PDA

View Full Version : Is it really "just" hair?

Lishamatish
July 23rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
I must have been obsessing over my hair for my entire life. That's not to say that I have always been treating it well, that is a relatively new obsession, but I have always found my hair to be incredibly important to me.

My mum is considering growing out what any Americans I think call a buzz cut... Or a crew cut.
So I told her that if she wanted to grow long hair that I could help her with tips on taking care of it. I explained my routines to her and after much mockery ( in a kind way, she just thinks I'm a bit mad, hehe ) she decided that this was too much effort and that it was "just hair" :agape:

It's not "just hair", is it? To me it has always been in the front of my thoughts... Maybe that is a bit mad though...

Could it ever be "just hair" to you?

October
July 23rd, 2011, 08:52 AM
I don't think it's "just hair"... I mean, in the end it is. It's not something I will really look back on my life and think it was the most important thing or bring the fondest memories... but, it is a large part of an expression of who I am, like clothing style. When my hair looks bad, I feel bad and it ruins my day (same as when I realize I have no good clean clothing and have to wear something hidious).

For me, it's not the be all end all, but it is a big part of my self-confidence and style.

Madora
July 23rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
In a way, she's right. Yet again, to many, it is more than "just hair".

It all depends on your outlook, I guess!

Naava
July 23rd, 2011, 09:03 AM
It depends on the context... I would say Maslow's hierarchy of needs explains my thoughts pretty good :) There are definitely more important things than hair, but if everything else is in order, hair can be really important to me. As it is, hair is not "just hair" to me, but in other kind of a situation it might be.

I hope I made some sense :P

christine1989
July 23rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
As someone who has hated their hair for the majority of their life, hair IS really important (once you start to like it). Now that I actually like my hair and it is healthier than it has ever been before, it is very important to me.

whitestiletto
July 23rd, 2011, 09:21 AM
My hair has a huge influence over my self-esteem, and if you think about it, the way people view me whether I'm feminine, healthy, etc. It's just as important as your clothing and your face because everyone sees it every day. I take good care of my hair, but I wash my face every day so I don't break out, and I wear clothes of nice quality as well!

Lishamatish
July 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I suppose everybody has things that are super important to them like clothes, nails, shoes etc.

I just never really considered that somebody would just really not care about hair!

I like my healthy obsession though, hehe, even if my mum and DH can often give me some strange looks when I'm trimming individual splits and bathing in tea :p

QueenJoey
July 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
My mom also says it's "just hair". I used to kinda agree with her. I mean, it grows back, and it shouldn't make or break who you are.

But now I think it's more than just hair; it's almost become a part of who I am, and I'd be very sad to see something happen to it.

RitaPG
July 23rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Is it just hair?
Yes and no. Before LHC, I was obsessed about hair, it was always short when I was a kid, and I had no idea how to cake good care of it. In a way, I am grateful that my mom kept it short for me, it did look healthy short and saved me a lot of pain. But I was still obsessed by it back then.
After LHC, I found how to take good care of it, and my hair is now longer than it's ever been. The thing with hair is that it grows slow, and one thing I learned here was the "benign neglect", or "put it up and ignore it". In a way, I found that the less I obsess about it, the less it matters. A couple years ago the idea of cutting bangs or layers scared me, and now I have bangs. I loved them for two weeks and now they annoy the crap out of me (itches in the forehead). And you know what? I'm not even mad about it! It will take forever to grow out but I'm not the least upset by it.
Hair is not like a limb, it doesn't hurt when it gets cut off, and the best part is, it grows every day until the rest of our lives :)
One thing about non-LHC people; they are used to commercial shampoo-conditioner (and a hairmask IF they even know what that is). Natural or alternative haircare is always a touchy subject, many people aren't familiar with those. I kinda understand your mom's point of view, and sometimes, I wish I was still a shampoo-condition-rub a towel on it ang go person.. Not that my routine has changed a lot, apart from using oils and reading the labels on my products, but I get lazy sometimes. :p
One thing that didn't change, was the fact that I like to look pretty, and long hair is a part of it, not just my body, but my appearance. So yea, it's not just hair afterall.

Anje
July 23rd, 2011, 11:01 AM
I guess it depends on whether your hair is part of your self-image or not.

rusika1
July 23rd, 2011, 11:14 AM
Yes? Actually HAVING hair is important to most (but not all!) people; but these days it's easier than ever* for people to decide how much maintenance they are willing to do. Your mum is used to wash and wear hair, so any other level of hair care is going to seem like more work. Think about it, even a shaved head needs more upkeep than a crew cut.

