PDA

View Full Version : First time using coconut oil

Jader_Jem
July 22nd, 2011, 10:56 PM
Hi there! Im using coconut oil for the first time tonight and was wondering since I get super greasy roots and have to wash daily, if I should be using the oil every night or not? :)

Mairéad
July 22nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
You certainly don't have to. I only deep treat once a week with coconut oil and I have dry hair! But I do like to leave a tiny bit in my ends every morning.

In case you have trouble with getting oil out, usually a good trouble shoot is to get it out with conditioner before you go in with the shampoo, then condition again. I'd just try to keep the oil away from your roots, perhaps apply from the ears down.

QueenJoey
July 22nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
I starting to use my coconut oil at night before washes, so it soaks in really good before I wash my hair the following morning. I use a tiny bit on my roots right after washes, too.

And I totally know what you mean by oily roots! I'm the same way. But now that I've started stretching washes, my hair isn't getting as oily as soon after washes. It used to be that I had to wash my hair every morning, but then I held out for a day, and eventually my hair didn't get super greasy until 2 days after my washes. Now I'm trying to get two days between, and again, my hair doesn't get as greasy as soon.

khan
July 22nd, 2011, 11:06 PM
:grouphug: Welcome to LHC! Once you get used to the forums you'll find all kinds of threads about coconut oil. Do not put on your scalp; apply to ends & canopy. If your hair is dry it will soak it up. Using it every night ? kinda depends on your hair. "since I get super greasy roots"
Are you distributing the oil from your scalp down the canopy? If so you may not need it nightly.

Happy browsing. khan

Jader_Jem
July 22nd, 2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies! What I did was put it on from the ears down because I do have quite a problem with the greasy roots. My hair is somewhat dry and damaged, but it tends to look dry anyways because its curly and frizzy lol. I will definitely try the conditioner to help get it out. I have tried to stretch my washes out but usually I cant skip more than one day because it gets super nasty and itchy too, but I try to wash it only when it absolutely needs it.

goldenmoments
July 23rd, 2011, 08:17 AM
I would be careful about too much protein. Personally when I use coconut oil more than once a week or two my hair starts getting dry.

Raiscake
July 23rd, 2011, 08:23 AM
I used coconut oil on my hair for the first time today! I used it as a pre-wash treatment. My hair drank it all up, especially in the ends. I applied it quite liberally (divided my hair in 8 sections and oiled it till "wet"). Does this mean anything? I know coconut oil penetrates hair, but if mine drinks it up so much, what does that mean?

I just finished washing my hair and I'm about to try damp oiling out. Can't wait to see the results!

Jader_Jem
July 23rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Washed the coconut oil out of my hair this morning and then applied FX Silk Drops to the length of my hair and it's still quite damp but the ends already feel super smooth! I think I will only use the coconut oil maybe once or twice a week but continue to use the silk drops after every washing. Any ideas on that? Good idea or bad idea? Thanks for all your advice! Im so glad I found this site! :)

*Rose Red*
July 23rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
I think once or twice a week is a good idea, that works for me, too!

Jader_Jem
July 23rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
OK awesome! I think i'll give that a try for a while and see how my hair likes it! so far its way diggin it! LOL :D