PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarianism & Hair

VintagePrincess
July 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
I have a new hairdresser who asked me if I had lost a lot of hair as I had a lot of baby short ones coming through.

I told her I was a vegetarian and had a lot of stress at the start of the year, but hadnt noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Fast forward a few months and a routine blood test by my doctor had her upset at my vitamin levels and told me I need to start eating meat for my healths sake.

Has anyone else noticed better hair growth after returning to eating meat?

DuckyDot
July 23rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Are you sure you have to eat meat again? There are alot of supplements and careful management of diet can get you with perfect vitamin levels. (I'm a veggie of about 5 years.)

Joliebaby
July 23rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Well you can be vegetarian and have healthy hair but you have to take care that you

eat enough protein
get enough iron
take a B12 supplement, as it's impossible to get from veg diet
take Vitamin D supplement

A good multi, possibly a prenatal multi that has iron and folic acid added, would be good for you if your levels are low. Vit D is super important for pretty much everybody as it's very hard to get enough from food, even if you eat fish, unless you spend time outside in the sun WITHOUT SUNSCREEN, AT MID-DAY everyday.

Theobroma
July 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
I was vegetarian (eating eggs and dairy, but no meat/fish/poultry) for 25 years and never had any ill-effects, on my hair or otherwise. I never took vitamin supplements of any kind and my blood checked out just fine. It's perfectly possible to get all the nutrients you need, and in sufficient quantities, from a vegetarian regimen as long as you make sure you're eating a balanced diet.

DuckyDot
July 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
To be honest your doctor seems to have made a very rash decision about your diet and has not consulted with you properly. Maybe a second opinion is needed.

heidi w.
July 23rd, 2011, 12:40 PM
I was a vegetarian for 4 years. This was during the peak of my hair growth. I actually gained a lot of weight being vegetarian.

While there are many, many people who do just fine being a vegetarian, there are some who do not respond well to it. I am one such person. I do not eat very much red meat at all, focusing on fish, and chicken and pork mostly.

I am here just to share that maybe taking a look at your nutrition, and ensuring you're taking in enough protein via, most easily, the soybean (a complete protein) which is as a bean, or as tempeh or tofu....(tempeh is really good, and I still eat it, and I still get soybeans in the pod from the frozen food section and snack on it like others snack on popcorn)....is one way to solve this.

And if that doesn't work, then maybe looking into eating some meat or some fish might be a solution.

I just learned that I needed a little bit of meat, it seems, the way I'm wired. I still have about 2 vegetarian meals per week, for the sake of variety and to give my digestive tract a break.

I know this is very unpopular input, but I think it's pertinent to be aware that for some people, certain lifestyles just don't work.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 23rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
To be honest your doctor seems to have made a very rash decision about your diet and has not consulted with you properly. Maybe a second opinion is needed.

I would agree with this suggestion. Look at working with a nutritionist that is well-versed in vegetarian, and the pitfalls that can occur with this type of diet. I would also recommend that you read books on the subject, particularly cookbooks of which there are many great choices (Diet for a Small Planet is an early classic). A good portion of the world is eating rice and beans because together, this is all 8 amino acids tha we need to get from our food, for and which constitutes a "complete protein". The remaining set of 15 or so amino acids are created internally in our bodies. Lentils can be thrown into just about everything, from potatoes to chili, to a soup, and beyond. You can lightly soak them in oil over heat til they're soft yet still have a tad of crunch.

heidi w.

maborosi
July 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Well you can be vegetarian and have healthy hair but you have to take care that you

eat enough protein
get enough iron
take a B12 supplement, as it's impossible to get from veg diet
take Vitamin D supplement

A good multi, possibly a prenatal multi that has iron and folic acid added, would be good for you if your levels are low. Vit D is super important for pretty much everybody as it's very hard to get enough from food, even if you eat fish, unless you spend time outside in the sun WITHOUT SUNSCREEN, AT MID-DAY everyday.