Don't throw the whole LHC haircare regimen at her all at once. Buy her a bottle of your favorite sulfate-free shampoo, then maybe get her a tangle teezer. Introduce new ideas to her really gradually, and be ready for her to totally ignore all your suggestions!

*ETA: Other people may not like your rainbow spiked mohawk or knee length dreads, but it's much less likely that you'll be run out of town on a rail than in days of old, like the 1960's.:D

Jeni
July 23rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Eh, I guess to me it is "just hair"...Don't get me wrong I like my hair and I treat it relatively well but I'm not going to bend over backwards for it. If something should happen to it and I had to cut it to shoulder length (for example) Id be bummed but Id survive. It is certainly not the most important think in my life, not even in the top 10 Id say.

jojo
July 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
In a practical sense yes hair is just hair, it does't really take much effort, but on a personal sense its what makes me , me!

oktobergoud
July 23rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
I remember going to the hairstylist, wanting a bright red colour. I had been there before and loved the colour they gave me before! This time I had a totally different colour and burst into tears.. the hairstylist just simply said 'oh dear, it's just hair!'.

I mean, for your mom to say that? I think that's okay, perfectly fine with me.. BUT A HAIRSTYLIST? Isn't your whole job (and thus a big part of your life :P) about hair anyway? :P

Reminds me of that cheesy oneliner the host from Shear Genius always says at the end of the show 'Remember, hair is important' :P

I think it is to us. And it definitely is important to me. But in the past I'd just go to the hairdresser and get something drastic, no matter how much got cut off. I was just like 'ah it's just hair, it will grow back!'. In the end it IS 'just hair', and it could get a bit unhealthy if your hair is THE WORLD to you, you know?

Bene
July 23rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Depends on the context. If a monster had you by the hair and was chewing it up and the only way you could escape was to chop it off, then yes, it's just hair.

When other people try to make you do something to it that you don't want to do, like cut or bleach or whatever, then it's not just hair.

Carolyn
July 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
I agree with that Bene said. If it's your hair or your life, then yeah it is "just hair". That doesn't mean you wouldn't mourn the loss of your hair in that case.

My hair IS part of who I am. I feel like I wouldn't be "me" without it. Some of you will get that and some of you won't. I feel I was born to be a long haired person. It's a passion and yes I'd have to say an obsession. And yes it is way up high on the list of things that are important to me. I've said many times before my hair is like a hobby. I work on it, love it, care for it, nurture it. I enjoy all the care I put in to it.

For a lot of people, most people maybe, it is "just hair". But we are a group of people who has come together on the internet because of our interest in growing the best long hair that we can. I would expect that a lot of us think of it as more than "just hair" except in a life threatening instance. I personally do not like that expression. It's really insulting and denigrating to those of us who do think it's more than just hair. I think almost everyone has something that's more than "just insert what ever item".

neko_kawaii
July 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
If its on my head it is just hair. I like LHC for the huge variety of information about hair: caring for it, styling it, discussing it, comparing cheese. . . but while the styles I use on my head reflect who I am (whether I give it any conscious thought) and are used by those who see me along with my clothes to type me (whether they do this consciously) it really is just hair up there on my head. I wouldn't bat an eye if it had to be cut for some reason (life saving, donation for a friend, extended stay in the hospital), its length simply doesn't define me.

ETA: Now if my mother lost her hair for some reason, I would mourn for it with her. Her hair is stunning and super slow growing, so it really would be a loss.

RitaCeleste
July 23rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Well, I had the attitude its just while I was growing out bad cut after bad cut. I shampooed, I conditioned, I colored and that was it. Then I thought I fried it and was going to have to start over. That got my attention. I put haircare in a higher place not just for me but for one of my daughters who likes her hair long. I don't think weekly treatments and a little oil in between are a big hassle. I don't think an occasional protein treatment is too much work. Co-washing is the same as the shampoo conditioner thing I was doing effort wise. Some people put their effort in their clothes and budget for trips to salons. I just stopped with salons and upped what I spend on conditioner and oils. I see really pricey stuff for hair, and say "Hey, its just hair!" Everyone has boundaries and limits as to the resources and time they are going to spend on it.

