PDA

View Full Version : Hair above ears around temple-is yours thinner and/or finer?

shikara
July 22nd, 2011, 11:50 PM
I'm wondering how many people find that the hair above the ears and by the temple is thinner or finer. Is this a normal thing? I think mine is both, so a couple days after washing, I watch carefully when I do my updos because it can become more noticeable - sometimes it almost looks like I might have had hair thinning there, although I don't think that's the case (never really paid much attention to that before joining LHC).

rena
July 23rd, 2011, 12:07 AM
My hair is quite fine and soft around this area. I think its as normal as any other variation of hair.

aaperez
July 23rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
My hair is shorter i call them my frizzys they go all the way around my head and seem to have a life of there own. Sometimes i will even get little curly 'horns' on both sides of my forehead when they curl up. :evil:

SoulOfTheSea
July 23rd, 2011, 12:16 AM
My hair behind my ears is like that too... it sticks out when I put my hair in updos and it makes it look terrible, lol. But yeah it urks me to no extent D:

monsterna
July 23rd, 2011, 12:55 AM
Mine is the same. Depending on how I pull the hair back, it can look like I'm thinning out bad. It's weird and I hate it. But I have the same as you.

pixiestar
July 23rd, 2011, 01:18 AM
I have this also. And only noticed since joining here:) I do have some new growth there as well now, I get the curly horns to:D

wtchmel
July 23rd, 2011, 01:43 AM
I know mine is, and isnt everyones? the hair is just finer/thinner, has been forever for me.
:)

Joliebaby
July 23rd, 2011, 01:55 AM
Yeah I have this too. If I pull everything straight back my hairline looks a bit weird, almost like balding patches at the temples. Ugh. You wouldn't see anything normally though.

Jing
July 23rd, 2011, 03:05 AM
Mine is baby-hair-fine and blonde. Also curly. Looks very neat when I pull my hair straight back because I get blonde streaks along the sides of my head - the rest of my hair is medium brown.

Bohemian Haze
July 23rd, 2011, 03:39 AM
I have this too. When my hair's up, I get these little patches of fluffy sticking-up hair at each temple!

Celtic Morla
July 23rd, 2011, 07:35 AM
I had very thin patches bove my temples since my sonw as born 17 years ago. When I stopped using commercial shampoo and oiling my hair it started growing back! I have some hairs nwo that are about8 inches long some that are about 3 but they're there!! And my hair is getting thicker i really do believe that the chemicals we are exposed to every day do cause loads of issues in our bodies!

lapushka
July 23rd, 2011, 07:45 AM
My hair's the finest in those areas, and seems more prone to breakage. Nape hairs figure into that as well.

Madora
July 23rd, 2011, 07:45 AM
My hair is finer above my ears and there's less of it, as compared with the hair on the back of my head.

All the fine, delicate hairs around my hairline are extra delicate (and there are a lot of tiny flyaways mixed in). I'm always careful when I braid not to pull back the hair too tightly. Those front hairs are more fragile than the others, or so I've read.

goldenmoments
July 23rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Mine are finer and thiner....unfortunately they also get greasy looking the fastest. Preventing me from wearing updos on third day hair...

Rocket22
July 23rd, 2011, 08:18 AM
Humm interesting mine is thinner and I actually thought it was from years of extensions. I'm sure that didn't help but guess this is a finer spot anyway.

pink.sara
July 23rd, 2011, 08:38 AM
Another in agreement!
I have much finer hair strands and they are not as dense around my temples and front hairline. Although the rest is very thick and dense with mostly M coarseness. It's irritating in updos and I do try not to pull it too tight! It's just always been a bit fluffy!!

Naava
July 23rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
I thought that is the way everyone's hair is? I would like to hear from someone whose isn't :p

terpentyna
July 23rd, 2011, 09:11 AM
Boy do I have this.

luthein
July 23rd, 2011, 09:12 AM
Ohhhhhh yes, I have this. I call it temple fade.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8859/templefade.jpg

dulce
July 23rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Yep,1 have this.Had it all my life but it definitely got worse after menopause.

oktobergoud
July 23rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
Mine is both! It's really annoying, I think.. but I remember that hair dye packages say to start dyeing at the back of your head, because your hair is thicker there. So I guess it's quiet common? :)

MissManda
July 23rd, 2011, 12:07 PM
Yes, the hairs in that area are a transparent blonde color that turns flaming Cheeto orange when I henna. I didn't realize the hairs there were so blonde until the first time I hennaed. These hairs are superfine and kind of dense, but the density is nothing compared to the hair on the rest of my head, which is supersuperdense and a medium brown color.

I've had this for my entire life and I used to be very self-conscious about it, but since pretty much everyone I know, including my M to M/C-haired DF has this, too.

