PDA

View Full Version : Baby Shampoo

GoldberryHair
July 22nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
I've heard this makes your hair really soft and silky, and even helps with it's growth. I have yet to try it ( I think I may when my current bottle runs out) Anyone have an experience?

Dina L.
July 22nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Me! :cool: Actually I use a babybath as a shampoo, and I love it. It's Babylove from DM, but others swear on Dulgon Kids Shampoo. But if you're not from the continental Europe, you might never heard of these. :)
I have a quite sensitive scalp that tends to have dandruff, but no anti dandruff shampoo helped me but made it even worse. With this kind of shampoo (and ACV rinse and some oil massaged into the scalp about once a week) I'm more than fine. :)

Catarina
July 22nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't use it, it can be very drying. That's why you'll see babies hair poof up like it has static.
I made the mistake of using it in my teen years because the J&J commercials said it was so gentle on baby's eyes and would it be great for adult hair.

NO wonder I had dry, strawlike hair I couldn't do anything with for awhile in my teens.

faithsdaisy421
July 22nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't use it, it can be very drying. That's why you'll see babies hair poof up like it has static.
I made the mistake of using it in my teen years because the J&J commercials said it was so gentle on baby's eyes and would it be great for adult hair.

NO wonder I had dry, strawlike hair I couldn't do anything with for awhile in my teens.
I agree!!! I used to use it, and my hair was so icky. Ugghhh....:(

Dina L.
July 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM

That's interesting as J&J baby shampoo has SLS in it. I wonder how can SLS be gentle on eyes (nor on skin).
I also think that a baby's hair (and scalp!) is more fragile and soft as the adults' hair so it's just illogical that baby shampoo is good for babies but bad for adults and it makes adults hair dry. I think you just ran into the bad baby shampoo.

Blandine
July 22nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
I use Hipp baby shampoo occasionally and my hair seems to like it.

Tuna
July 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
i use baby shampoo! it's great because it's gentle! give it a try :)

florenonite
July 22nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
Baby shampoo's generally not good for hair as it's pH balanced for the eyes (tears have a pH of 7.4) rather than the acid mantle on the hair and skin (5.5, I believe). It might work ok with an acid rinse afterwards but it is fallacious to think that because it's for babies it is therefore more gentle on the hair; what makes it gentle for babies actually makes it harsher on hair.

chahuahuas
July 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
That's interesting as J&J baby shampoo has SLS in it. I wonder how can SLS be gentle on eyes (nor on skin).
I also think that a baby's hair (and scalp!) is more fragile and soft as the adults' hair so it's just illogical that baby shampoo is good for babies but bad for adults and it makes adults hair dry. I think you just ran into the bad baby shampoo.

So true! I loooove my California Baby's Super Sensitive Shampoo & Bodywash! Sulfate free, and it doesn't even have a sulfate derivative! I've tried 3 other sulfate free baby shampoo & bodywashes (burts bees and johnson), and CB's is my favorite by far! It's AWESOME! :inlove:

PS- if anyone wants any info on it, I can post more... I've just been spamming the boards about CB so much lately, one might think I'm getting paid for it :p But nope, I just really like it [and I love evangelizing :lol:]

summerjade
July 22nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
My dermatologist suggested me use baby shampoo because it is bland, not a lot of unnessary ingredients in it because I have been having scalp issues. It works really well for me and leaves my hair soft and shiny.

LunaMoon
July 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
Baby shampoo's generally not good for hair as it's pH balanced for the eyes (tears have a pH of 7.4) rather than the acid mantle on the hair and skin (5.5, I believe). It might work ok with an acid rinse afterwards but it is fallacious to think that because it's for babies it is therefore more gentle on the hair; what makes it gentle for babies actually makes it harsher on hair.

This is true: the PH of baby shampoo is more alcaline so if get in their eyes don't hurt (no tears shampoo). The best shampoos are acids.

racrane
July 23rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
It didn't do anything for my hair. Static was worse when I used it, though.

jojo
July 23rd, 2011, 05:47 PM

you beat me too it, its also a slightly higher pH to help prevent cradle cap. It works on adult hair the same as a clarifying shampoo does so it opens the shaft further than an adult shampoo. Pretty good though if your trying to fade a too dark hair dye but I would not recommend it for regular use.