when I need to brush my hair it isn't so much that I need to detangle, but more like I just need to neaten it up, which a wide tooth comb doesn't do very well for me.

Bottom line is, my hair is very very easy to take care of. It doesn't require much special or extra care. With that being said, I've been considering getting a tangle teezer to replace my evil nub brushes, since I do recognize the possibility that the brushes may be causing some damage which I just don't realize. But I don't know much about the tangle teezer and how it would work out with my hair.

swearnsue
August 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I have this cheap little black plastic thing covered with little smooth nubs about 1/4 inch long. It is sold in Walgreen's 2 for $1 on the bottom shelf under the hair accessories. I love to brush my scalp with it, stimulates the scalp great. My hair is only 2 inches long otherwise it wouldn't go through long thick hair, probably. Is it possible to over brush your hair or to verstimulate your scalp? Any guidelines you use that you would share with me? It is confusing because some posters don't brush at all! Good grief! What do you long haired beauties advise??? TIA

Madora
August 11th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I have this cheap little black plastic thing covered with little smooth nubs about 1/4 inch long. It is sold in Walgreen's 2 for $1 on the bottom shelf under the hair accessories. I love to brush my scalp with it, stimulates the scalp great. My hair is only 2 inches long otherwise it wouldn't go through long thick hair, probably. Is it possible to over brush your hair or to verstimulate your scalp? Any guidelines you use that you would share with me? It is confusing because some posters don't brush at all! Good grief! What do you long haired beauties advise??? TIA

Those nubs will ruin your hair. Use a boar bristle brush instead. Please see the 1st page of this thread, entry number 4, for info on brushing. Thank you.

swearnsue
August 11th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the info Madora. Based on one of your posts, I ordered a Goody BBB brush. It is $13 so even if I don't like it I can still use it on the cat and not have lost too much money! Those little plastic nubs sure feel good though but I have a tendency to overdo so maybe I better just cool it.

hyettf16
August 11th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I usually detangle with a BBB. Unless my hair is wet or if it has knots in it which is rare. Otherwise I use a wide plastic comb of which I have filed the seams.

Madora
August 12th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I usually detangle with a BBB. Unless my hair is wet or if it has knots in it which is rare. Otherwise I use a wide plastic comb of which I have filed the seams.

Please, please, please, hyettf16...if you love your hair and want to grow it long, use a wide tooth comb, NOT a brush to detangle.

Here is how to detangle gently:

1) Bend at the waist and bring all hair in front of you, like a curtain
2) Take a thin, SMALL section of hair (about finger width) and then take your wide tooth comb and starting at the ends, comb a few inches down the strands. Move the comb up a few more inches and comb down. Repeat up the strands until you reach the scalp. Continue to detangle this way until all hair has been detangled.

3) Now take your brush and starting at the nape, brush slowly down to the ends.
4) Follow each motion of the brush with the palm of your other hand to cut down on static
5) Number of strokes to brush: depends on your preference.
Whatever that is, do it consistently, every day.
6) When all hair has been detangled, part it from nape to forehead so that it is in 2 sections.
7) Grab the ends of the right section with your right hand and the left section with your left hand. Stand erect.
8) Take the hair in the right hand and gently place it over your right shoulder and let it fall down your back.
9) Repeat with the other hair.

Do not toss/fling/throw your hair over your shoulder! This only creates more tangles!

10) Style as desired!

The more control you have over your hair, the less the possibility for tangles.

Detangling from the ends UP gives you better opportunities for finding snarls slowly, and working them out with your fingers (not the comb!).

If you just pulled the comb down thru your hair, you'd snag up and maybe break the hair in the process. It is much kinder for your hair to start at the ends and work up to remove snarls.

I hope this helps. As Dr. Michael would say, treat your hair like fine, delicate lace. Treat it gently!