Just a note, you can get B12 on an ovo-lacto vegetarian diet. You can't really get it easily on a vegan diet, though. I don't have to take B12, and my levels are fine. I rarely drink milk, though.

~maborosi~

EdG
July 23rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
There are quite a number of long-haired vegetarians on this board. I have been both for over two decades. :)

I think the best advice is to eat a variety of vegetarian foods.
Ed

gogirlanime
July 23rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
My hair is healthier now that I am a vegetarian. I make sure to take a flaxseed, iron, b complex, and mineral complex everyday to get all of my nutrients. Just make sure you are eating plenty of protein!

gossamer
July 23rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
I haven't eaten meat since I was 6. I spent a long part of the time since then being terrible at eating enough protein, but still had classic length hair. It sort of stalled there until I got a lot better about eating a balanced diet, but there's honestly no medical reason you HAVE to eat meat. I think your doctor might not understand how vegetarians can be healthy eaters too. I'm actually rather appalled that instead of finding a solution that works for your dietary wishes, she just told you to abandon them.

RitaCeleste
July 23rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
I eat meat, not in huge amounts but I eat and like it. I still think the doctor should have given you more options than just say eat meat. My aunt has been on vegetarian diets, healthy ones and been fine with healthy long hair and and all. I do think some vegetarians don't eat as healthy as others but that can be said of the meat eaters too (Me included)! If you want to eat vegetarian just study up on how to get what you need into your diet. I'd probably shoot a doc that told me I had go Vegan. I be running for a second opinion and so should you!

newbeginning
July 23rd, 2011, 03:44 PM
I agree that your doctor is making a rash decision. See a dietician. It's perfectly possible to be healthy and vegetarian.

Sama
July 23rd, 2011, 03:58 PM
I have been a vegetarian for half my life now, and it has never had any ill effects on my hair. But, nutrition does have a massive impact on the condition of your hair [not to mention the rest of your body, including very important functions]. It is important that you eat a balanced diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals. A well-rounded daily multi-vitamin or prenatal vitamin should do the trick if you need a little help picking up the slack. I'm surprised your doctor suggested returning to a non-vegetarian diet rather than encouraging a vitamin! Even most meat-eaters would benefit from a daily multi-vitamin to pick up the slack when they don't eat a well-enough balanced diet. I wouldn't blame it entirely on a "vegetarian diet" so much as what's in your vegetarian diet. I like the idea a few others have suggested - it appears you're having a little difficulty finding the right balance of foods in your diet, so seeing a dietitian or nutritionist is probably in your best interest.

Best of luck to you in achieving a healthier you!! Your healthier hair will be a much-appreciated "side-effect." :yumm:

whitestiletto
July 23rd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Unfortunately in the US medical doctors are not required to take a lot of nutrition courses.

You can get all the nutrients you need from a vegetarian or even vegan diet, as long as you take a multivitamin. (It bugs me when people say it's not natural to be vegan because you have to take a vitamin -- most vitamins are taken by meat eaters and children!!??) I have been vegan 4+ years and my scalp/hair is very strong and healthy, especially now that I CO and put vinegar in it. I do take a vegan multivitamin (Deva brand), and a vegan DHA supplement (Spectrum brand).

You can get all the protein you need from whole grains, vegetables, legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas), and nuts (peanut butter, sunflower butter, regular ole nuts, etc).

Haters gonna hate! Don't listen to em.

Vegan hair loss and nutrients article (http://www.livestrong.com/article/175071-vegan-hair-loss/)
Robert Cheeke, vegan competitive body builder (http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/)

HairStickler
July 24th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Fast forward a few months and a routine blood test by my doctor had her upset at my vitamin levels and told me I need to start eating meat for my healths sake.

Forgive my nosiness, but what did the blood test show and which vitamins did she think you were lacking? Hopefully it is something that is easily fixed by taking supplements or by tweaking your vegetarian diet.