EdG
July 23rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Of course it's not just hair.

It's a timepiece. :cheese:
Ed

erialc
July 23rd, 2011, 02:36 PM
Well, my girlfriend is of the opinion that it is "just hair". She has such potential to have beautiful, long and healthy hair... but no, she's just not interested in taking care of it, although it already reaches her waist. I keep nagging her about letting me braid it (to try and decrease some of the breakage from her daily ponytail) and today I succeeded in secretly slipping some oils in there while making a French braid. Oops...

For me, it's far from just hair. It's a way of expressing who you are. If it really comes down to it, sure there are lots of more important things, but yeah, I care for my appearance and my hair is a part of that.

ravenreed
July 23rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
It is just hair to me. Like a nice dress that I have invested in, or an expensive piece of jewelry, I treat it well and enjoy it because it does represent an investment in time, energy, and money. It it necessary to mental or physical well-being? Absolutely not. I would be me with short hair or no hair.

DarkBeauty
July 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
I think hair is a reflection of your personality, health. So it's not just hair, i mean imagine (god forbid) that you would suddenly loose all your hair, my confidence would be down to zero, of course i could just get a wig. But it's not the same... it's not the same as my own real 'homegrown' natural hair. Hair is important, treat it right and stay healthy.

lapushka
July 23rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
It is just hair to me, and I prefer it long for lots of reasons. That's just my preference and nobody else's business but mine. If something tragic happened and I'd lose my hair or have to cut it, then --of course-- it's not just hair anymore. Unwanted drastic changes hurt because it's a part of your appearance. Apart from that, I think Bene described it well. It also stops being "just" hair when other people start making a big deal out of it (whining for you to cut it, teasing, bullying, jealousy, etc. ...).

TheCaityCat
July 23rd, 2011, 06:06 PM
I've never been able to think of my hair as "just hair". It's a reflection of how I take care of myself, both physically and mentally. If I keep it clean, shiny, and full, then it easier for me to keep my body healthy and strong. Same thing with my mental health. If I keep taking care of my hair even when I'm feeling cruddy and can't sleep, my mood is lifted a bit. I can put in a pretty barrette on a down day or keep taking fish oil supplements (good for lots of body parts!) even if I have a bad cold or am angry for no reason. It all makes me feel better.

Or maybe I just have a weird psychological connection with my hair.

Schipperchow
July 23rd, 2011, 06:42 PM
NO!:p It's not just hair, to me. It represents my self-care.

Raiscake
July 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
I'm obsessed with my hair, but I chalk that up to my general tendency to obsess about everything (RPGs, books, collecting notebooks, etc). For me, it's really just hair. I love taking care of it and playing around with it, but I wouldn't be so devastated if I suddenly had to cut it. It'll always grow back (I hope!).

elbow chic
July 23rd, 2011, 09:00 PM
I've always been pretty vain about my hair. (looking back, my vanity was not always justified, but hey.)

If mine were to start falling out in clumps tomorrow, I'd find that pretty distressing. Or if someone hacked it off in my sleep.

So it's more than "just hair" to me. Though it would probably be more virtuous if it were!

SarahKayfa
July 23rd, 2011, 09:34 PM
To me, it is 'just hair' as much as any any other aspect is 'just...' Like just shoes, or just clothes. How I look & present myself is important, but I change my look a lot, and my hair doesn't define me. But I still want to look good, and my appearance does matter.
I agree with the other poster who said not to throw the whole routine at your mom yet, as someone who's grown out a shaved head, I miss how super low maintenance it was back then- If someone told me I'd be doing all this for my hair back then, I'd have said they were crazy. She won't need more than a gentle shampoo for a long time. Next she'll need a few clips or Bobby pins to get through awkward phases, and she'll be fine with just finger combing till her hair gets at least ear length, maybe longer depending on her hair type. Take it in an as needed basis with her. When she starts needing a brush/comb for instance, go with and help her choose one that won't damage her hair, and maybe show her how to detangle gently.

