PDA

View Full Version : Stylist made a remark about my hair

buttercupmcgee
July 23rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
She said that the second half has no "glide"--the part from my ears down. She would pull the comb through my hair and at it would be just fine, then at the ears it would "catch" and require de-tangling, even if we'd JUST combed that area.

I had never thought my hair was particularly tangly before, but Im wondering if anyone else has hair like this, or what it can be attributed to?

I have wavy (ish) hair, some of the strands are straight and some are wavy, is that it?

The top half of my hair combs through just fine, though.

The only thing I can think is that I'm growing out old dye, and the dyed bits start at about ear level at this point.

Thoughts?

lapushka
July 23rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Could be the dye (harsh dyes used to make my hair dryer, a bit harder to comb) and/or could be the way she combed your hair. Normally you start at the bottom, but every hairstylist I've seen just ripped through from the top.

aliceinmadness
July 23rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
the dye is probably making your cuticle less flat so that your strands stick together easily and become tangled.

PraiseCheeses
July 23rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Have you clarified lately?

I had this problem too, a couple weeks ago. All virgin hair, so dye was not the issue. I clarified from roots to ends, followed it with an SMT, and did my usual coconut oiling - the tangling and dryness was GONE, my ends were soft and supple again, and the "glide" was back in my hair. I am blessed with super soft water and I'm cone-free, but evidently there are still coating ingredients in the conditioners I was using.

In your case, the dye could be compounding the issue. On the plus side, it should be porous and nice and receptive to clarifying and moisture. :)

oktobergoud
July 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
I have exactly this and it's because the ends have been bleached platinum and is just.. well.. velcro :P

mtstorm
July 23rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
I have long waves in my hair. The waves start around the bottom of my ear/middle of my neck area. Whenever I comb my hair, whether I start from the bottom or the top, I always get a tangle right there. My hair is not damaged or dyed, it is simply the wave bunching up when I comb.

MsBubbles
July 23rd, 2011, 12:09 PM
I think it's simply your colored parts that are behaving differently. I can feel a huge difference in my hair strands between virgin (roots) and bleached (ends). Color-depositing dyes also dry those ends out even more too.

Doesn't mean you need to chop those drier, stickier bits off though!!

racrane
July 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
I have this issue myself and it's simply because the last half of my hair was highlighted and thus very dry and prone to tangles. I use lots of oils and conditioners and it helps the issue. I can't wait until it's all trimmed off for good.

Joliebaby
July 23rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
I think it's the dye as well.

RitaCeleste
July 23rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
I also tangle. I have color on it now but I had it even when I didn't color. Oiling and and deep conditioning make HUGE difference for me and my daughter. I added some co washing too, but when I do use shampoo its no disaster or anything. My daughter tangles and has no glide, her hair is fine and thin and has a little wave. She hasn't been colored. For her we do protein treatments and deep condition once a week. It has helped her tangles so very much. Sometimes we add a little light oil too.

Mingle
July 23rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Definitely the dye. When I dyed my hair a while back, it had the texture of a wire dish sponge and tangled more easily.

kwaniesiam
July 23rd, 2011, 01:42 PM
Could be the dye (harsh dyes used to make my hair dryer, a bit harder to comb) and/or could be the way she combed your hair. Normally you start at the bottom, but every hairstylist I've seen just ripped through from the top.

When doing a hair cut you need to glide the comb from the top down after it has been detangled to get the hair strands even together before making the snip.

Any form of damaged cuticle will have a bit of drag, be it from dye, heat, or mechanical treatment. The amount varies based on texture as well. Curly hair has more drag because the shape of the strands is flat rather than round, wavy hair has an oval shaped strand.

GoatLady
July 23rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
My ends (the last 3-4 inches) are fried from dyes and will also tangle and catch unless I keep them well conditioned with either oil or a leave in. Have you tried that on yours? I find it makes a huge difference.

pittsburgpam
July 23rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
A couple of weeks ago I noticed this on the last 4 inches or so of my hair, that they were grabby. I did a long S&D session and cut off every split end I could find (took hours in front of the TV). It is so much better now.

It's probably the dye and rough cuticle that is catching.

buttercupmcgee
July 23rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Have you clarified lately?

I had this problem too, a couple weeks ago. All virgin hair, so dye was not the issue. I clarified from roots to ends, followed it with an SMT, and did my usual coconut oiling - the tangling and dryness was GONE, my ends were soft and supple again, and the "glide" was back in my hair. I am blessed with super soft water and I'm cone-free, but evidently there are still coating ingredients in the conditioners I was using.

In your case, the dye could be compounding the issue. On the plus side, it should be porous and nice and receptive to clarifying and moisture. :)

What did you use to clarify?