I have been vegetarian and/or vegan for many years and my hair just keeps growing. I make an effort to eat a well-balanced diet of whole foods (grains, legumes, nuts, vegetables, fruits) and I take vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids, too.

Mesmerise
July 24th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I find it annoying that the doctor's immediate progonsis is "you need to start eating meat" :rolleyes:. I mean a little respect for people's lifestyle choices would be nice!

My advice would be to find a doctor who is either vegetarian or is sympathetic towards vegetarians and is willing and able to help them find the right way to eat, rather than immediately telling them they need to eat meat.

If you're low in B12, or iron or something else, then there are solutions that don't require the consumption of meat.

Honestly, though, if you're not vegetarian for ethical reasons, then there's really no reason for you not to eat meat! I am well aware that if I were to have a couple of meat meals a week I wouldn't have to worry so much about taking supplements, or worrying about the amount of protein I consume etc. If I was vegetarian "just for the he** of it" I would eat meat to avoid potential problems. But I'm vegetarian because I don't believe I need to eat animals to survive, and I'd rather live without eating them!!

Still, I've talked to people who want to go vegetarian "for their health" and I always tell them that if that's the only reason, then don't do it as you can always be healthy on a diet that includes meat!

Xi
July 24th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I became vegetarian about 6 years ago. No change in my hair whatsoever.:shrug: Possible to be well-nourished on a veg diet. I agree about consulting a dietitian if you're reluctant to eat meat. Also agree that different people may require different diets.:meditate:

jeanniet
July 24th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I've been vegetarian, briefly vegan, a meat eater, and currently am a wishy-washy vegetarian (I don't really eat meat because for the most part I don't like it, but I eat a good steak now and then). The only thing that's ever made a different with my health was the quality of food overall. If you're not getting the balance you need, it's because you're not eating well in general, not because you're vegetarian. It's entirely possible to get everything you need from diet alone, but you have to pay attention to what you eat. You might want to consider tracking your diet for a while using a software program such as Fitday (you can use this online for free). It'll tell you everything in your diet, and after a while it's pretty easy to know what you need to eat to cover everything. Focus on fresh foods, lots of vegetables and fruit, beans, some grains, nuts, oils, etc. You don't need a lot of daily protein, and it's pretty easy to get enough, so don't let the doctor tell you a vegetarian diet doesn't have enough. When I tracked my diet (for over a year), in general I got more than enough protein without even thinking about it, and that was with eating almost no meat--and I'm not a big protein eater, either. You can eat meat and still have a poor diet, so if you don't want to give up being a vegetarian, just learn about good nutrition and you'll be fine.

BTW, the notion of combining proteins has been refuted, but for whatever reason it's a myth that seems to hang on. The wikipedia article on it gives a good overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_combining. What's most important to a healthy vegetarian (or vegan) diet is eating a quality, varied diet.

whitestiletto
July 24th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Still, I've talked to people who want to go vegetarian "for their health" and I always tell them that if that's the only reason, then don't do it as you can always be healthy on a diet that includes meat!

Cholesterol and red meat are major contributing factors to the two highest causes of death in the developed world, heart disease and cancer. Not saying there aren't other causes of those things, but vegans have statistically significant lower incidence of heart disease and bowel cancers.

Here's an article (http://www.aicr.org/site/News2?abbr=pr_&page=NewsArticle&id=20089&news_iv_ctrl=1102) from the American Institute for Cancer Research. They do say you can eat less meat and get the same health benefits as being vegan, but the point is, eating a lot of animal products is definitely bad for you. Why not eat a healthier diet AND wash your hands of this (http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/campaigns/factory_farming/)? Inappropriate metaphor, kill two birds with one stone. Aside from health and animal welfare, animal agriculture is pretty bad for the environment because it involves eating a step up on the food chain, that is, using approx 10x more land, water, pesticides, fertilizers, and plant matter per calorie ingested.