Slinks
July 23rd, 2011, 10:20 PM
Before I came here to LHC yes, it was "just hair" .. sometimes I wish I hadn't found this site ;-) what was "just hair" is now treasured silver !! I'm trying hard get away from being so obsessive about it .. on the same line, I don't want it to be "just hair" I want a medium where I can look after it, let it grow and not worry too much about it, if I get a split, so I get a split, if I get it caught in my jumper taking it off, I don't want to feel OMG my hair .. yeah "just hair" sounds really good to me sometimes but it'll never happen now !! lol - LHC has me in it's grips, there is no letting go .. :-)

Lianna
July 23rd, 2011, 10:37 PM
So I told her that if she wanted to grow long hair that I could help her with tips on taking care of it. I explained my routines to her and after much mockery ( in a kind way, she just thinks I'm a bit mad, hehe ) she decided that this was too much effort and that it was "just hair"

She probably thinks this way because a lot of people don't really need more than a conventional routine to grow long hair.

aliceinmadness
July 23rd, 2011, 11:43 PM
No, I don't think it's just hair. It's an indicator in many ways - when you're malnourished for instance, your hair and nails usually show it first...not to mention the evolutionary implications for sexual selection. Vanity is easy to scorn, but there is a point to it, whether we like to admit it or not. It can indicate your mental state, your attention to personal care, and even to some extent your social status. We communicate with our appearance as much as we communicate with body language and speech.

Your personal level of attachment to a certain length or color may vary, but I mean it in an overall social sense.

Henrietta
July 24th, 2011, 05:09 AM
It's normal way of thinking for people outside LHC I think. Even those who want to grow it long don't change their routines and don't care. They think it will just happen. And even if it doesn't happen they still don't bother to use wide tooth combs... :sigh:

For me it's not "just hair". Never. It's always important, on the swimming pool, when I sit and my braid may get caught between me and chair, when it's windy... Always.

kamikaze hair
July 24th, 2011, 05:45 AM
"just hair" no **** way!! for me it is not just hair. Its still one of my body parts. I find it invasive when someone tries to grab it without my permission, like I would any other part of me, I find it insulting if someone mocks me about it like I'm nuts for caring about it. There is nothing wrong with caring about your hair and treating it well. You would put on moisturiser if your skin felt dry. You'd eat something if you were hungry right? so why wouldn't you nourish and protect your hair, it's a part of you. I've always found that "its JUST hair" argument to be really (insert words here that are not allowed on the LHC)!!!

but thats just me, and no I don't think its an issue of being vain, or to do with self-esteem. Not particularly, everybody has different things they like about themselves more than others, but that doesn't mean its bad or good. It just is.

Thinthondiel
July 24th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Could it ever be "just hair" to you?

Absolutely, as long as it grows back. I wouldn't want to go bald and never get my hair back, but other than that, I'm pretty relaxed about my hair. I've let my sister give me pixie cuts many times (not lately though, because I want long-ish hair now), even though she always goes "oops" because she cuts one part too short and ends up having to cut the rest shorter as well. I don't mind, because it's "just hair" to me and it grows back. That's also why I've experimented with cutting layers into my own hair without actually knowing what I was doing (and that was after I joined LHC). I figured that if it turned out awful, I could always go to a hairdresser and get it cut short.

I kind of want to shave my head once in my life, just to see what it's like.

Mesmerise
July 24th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Well, it's "just hair" in the sense that if I had a choice between losing my hair and a loved one, I'd choose to lose my hair!

But, that being said, for all it's "just hair" I am sort of obssessed with mine, and always have been! No my hair hasn't always been great, and it hasn't always been long, and it's copped a fair amount of abuse... but I do regard it as something integral to me.

Hair is a major factor in a person's appearance, and a drastic change to one's hair can really make a person look different, so I think hair can be a fairly big thing for many people!

Sure some people may not give it a second thought, but I've often obsessed about it! I do think it's important to keep your hair in proportion though, as there are many more important things in life!

Melanie Marie
July 24th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Like a few people have already said, it really just depends on your outlook and what your priorities are.

While there are things that are infinitely more important than hair, I don't think of it as "just hair". In many Asian and Middle Eastern cultures, our hair is our crowning glory and the height of our femininity and beauty. This is why women have worn veils for millennia, women of Eastern, Western, and pagan religions alike. For literally thousands of years, a woman's hair has been something so special and precious that it was almost sacred. Certain Eastern religions do consider hair to be sacred. In certain places in India both men and women do not cut their hair at all.

Being half Indian myself, I feel hair is more than "just hair", but within reason. My God, my family, and the ones I love are of much greater value than my hair. It's always important to put things in context.

ellen732
July 24th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have always admired people who thought hair was "just hair". Being a hairstylist for 18 + years I admired those daring people who would try new cuts and say "it grows back if I don't like it". I always stayed "safe" and kept my hair long. I have also had clients whose head I have shaved prior to starting chemotherapy and shed tears with them over losing it. Some have put more emphasis on losing their hair than fighting cancer. In that respect I just have to believe that it is only hair and there are more important things in life.

