PDA

View Full Version : Black or dark brown?

BeccaAngel
July 22nd, 2011, 11:43 PM
I'm thinking of doing a hair colour change, in about a month or so. What do you think, black or dark brown? :)

Katurday
July 23rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
Dark brown, black seems a little too intense for your skin shade.

aaperez
July 23rd, 2011, 12:19 AM
Dark brown if you want it to seem natural if your going for something more out there black would look nice and stand out more maybe even a black with a purple or blue undertone. Though my friend and I think it looks nice as is too.

Aveyronnaise
July 23rd, 2011, 12:37 AM
I actually like the red tones you have versus a black or brown. I have a friend whom you resemble a lot with your coloring and she did a dark brown to black once and to be honest it made her skin look a bit yellow , it just brought out those tones. I think the reddish makes your skin look really porcelain. I think you could go more red.

BeccaAngel
July 23rd, 2011, 01:17 AM
I actually like the red tones you have versus a black or brown. I have a friend whom you resemble a lot with your coloring and she did a dark brown to black once and to be honest it made her skin look a bit yellow , it just brought out those tones. I think the reddish makes your skin look really porcelain. I think you could go more red.

I have tried reds, burgundy and auburn and brownish red in the past. Anything with a red tone fades too fast and turns Orangish. This is what I'm trying to avoid. no orange-ness for me its hard to keep red or burgundy in my hair. :)

BeccaAngel
July 23rd, 2011, 01:52 AM
and black usually makes my skin paler, more white. not yellow or some strange color. hmm so black or dark brown? :P

KittyLost
July 23rd, 2011, 04:02 AM
If you like to change your hair a lot then dark brown as sometimes black dye build-up can be a pain to get rid of whereas dark brown starts off as black and is easier to change.

jojo
July 23rd, 2011, 07:03 AM
My daughter is very pale skinned and is naturally dark brown, think Irish colouring. I think it can look quite delicate as long as you go no more than 3 shades darker, more than this and you will look washed out. Overall I think your colouring would look nice as a medium to dark brown with some auburn to prevent the washed out look. A henna gloss would look nice over a medium brown and would give a lovely glow to the brown, plus glosses stay around a bit longer but do fade eventually.

mellie
July 23rd, 2011, 07:26 AM
What color eyes do you have? If you have clear blue or green eyes, black hair might look very pretty, like Megan Fox. If you have brown eyes, then dark brown will look really pretty and give your eyes more brightness.

mellie
July 23rd, 2011, 07:27 AM
Also, what color clothes are your wardrobe generally? Different color clothes will look better, depending on which hair color you choose.

DarkBeauty
July 23rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
I think black is beautiful, but don't permanantly dye it black, unless you have naturally a darkish brown hair. But sometimes black can have that ''fake'' ''plasticky'' look if too dark, sometimes a very dark brown works well, because it doesn't look so ''fake'' but it still looks borderline black. Also, a nice coloured faint tinge (Plum/cherry) tone looks beautiful with very dark brown and just adds abit of warmth to the skin.

Aveyronnaise
July 23rd, 2011, 07:48 AM
and black usually makes my skin paler, more white. not yellow or some strange color. hmm so black or dark brown? :P

Have you had black hair before ? You could try a manic panic temporary to do a test so you wouldn't be stuck with it .

Also to the above poster I totally agree with what you are saying about the plastic black. I think it's because even natural black hair has other colors highlighting it . My hair is a natural soft black and it has kind of ombre tips that give it warmth and depth. A lot of the black dyed hair I see is very uniform and flat, it just doesn't have that complexity .
That said , there is a 'natural' type dye that I used on somebody back in the US called "Naturcolor" I think it was a demi color (?) and it actually let the natural highlights show through and looked very good. They had several dark brown to black colors as well not just blue black.
Good luck on your coloring adventure!

October
July 23rd, 2011, 08:59 AM
I agree with trying a non-permanent 'test' before coloring.

I myself tend to go with the lighter shade and then if I think it still looks 'not dark enough', I go up a shade. Better safe than sorry, you know.

maborosi
July 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
Depends on your skintone and features. I am actually surprised that I look as good as I do with almost black hair. Some people truly look awful with it, and I think it's when their hair just looks "flat" with no tones underneath it.

My hair is a reddish "dark brown", but is actually closer to black. My pictures in the album really don't help to show the tones in it, lol, but it's beautiful in the sunlight :3

I have also never understood the whole "don't go more than X number of shades darker". I'm naturally blonde and I think my natural hair color brings out the ruddiness/redness in my face, whereas black makes my skin look a more uniform color. Explanation, please, anyone? :)

~maborosi~

QueenJoey
July 23rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
dark brown is more flattering. It's easy to go wrong with black. Sometimes it can look too one-dimensional and fake, as well as totally wash you out.

gergelul
July 23rd, 2011, 11:08 AM
well, I usually go by the premise that " the darker the better" when it comes to hair. But I do believe that a dark brown looks better and has a more natural feel to it than black

BeccaAngel
July 23rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
What color eyes do you have? If you have clear blue or green eyes, black hair might look very pretty, like Megan Fox. If you have brown eyes, then dark brown will look really pretty and give your eyes more brightness.

i has blue eyes or green eyes, they like to change colours lol

BeccaAngel
July 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM
my hair is naturally a light brown actually. and yes i've dyed it black in the past. i can put any hair colour in and it looks good. my only worry about black is the lightening process if i get tired of it. which makes me lean more towards dark brown instead.

i honestly love burgundy or red for hair colours but I can't deal with the colour fade to orange. unless anyone knows how to avoid that orange fade? because i would gladly keep red shades or burgundy if it weren't for the fade.

BeccaAngel
July 23rd, 2011, 12:27 PM
so its either this
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/annalevion/softblack.jpg

or this
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/annalevion/mohagany.jpg

or this
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/annalevion/6-1.jpg

DuckyDot
July 23rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Have you tried henna? For the red that doesn't fade?

ETA: I'd go with the second one, looks like it has more depth.

BeccaAngel
July 23rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Have you tried henna? For the red that doesn't fade?

ETA: I'd go with the second one, looks like it has more depth.

isnt henna more expensive? and more messy to deal with?

BeccaAngel
July 23rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
wow, i keep going back and forth here. i have no idea which colour i want. i like dramatic and im tired of looking "natural" i might go for the black

Toiréasa
July 23rd, 2011, 05:29 PM
I like the second color,Henna can be less expensive than box dye and once you have achieved the color you like all you have to do is root touch with little to no fading, but it is a little more messy than applying regular box dye.

kidari
July 23rd, 2011, 05:32 PM
I vote a dark brown that washes out in 28 or so washes. Dark dyes tend to be more resistant to fading and if you can test drive it for a month or two. When it's time to touch up and you feel you do want to go darker then you can dye it black. Neutral black or soft black is a lot easier to pull off and always be aware that black is very difficult to change later. Also, with a dark brown dye it will look almost black at first and then gradually fade. Definitely post pics when you dye it!

BeccaAngel
July 24th, 2011, 03:08 AM
the change has been chosen, you will see results when it is done if you wish. :)