Of course I'm an ethical vegan so I can't resist being the devil's advocate here. But the truth is 1/3 of Americans die of heart disease (http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/publications/AAG/dhdsp.htm) and almost none of them are veg except for those with congenital heart abnormalities...

*runs away before everyone starts arguing*

---

Also... I just realized -- if your hairdresser say she noticed baby hairs growing back in, then obviously your scalp is capable of growing hair just fine. Stress sheds are normal. Unfortunate, but normal. If you shed and then never grew it back, that would indicate a problem, IMO.

princessp
July 24th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years and my hair is both thick:
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/princesspandora1/7-22-11side.jpg

And healthy:
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/princesspandora1/catniphair.jpg

Be conscious of the Bs, but aside from that I think one has to simply find what veggie foods work well for them. If your diet is good, stress might be a bigger factor for you.

There are many of us here who know there is definitely such a thing as long healthy hair sans meat. :)

ETA: Sorry if it seems bold of me for inserting my own pictures, but this subject comes up a lot here! I don't want noobs to be scared that they need to choose either healthy long hair or vegetarianism. Lots of us here have both.

RitaPG
July 24th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I had a bad experience with a vegetarian diet. I had a virus thing when I was a kid and for the best part of two years was on a strict vegetarian diet. It was yummy, for sure, but I was always tired and my hair and nails were very weak. I am intolerant to milk and also have anemia, so it's kinda hard for me to keep a balanced vegetarian diet without spending loads of money on lactose free protein shakes, B12, iron and all the rest. I rather eat a steak.

That doesn't mean it's impossible. You can have a vegetarian lifestyle AND healthy, long hair. Just make sure that your body responds well to it and that you find all the necessary protein and nutrients in other foods since you will no longer get them from eating meat.
Also, if you're turning vegetarian for good, regular blood tests during the first years are a good idea, just to make sure you're not missing on something.

squiggyflop
July 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM
well, its sad your doc didnt wanna take your wishes into consideration before saying something that could be felt as hurtful..

i did try to be a vegetarian a while back.. i became violently ill myself.. the doctor ran about a million tests and it turns out not everyone can go without eating meat and still be healthy.. most people can be fine just so long as they take supplements and eat lots of tasty protein (am i the only one craving cashews right now?).. oh um the reason i couldnt be healthy is because i cant digest most plant food unless its been heavily processed (like flour), so the more vegetables i ate and the more fruit i ate the sicker and sicker i got until i kept fainting and you know, tmi vomiting while being in severe pain.. its annoying because i like a lot of fruit but i cant have much without being sick.. so um, my point is, that unless you are violently ill like i was, then you dont need to start eating meat, you just have to be more careful about what you eat and make sure to take your supplements..

as for my diet now, i only eat animals i would be willing to kill myself.. which means no cute animals,, just chickens, ADULT cows, and very rarely i will have bacon.. i coud never eat lamb or sheep or goat or veal or rabbit or anything else that is too cute to kill.. if i like to pet it i wont eat it..

so yeah, unless you are very very ill and in pain and puking every time you eat then i think the problem could be cured easily by eating healthier..

um you say you are vegetarian not vegan, so um, eggs are really full of vitamins, and so is milk..

Tea Lady
July 24th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years and my hair is healthy. I'm at hip length now, but have also been as long as classic, all while eating no meat.

Tea Lady

Quezie
July 24th, 2011, 11:57 PM
That was pretty rude of your doctor. They should have helped work with this personal choice of yours, and maybe recommended changes in your diet that doesn't include eating meat.

I haven't noticed a difference in my hair since becoming a vegetarian, but it is something I worry about. I think I'm going to come up with a list of foods that cover all the vitamins I'm missing and make a big effort to eat it all.

Mesmerise
July 25th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Cholesterol and red meat are major contributing factors to the two highest causes of death in the developed world, heart disease and cancer. Not saying there aren't other causes of those things, but vegans have statistically significant lower incidence of heart disease and bowel cancers.