Sweet Beat
July 24th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hm... nope. My hair "rules" pretty much how I feel. I guess it's the same thing as many girls get sad when a nail breaks. It's only a nail, but there's so much hard work and effort destroyed. But like me now, I have all my nails very short and I don't care about them. In the same way, I think the ones who spend time in their hair get more sad when something happens to it.

teela1978
July 24th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Its just hair. What else would it be? My hair has been many different lengths and colors. I find it easier to care for, and prettier long. So I keep it that way. If I cared more it'd probably be shorter and highlighted, but its just hair and easier to put up when long so it stays long. Plus I can cut it myself and not visiting the salon saves a lot of money.

discoisntdead
July 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM
No, my hair holds a lot of meaning to me. I mean obviously it's not a matter of life or death, but it does impact on how I feel about myself. Long hair makes me feel pretty, girly, carefree, feminine, attractive...

DoubleCrowned
July 24th, 2011, 11:13 AM
People who are comfortable in short hair styles and people with fast-growing hair can be more casual about hair, but for those who feel best in long hair, it is different. If our heads were shaved, some of us may not even have enough years of life left in us to get back the length we like.

You could say "just a tooth," too. So you get your front teeth knocked out, and a dentist fits you with fake teeth. You have your smile back in days. Someone chops off your long hair, and it's years to regain the hair you are most comfortable in.

Sure, anyone here would sacrifice their hair for something more important in life than portraying an image that reflects who he or she is. But a hair stylist has been trusted with hair that you treasure. For that stylist to say, "It's just hair," is like a dentist who pulls the wrong tooth. "Whoops, now you will need TWO false teeth!" (and he makes a nice profit...)

SoulOfTheSea
July 24th, 2011, 11:25 AM
If it was "just hair" I wouldn't be on this website!! :flower:

Mairéad
July 24th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Well, there are certainly things more important than the length of my hair, but I really don't find my routine for it a nuisance or particularly time consuming.

I think for some, hair is important on the outlook of themselves, which could be very important in them feeling the best they can.

Eternal.Fiend
September 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I think people say that in terms to hair when they realise it does take a little more work to have long, healthy hair, especially when they have to give up things like heat styling. But to me it's worth it, I love having healthy hair.

And my opinion of whether hair is "just hair"? The easiest way to explain it is: when I was in hospital for four days when I was 12, I didn't brush my hair, I didn't even think about it. When I was out of hospital, I spent an hour slowly combing out the mass of knots my hair had become. Basically, when I have more important things to worry about, I don't think about my hair. But if there isn't other stuff going on, then I like to treat myself by looking after my hair. Same with things like make up and wearing nice things.

Lucky
September 8th, 2011, 12:38 PM
For me there's always been a lot of energy tied up in my hair, it's sort of a reflection of where I am, how I'm feeling, etc.
My mom has cancer and I see how upset she gets not having hair, she told me it's been one of the hardest things to cope with during her treatment.
So, in my view, it's not "just hair" even though it's not the end of the world if it gets cut or whatever, but there's a lot tied up in it.

spidermom
September 8th, 2011, 01:00 PM
When push comes to shave, yes - it is "just hair". Make a mistake with it and it grows back like new (pretty much).

That doesn't mean it's not important. Personally, I love my long hair, and if I lost it, it would be a very sad day for me.

julierockhead
September 8th, 2011, 01:03 PM
It depends on the context... I would say Maslow's hierarchy of needs explains my thoughts pretty good :) There are definitely more important things than hair, but if everything else is in order, hair can be really important to me. As it is, hair is not "just hair" to me, but in other kind of a situation it might be.

I hope I made some sense :P

Word. Makes total sense.

http://www.businessballs.com/maslow.htm

CarpeDM
September 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM
If it were "just" hair I doubt the LHC would exist...

ratgirldjh
September 8th, 2011, 01:21 PM
In a way, she's right. Yet again, to many, it is more than "just hair".

It all depends on your outlook, I guess!