Spacescape
July 23rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Apart from the little baby hairs all around my hairline, my hair is thinner and finer on my left temple. Not significantly thinner on my right, just on the left. Go figure.

Pirate Cat
July 23rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
My hair is mostly straight and thick, but all across my hairline are fine, lighter colored little whispies that curl up like nobody's business. I like them. :)

Clarita
July 23rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
I have this too. I think it started getting even thinner/finer after I turned 30. Or, maybe I'm just noticing it more since I'm getting a little bit older :D.

ange1ito
July 23rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
Yep I have this too and only really noticed it since joining LHC.

Miss Maisie
July 23rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
I have this, too, and it's definitely the first place to look greasy. I keep telling myself that it's natural, even if it's annoying. The sides of my hair are much thinner when compared with the back.

Raiscake
July 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
I have a lot of baby hairs around my hairline and nape. I just kinda live with it, but some people think it's cute?

proo
July 24th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Perhaps updos cause subtle pull at the temples that causes it to break there since it somehow is a vulnerable spot - I can often feel it tug there, especially as the day wears on and my do slides back. Sometimes at home I wear a silky scarf as a headband after i get my hair up, seems to take the load off the temples and smooth them down.

nazzooyzo
July 24th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Yep I have this too and only really noticed it since joining LHC.

Yep i'm exactly the same!

lacefrost
July 24th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I have this too! My hair is finer (and MUCH more loosely curled) above my ears. It's both enjoyable (oo silky) and annoying (gah wavy bits!)

Mairéad
July 24th, 2011, 08:25 PM
The hair my temples is more coarse and it curls.

IndigoAsh
July 24th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Mine is the same as the rest of it. The only part of my hair that is finer and thinner than the rest is at the end of the hairline on the base of my scalp..

shikara
July 24th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Perhaps updos cause subtle pull at the temples that causes it to break there since it somehow is a vulnerable spot - I can often feel it tug there, especially as the day wears on and my do slides back. Sometimes at home I wear a silky scarf as a headband after i get my hair up, seems to take the load off the temples and smooth them down.

I suppose this could be but I only just started wearing updos a couple months ago, and they are not tight (no pulling) at all.

Springlets
July 24th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Oh yes, the hair around my temples is not only finer, but much lighter, actually platinum.

pixiedust
July 24th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Haha ! this is kind of funny/ relieving as I've been worrying about this. Ever since i've started growing, i've had this 'problem', but I think I know why. I NEVER used put the front of my hair up in any sort of updo, and never tucked it behind my ears for as long as I can remember; I always had heavy side swept bangs and a deep side part because I was self concious about my forehead/bad skin. When it was longer before, my hairdresser used to joke about my 'sideburns' - the hairs at the side of my head were breakage free and healthier than the hair in the back. She'd always try to get me to cut them off or trim them but I'd freak out, so she just let it be.

Perhaps it IS the updos that causes this ? I just know that although my hair is now long enough to put it all back into a half up, even if I do so loosely i will develop a burning/tugging/aching in my temple area, so I have to adjust it and leave those hairs out or else it continues to hurt and i experience more breakage.

PoliticalPilot
August 12th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Whew, it was reassuring to read through this thread!! I have much finer/thinner hair at my temples, I think. It's hard to tell since my hair is red, but the hair at my temples is almost transparent blond. :p
I keep worrying that I"m going bald, starting in the front. But maybe that isn't true. :cool:

CurlAhead
August 12th, 2011, 07:19 AM
My hair on the top is actually corse and all crooked.. A bit thicker I guess? Don't know how, because that part is most dry and damaged..?

QueenJoey
August 12th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I've noticed that with my hair, too. Very thin right above the temples. So I have to be careful how I pull it back or up, because it looks like I have bald patches on either side of my head. Very annoying..

AceOfCurls
August 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM
My hair is also very thin and fine (baby hairs) around my head. It looks weird because I have a small widows peak, but the baby hairs go around head so it looks like I have a bald patches too. I love the baby hairs though because they are so silky and smooth the way I wish the rest of my hair could be.

blondecat
August 12th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Thining and Much Much finer.

Mum has had very thin hair all her life, Now at nearly 87 she is pretty much bald. My father is 87 and he has more hair than her.

Zindell
August 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM
The hair at my temples are thin and fine. Have always been!
I have to be careful if I put my hair up so I don't drag it all back or I'd look like I'm in some prestage of balding. Especially since I am blonde. :D

Rosetta
August 13th, 2011, 03:59 AM
The same here :) Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

Chetanlaiho
August 13th, 2011, 03:38 PM
It's always been finer but now I've been noticing it being thinner also :/

Lady Malys
August 13th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Not thinner, but definitely finer and more delicate.

katythegreat
August 13th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I agree with everyone else. Finer hair around the temples becomes much more obvious when hair is up.