Here's an article (http://www.aicr.org/site/News2?abbr=pr_&page=NewsArticle&id=20089&news_iv_ctrl=1102) from the American Institute for Cancer Research. They do say you can eat less meat and get the same health benefits as being vegan, but the point is, eating a lot of animal products is definitely bad for you. Why not eat a healthier diet AND wash your hands of this (http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/campaigns/factory_farming/)? Inappropriate metaphor, kill two birds with one stone. Aside from health and animal welfare, animal agriculture is pretty bad for the environment because it involves eating a step up on the food chain, that is, using approx 10x more land, water, pesticides, fertilizers, and plant matter per calorie ingested.

Of course I'm an ethical vegan so I can't resist being the devil's advocate here. But the truth is 1/3 of Americans die of heart disease (http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/publications/AAG/dhdsp.htm) and almost none of them are veg except for those with congenital heart abnormalities...

*runs away before everyone starts arguing*

---

Also... I just realized -- if your hairdresser say she noticed baby hairs growing back in, then obviously your scalp is capable of growing hair just fine. Stress sheds are normal. Unfortunate, but normal. If you shed and then never grew it back, that would indicate a problem, IMO.

Well I get what you're saying, and this is certainly something I used to believe. But I have done research on both sides of the equation and have come to the belief/conclusion that people who eat a healthy diet that contains grass fed meat (with no hormones added etc) in moderate proportions tend to be just as healthy, if not healthier, than vegetarians.

I've also seen interesting studies that seem to indicate that in some areas that are quite barren, when animals are raised there, more vegetation starts to grow, and thus raising animals in some areas is actually good for the environment!

This doesn't mean I'm gonna start eating meat again though :pHowever my views are now fairly moderate.

Hehe I'm also a fan of playing Devil's Advocate ;) So yeah, as a vegetarian sometimes I find myself arguing on the side of meat eaters (go figure).

Sunny_side_up
July 25th, 2011, 07:16 AM
If you can, eat nuts, i find they work wonders on my hair, get fabulous shine and strength. Quality well reared meat is what to look for.
I have never been vegetarian, but since introducing more greenery in my eating habits my hair has much improved. Also regularly eat eggs now.
Oh and i have been eating quite a bit more fish, my hair looks so much better than it did a year or two ago when my eating habits were careless and not very good at all (junk, takeaways) and have cut down on sugar alot, my hair and body is thankful for that!
:cheese:

spidermom
July 25th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Hmmmmm, interesting. I was a vegetarian in my 20s, and my naturopath didn't like my blood work at all. He told me that I would probably do better to add some meat back into my diet, which I did, and he was right.

I can't remember the specifics, though, other than that my folate or folic acid was too low.

Krentje
July 25th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I think it's pertinent to be aware that for some people, certain lifestyles just don't work.

heidi w.

I agree! I am what they call a flexitarian, though minimalistic on the meat part. I do eat meat once a week or once per two weeks and sometimes fish. It is true that a vegetarian diet can be completely balanced and yes, it is sufficient for most people.

But i also experienced that my body has to put more effort in getting all nutritions out of a vegetarian diet than a 'flexitarian diet'. Your body might experience the same?
(sorry, no science behind this, just my logic!)

I grew up malnourished with fast food and since i am 17 vegetarian (+ eatins so much more veggies and fresh products), but my body isn't (yet) 100% vegetarian, it seems :D.

My speculating 2 cents, just listen to your body!

Lilli
July 25th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Being vegetarian made me super-sick. It got to the point where I was always tired, always bitchy, always sick, always diarrhea/nausea, and started to have constant canker sores that made it impossible to swallow. Oh, and no sex drive. Really awful. I didn't notice or care about my hair, though, b/c I was so sick. I switched to the complete opposite (paleo diet - protein, veggies, fruit, no grains, legumes or dairy) and feel awesome - constant bouncy energy, tons of sex drive, etc., and only eat ethical meats. Again, don't notice a difference on my hair - sorry!

alyanna
July 25th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Actually, the second major shed of my life, when I really started realizing my hair was thin and I could see my scalp even with dry pouffy hair, was after a year of being vegetarian. Although, I was definitely not a good vegetarian. I had quite a poor diet I think.

