PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of B Vitamins

Crystal2010
July 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM
I wanted to share my little story with you. As someone who has had thick hair all my life, I took for granted that it would always be that way. I eat a reasonably healthy diet but it probably could be better. Last summer, before I got married my hair was shedding badly. Not in handfuls, but more than it ever had before. My nails became weak and peeling. Only after I had some blood work done, due to other symptoms, was I diagnosed with a B12 and folic acid deficiency.

Many B12 injections and lots of high strength folic acid tablets later, I am now on the road to recovery. And only now, as I see baby hairs growing do I realise how this deficiency had affected my hair. My hair was barely growing. And it was thinning and shedding. Now, I am pleased to say I have grown 1 inch in a month.

All I can say is that by body was using the B12 and folic acid to maintain vital organs and my hair was way down the list. Many of you will know that what we put in to our bodies feeds our hair more than we put on it. But I truly believe that my hair situation would have been much worse had I not been a member of LHC and looked after my hair as best I could despite my ill health.

For me, it was a combination of good nutrition and topical care. LHC was a beacon of light for me when I was losing my hair, and helped me choose treatments that would not make the situation worse.

In some ways, my deficiency has given me a reality check. It's taught me to think carefully about what I eat and drink with the added bonus that I now tailor my diet around what's good for my hair. Because, if it's good for my hair it's pretty likely to be good for the rest of me!

islandboo
July 22nd, 2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for sharing that! I am glad you were able to learn what was going on with your health.

whitestiletto
July 22nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
My nails were peeling and splitting recently, but I thought it was because I had painted them and used nail polish remover a couple times. The only did it for a couple weeks, and I stopped painting them and it went away... I wonder though. I'm vegan 4+ yrs now, and I take vitamins sometimes, like once a month. But there's not really B vitamins in a vegan diet. LHC has inspired me to start taking my vitamins every 3 days, so hopefully I'll see increased growth!

Jezerellica
July 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
My Neurologist recommended high doses of B vitamins taken throughout the day for migraines. Well, it made no difference in the migraines, but my hair!!! WHEW! I could not believe the difference. I had been eating poorly and under a lot of stress. So, I had serious growth both new and in my longer hair. I remember my follow-up appointment 6 months later, I was so exited about my hair, it made up for the headaches at least for a while. Ha! I know you are right about this! Thanks for the reminder!!

McFearless
July 22nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
I'm glad you got it sorted out, Crystal. Vitamin deficiencies are the worst. I hope you get 100% regrowth!

MissHair
July 22nd, 2011, 08:29 PM
Thank you for highlighting this. I bought B-vitamins a month ago and since then Ive stopped shedding. I had a terrible illness in January and after a 3 day fever I felt like I was going bald. I cant stress enough the importance of vitamins, I, who never took them for several years, now realize its been the source for me to maintain the hair on my scalp. I cant find a single strand of hair in the shower drain anymore, 6 months ago I had to pluck out two handful after every shower.

Dont believe any pharmacist or dietitian who says its not necessary to take them unless you eat a balanced diet. I thought I ate a balanced diet but I still had a deficiency. Same with iron aswell. As long as the vitamins you eat are not synthetic, then I believe they are good for you.

The same time I started taking B vitamins I started taking very high doses of D vitamin. I live very up north and I hardly see the sun for more than 4 months a year so Ive lacked D vitamin most of my life. Im noticing results already. Im blind to the lenght but I can definitely see babyhairs and less shedding. Its exciting!

khan
July 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
So glad you posted this. Like whitestilleto I abstain from meat. Not vegan, vegetarian. My hair grown less than 1/4" a month. Maybe I should check out the prenatal vitamins again. Take one every other day. Any suggestions out there? I think there's something the type of iron, can't remember what tho'.

Madora
July 22nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
Thank you for a very important message, well delivered, Crystal 2010! I'm glad you had the support you needed to help you overcome your vitamin deficiencies! Very scary, that!

Same thing happened to me..only I was very anemic due to diverticulitis and poor nutrition. I never regained the hairloss I suffered, but fortunately, still have moderately thick hair, although the left side is thicker and fuller than the right side.

It is very important to eat healthy and supplement with vitamins as needed! I checked with my physician first, though, just to be on the safe side!

Bohemian Haze
July 23rd, 2011, 03:45 AM
I've been vegetarian for over 20 years. I try to eat healthily and get all my vitamins from my diet alone. But as a teenager, I wasn't that vigilant and I noticed it straight away in the quality of my hair. My sister (kindly) told me that I needed to supplement my diet and I bought some vegetarian vitamins. Three month or so later, and I had noticeably thicker shinier regrowth! It taught me a lesson. When I feel I need it, I take the B vits!

oktobergoud
July 23rd, 2011, 05:45 AM
So glad you posted this. Like whitestilleto I abstain from meat. Not vegan, vegetarian. My hair grown less than 1/4" a month. Maybe I should check out the prenatal vitamins again. Take one every other day. Any suggestions out there? I think there's something the type of iron, can't remember what tho'.

I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat a lot of meat. I try to eat much beans and eggs.. and I take this iron supplements with vitamins and minerals in it as well! It also contains vitamin B (all kinds), iron obviously & a lot of other stuff :)

Schipperchow
July 23rd, 2011, 06:13 AM
Thanks for posting this. I used to put "take vitamins" on my to do list to remind myself. I need to do that again. :)

vanity_acefake
July 23rd, 2011, 06:16 AM
Thank you for sharing this.
Glad you are recovering.
:)

chickpea
July 23rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
My nails were peeling and splitting recently, but I thought it was because I had painted them and used nail polish remover a couple times. The only did it for a couple weeks, and I stopped painting them and it went away... I wonder though. I'm vegan 4+ yrs now, and I take vitamins sometimes, like once a month. But there's not really B vitamins in a vegan diet. LHC has inspired me to start taking my vitamins every 3 days, so hopefully I'll see increased growth!