I agree with this! lol people can be obsessed about anything though... or not... :D

Amber_Maiden
September 8th, 2011, 01:26 PM
To me it's not just hair. It's a way of not paying attention to problems in my life. It's something to distract me.

ratgirldjh
September 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM
To me it's not just hair. It's a way of not paying attention to problems in my life. It's something to distract me.

I have to agree with this too! Whenever I am stressed out or nervous I find myself doing a lot more hair 'experiments'. LOL

Roscata
September 9th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I had short hair for about 10 years and in that time it was "just hair" because I didn't really care about it, in my mind I could do whatever I wanted to it because it would grow back in a few months. Now, when I'm growing it out and investing, time, effort and money into it, it is way more than just hair.

leslissocool
September 9th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Hair is really important to me. It's not vanity, but symbolism almost. It's a big part of my personality, and so far it represents my relationship with the outside world. When my hair is long, luxurious and healthy I feel happier, healthier and just good.

I had suffer from hormonal Alopecia, I know what it's like to have bald spots in your hair. I had it when I was pregnant ans when I was 12 ( which could also had been due to anorexia at the time). I was horrified, it was really hard on me.

MajorasMask
September 9th, 2011, 02:10 AM

Definitely this.

Flame3345
March 11th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I've always had short hair my whole life :O (except some 80s hair, short top and long in the back, to my shoulders or chest at a time) so i guess it depends how much a person cares for their hair :)

einna
March 11th, 2012, 12:40 PM
My hair is a part of me. It might not be as important as skin or eyes, but it still matters. :)

Zindell
March 11th, 2012, 01:46 PM
It is more than "just hair" for me. It's part of my identity. :)

Sillage
March 11th, 2012, 01:47 PM
It's a lifestyle, LOL

Shesta
March 11th, 2012, 02:05 PM
My dad would be the one saying "it's only hair". :D

For me it's both a long-term experiment and consolation when I feel sad.

Lady Neeva
March 11th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Nope. I talk about hair all the time and my parents always threaten to cut it. I disregard.

princessp
March 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Of course it's not just hair.

It's a timepiece. :cheese:
Ed
Lol, I love this!

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Its hair to them but to us its a part of something bigger. Its like our pride and joy. We spend time and money on it.

Miss Catrina
March 11th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Technically, sure, it's "just hair", but to me that sounds the same as saying "it's just my face" or "it's just my smile" or "it's just my self-esteem". :p The "just" downplays the importance it has to many people.

Hair has been and still is such a big part of many cultures, the significance of it can't really be denied. Try telling one of the only black girls at a predominantly white high school it's "just hair" when she's afraid to wear her natural curls, or try telling someone who just got a disastrous pixie cut it's "just hair" now that people make false assumptions about her sexuality (been there). For many (most?) people, hair plays a huge role in how they feel about themselves, as much or more important than even the clothes they wear, in some cases. Hair can represent so many things: your style, your personality, your political views or sexuality, religion, etc etc.

So to an individual, it might be "just hair" - they might not really care about it. But from a societal standpoint, especially considering the massive amounts of money spent on maintaining it, hair isn't "just hair", and it's a poor assumption.

When people say that, you kind of want to ask, "Well, what if you woke up tomorrow bald? Or with a head full of dreadlocks you don't want? It's just hair!"

HintOfMint
March 11th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I can understand some of the sentiment behind the "It's just hair" statement. There are certain things I will not do in my pursuit of longer hair. Cold rinses are one. Won't do it, no shan't.
I think that's what she meant, the upkeep or the mindfulness of it. My "enlightened" hair routine was more abstention of certain activities, rather than actively doing treatments, but if someone told me that I HAD to make all sorts of elaborate potions on my hair to grow it long, I'd probably tell that person "it's just hair, calm down."

lundmir
March 11th, 2012, 10:30 PM
It used to be, for me. Even last year, when I got it down to my hip. I coloured, bleached, layered it, I didn't mind at all. It would get longer. And then I cut it into a pixie!
I have been really sad about it. It has been nearly 10 months, and it is down to my shoulders, but I still don't feel like myself.

It is as if I'm in the mourning process for something extremely dear to me. I now know that I must have long hair, it is a part of my identity. I still bleach and dye, but it can stand it, and I use the less damaging method I can.

Macaroni
March 12th, 2012, 12:42 PM
To me, it's not "just" hair, neither is it very important. I often think that I would gladly shave my head without regret if I had to go through chemo but in the meantime, I do enjoy it. I would rather have a good hair day than a cute outfit.