Nowadays, one of the aspects of my diet that I'm being really diligent about is making sure I get enough animal protein. I tend to undereat though so I have to watch things like that. I also tend to get anemic and fatigued when I don't eat meat. I am generally healthier (and so is my hair) now.

shawty
July 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM
LOL I've been vegan for 6 years with no change in hair growth/loss/health!

PinkyCat
July 25th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I've been following a vegetarian diet for the last couple months, but I really don't consider myself a "Vegetarian" because I'm only doing it for health - not for PETA. I'll eat meat if I really want it.

But I feel great! I have more energy, getting out of bed is not like climbing out of wet cement anymore. I haven't noticed any more shedding than normal, but I've been drinking a lot of soy protein shakes. I'm also much much more regular.

I guess my body chemistry has a more difficult time breaking down the animal protein than the veggie protein.

ilovelonghair
July 25th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I have been vegetarian for 14 years of which 5 years vegan, I had the worst hair when I wasn't vegetarian, always shedding. WhenIi ate meat I was aneamic and B12 deficient, after quitting that went away, so healthy iron and B12 levels don't necesarily have to do with eating meat, but you need to take extra B12 of course. It's all about a healthy diet and make sure you take B12. My boyfriend is a vegan already for 21 years and has the thickest hair *swoon and jealousy at the same time*

RedheadMistress
July 25th, 2011, 12:35 PM
- I noticed my hair felt and looks a lot better when I turned Vegan.

You do not need to eat meat, I wouldn't listen to the doctor. What he should be telling you if what you have less of in your body, after testing the blood, then you either buying books on vegetarian or vegan diets or googling it online and try and have an all-round healthy diet instead of going back to meat.

We do not need to support meat industries to be healthy.
It's much healthier not to eat meat.

ilovelonghair
July 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM
We do not need to support meat industries to be healthy.
It's much healthier not to eat meat.

So true, I find it disturbing how ads on tv misinform people just to promote the meat and dairy industy. Plus that doctors are still so tied into it as well, but lucky not all :)

RitaPG
July 25th, 2011, 12:55 PM
So true, I find it disturbing how ads on tv misinform people just to promote the meat and dairy industy. Plus that doctors are still so tied into it as well, but lucky not all :)
Tell that to my dad! I swear I'm intolerant to milk and he still bugs me because I never drink it! :rolleyes:

Belisarius
July 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Tell that to my dad! I swear I'm intolerant to milk and he still bugs me because I never drink it! :rolleyes:
You live in southern europe right? There are quite a lot of people there who are lactose intolerant, so it could very well be.

Misti
July 25th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Has anyone else noticed better hair growth after returning to eating meat?

I did. I was a very conscientious and nutrition-focussed vegetarian for about 9 years, and had gradually lost hair over the years. I did notice that it was getttng a bit thinner, but it was never alarming and I didn't associate it with my diet.

However when I went back to eating meat, it did thicken up again.

I think some people's bodies cope very well with being vegetarian and other people's bodies simply don't. Mine doesn't.

If you want to be vegetarian and the only health impact is that your hair is shedding and you're lacking in a few nutrients, I certainly agree that you would be best off seeing a vegetarian friendly nutritionist and seeking out a new doctor.