For the sake of your health, I would encourage you to learn about the importance of supplementing a vegan diet with B12. There are other B vitamins in plant foods but they are not a good source of B12.

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs

GypsyGoddess
July 23rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
I completely agree about needing to take vitamins. I was a vegetarian for ~3 years, and I couldn't figure out why I had these deep ridges in my nails. I took hair/skin/nails vitamins for about 6 months straight and I now have nice smooth normal-person nails.

Please, especially if you are a vegan or vegetarian, take some sort of multivit. It doesn't even have to be every day, I found every other day was about all I could remember.

Gulbahar
July 23rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
I started taking a vitamin B complex last year - actually because someone told me that it would help with mosquito bites. I don't know about mosquitos but after about two weeks my crazy shedding that had been going on for years (by then I thought it normal!) suddenly stopped. I've gained 1cm in circumference since!!!
Early this year I started taking a BC pill and after a couple of months my shedding was back. I was racking my mind what could have caused that. So I found out being on the pill often leads to low vitamin B levels. I then doubled my dosage and the shedding got less. It's not gone yet, so I might have to increase the intake even more.

Crystal2010
July 23rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
I'm glad my story has been helpful. B12 is only found in meat, fish and dairy products and I have never been vegetarian or vegan. My problem was that I was not absorbing it, so basically my stores were being depleted. B12 is stored in the liver and it can take up to 7 years for it to be fully used up, hence why the effects can take time to show up.

I was on the birth control pill, which as has been said can use B12 up. Stress is also a B12 enemy and I had definitely had a stressful few years leading up to my diagnosis.

Injections every three months for the rest of my life will ensure that my levels stay normal.

But it has really shown me the importance of nutrition and vitamins in hair care and that I can't take for granted that using products externally will take care of everything. I've now found a good sublingual liquid version of B12 which I use to supplement my injections. I also take a good quality multi vitamin and some extra vitamin C for help with iron absorption. I'm starting to explore other supplements as well and have increased my intake of green vegetables and oily fish.

The difference in my hair growth and shedding has been amazing. I always used to wonder why it didn't grow quick and why I lost lots of hairs every time I washed it.

Chetanlaiho
July 23rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Since I started taking a multivitamin (prenatal ones actually so they have folic acid too), biotin, MSM and horsetail I started shedding way less. The last couple of weeks I kind of fell out from taking them and I started shedding badly. So much that I went to have my blood checked :/

But since I started taking the first three again it's much better, I think I too may actually need them. Which might not be great news since soon I'll be a student and may not be able to afford them anymore. But since I plan on going on BC too, after reading this thread I think I may get some extra B12 supplements when I do, on top of my biotin.

Ineedmorehair
July 23rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
I wish I could take it on the regular but I hate the yellow pee and the funny vitamin smell that comes with it. How do you guys deal with that. Gross, I know. Watch someone come in here and state something really obvious, like drink more water:D

DoubleCrowned
July 24th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Senator Dick Durbin (D-Ill) has worked hard for years to destroy our freedom to take vitamins. His latest threat is the “Dietary Supplement Labeling Act of 2011" (S.131), which has just been formally introduced. If implemented, most of the supplements formulated after 1994 would be outlawed. I did some research, and am calling and emailing to tell my congressmen to vote against it.

Jezerellica
July 24th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I wish I could take it on the regular but I hate the yellow pee and the funny vitamin smell that comes with it. How do you guys deal with that. Gross, I know. Watch someone come in here and state something really obvious, like drink more water:D
Well, I hate to say it, but um...more water!:eyebrows:

Crystal2010
July 24th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Senator Dick Durbin (D-Ill) has worked hard for years to destroy our freedom to take vitamins. His latest threat is the “Dietary Supplement Labeling Act of 2011" (S.131), which has just been formally introduced. If implemented, most of the supplements formulated after 1994 would be outlawed. I did some research, and am calling and emailing to tell my congressmen to vote against it.

We had something similar in the UK, which as usual, was a European Union directive. Not going to get into politics, but I am heartily sick of been told what I can and can't put in my body by some faceless bureaucrat. My health, my choice end of.

Perhaps if these laws come into effect, I can sue the European Union for the irreversible nerve damage that my pernicious anemia can cause? It's called 'pernicious' for a reason - a B12 deficiency without the appropriate treatment can KILL.

Madora
July 24th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Well, I hate to say it, but um...more water!:eyebrows:

Yes, that's EXACTLY what my doctor told me. The urine was more concentrated (yellow) because I wasn't drinking enough water.

Besides, water is good for you and your hair!

bkitty09
July 25th, 2011, 06:02 PM

I just cut my vitamins in half and take half in the morning and the other half at night.

October
July 25th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I don't take B12, but I do take B6 and B7 (Biotin). I am actually on my last Biotin pill, so I gotta go get more - I will pick up some B12, too. :)

Henrietta
July 26th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Thank you for sharing. I keep my fingers crossed for your complete recovery. It'g good to see that you are on a good way. :grouphug:

Spring
July 26th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks for this... I've not taken my B vitamin in a couple of months and I've been noticing more shed than usual. Not to say it's related, but I'm going to get a bottle of B complex vitamins and see in a couple of months how things are going.

krissykins
July 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Best wishes for a quick recovery, and thank you for sharing your story. :grouphug:

This is why having a balanced diet is so important. I have an iron deficiency and my doctor believes it might have had a large role in my ridiculous shed (though we're still blaming it on the meds I was previously taking).