If you do return to eating meat, be sure not to eat sick meat -- get meat from pastured, healthily raised animals. It's healthier and far more nutrious for you and kinder to your prey. Either way, don't forget your vegetables. LOTS of vegetables. Those are critical to optimal health, in my opinion.

aenigmatica8
July 25th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I see absolutely NO reason why meat is necessary for health (or nice hair specifically)! I have been a vegetarian for almost five years and my hair and nails did not change a bit since I stopped eating meat! More and more studies are showing that excessive meat-eating is detrimental to your overall health, too. However, it's a whole different story if you are vitamin deficient. Instead of diagnosing some general "need to eat meat," your doctor should've given you specifics: I.E.: You are iron deficient. Otherwise I'd be skeptical! Anyway good luck and high five for trying vegetarianism at all! :)

whitestiletto
July 25th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm vegan, but I do think there's truth that some people don't do so well on the vegan diet. I happen to do well on it, but not everyone does.

ilovelonghair
July 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I see absolutely NO reason why meat is necessary for health (or nice hair specifically)! I have been a vegetarian for almost five years and my hair and nails did not change a bit since I stopped eating meat! More and more studies are showing that excessive meat-eating is detrimental to your overall health, too.

Most people in India are vegetarian (some vegan as well) and look at their hair! Such beautiful thick hair they have :)

Avital88
July 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM
im a veggie for 10 years and me and my hair are perfectly fine, what vitamins are you missing? try multivitamins and eat more nuts!

Cainwen
July 27th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I'll just jump in and second what some people are saying. Not everyone can live well on a vegetarian/vegan diet. I tried it for a while in college, read books, carefully supplemented what I couldn't get in food. I ended up sick all the time, anemic (despite supplementation), absolutely falling apart. As soon as I got back on a omnivore diet, stopped being sick. I eat very small amounts of meat, red meat once a week, and the only time I'm reaching for tissues is during allergy season.

That being said, if you are committed (for whatever reason) to being vegetarian, look into your options. Ask to see the *actual* blood work report and demand an explanation of *exactly* what you are missing and how badly you are missing it. If your doctor wont do this with you, go find a new doctor.

Rosake
July 27th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Is it vitamin B12 that you're missing? How long are have you been vegetarian for? B12 is a little tricky, maybe your body doesn't absorb B12 as easily and therefore you need more. I don't know what the exact problem is according to your doctor.

Like some people already have said, I know A LOT of vegetarian women with beautiful thick and long hair. I've been a vegetarian my entire life. I've had my iron and B12 level checked and I'm super healthy.

I also want to say to people: really, you don't need as much protein as we all might think. Especially in the west, we eat diets that a too rich of protein. Yes it's something you need but don't think you need to eat EXTRA AND A WHOLE BUNCH of protein when you're vegetarian. Figure out things to eat like dark green leafy vegetables, beans, quinoa, legumes, rice in combination with dahl, they all are a good source of protein.
Good tip is to look at Indian food, they often have well balanced and complete vegetarian meals that are suuuuper yummy!

danacc
July 27th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Chiming in with another recommendation to see a dietician or nutritionist. Nutrition is not a medical doctor's specialty in the US (nor should we expect it to be).

It is unfortunate that adding meat to your diet is the answer that you got from this doctor. There are folks who do not do well on a vegetarian diet--and if your doctor is seeing more than just low vitamin levels, maybe this is why you got the recommendation that you did--but for most people a vegetarian diet is sufficient. Vegans need to supplement with B12, but other vegetarian diets can be maintained without supplementation as long as you are eating a variety of foods. Of course, adding a vitamin supplement is unlikely to hurt.

Getting enough protein is easy. Getting enough iron requires more of a focus. You have the advantage of knowing which vitamins you're not getting enough of. (I assume the doctor was more specific or that you have the blood report.) Take it to a nutritionist. The ones in my area were very, very good at taking my personal tastes and diet choices into account in coming up with good meal choices for me. They had lots of constraints (diabetes, vegetarian, pregnant) and did a wonderful job.

Oh, and I'm a wishy-washy vegetarian now, eating fish on occasion, and have classic length hair. I have not noticed any change in my hair growth while going from eating meat to vegetarian to wishy-washy vegetarian.