PDA

View Full Version : Seeking UR Opinions and Thoughts :)

slo2gro
July 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
So my hair is growing out of one of those bobs where it was shorter, high and super layered in the back and longer on the sides. (sorry forget the technical name lol) You cant really tell from the avatar pic but due to this the side hair is nice one length but back is well layered with some short thinner stuff that can look strange fly off on its own at times and well YUCK. So, I sometimes think its not so bad when i put coconut oil on it and flatten it I dont use straighteners or dryers etc other times I think should i be chopping it off to another short pop and starting fresh... What would you do In my mind I think my hair is looking nice but then i look at it from the back and go oh dear its not and feel discouraged. Will it look better in time as it grows out. I dont mind cutting it off later once its longer yanno
Anyhow thanks in advance all I appreciate any input.
Terri :)

slo2gro
July 22nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
hahah opps I meant BOB NOT POP lol DUHHH

ddiana1979
July 22nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
I had a super layered haircut when I started growing my hair out too. I waited until I got to about APL (even though it was awkward & looked funny), and then had my stylist cut it to even it out a bit. When it got to BSL, I had it cut a little more. I still have a little bit of layering left, but it's minimal now (about a 1/2" from the "true ends"). When I get to waist, I'll have it evened out again, and that should take care of the last remaining layer. Everybody chooses a different way to deal with layers &/or unevenness due to short modern haircuts, but that was how I did it.

theodora
July 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
It's really down to how you feel about it! You can do it little by little, or you can get it all chopped at once. Although considering how short some of your layers are at the back, you'd have to cut super short to really get rid of all layers.
I would do like diana suggested and do it progressively. You'll have to be patient, but it won't be as traumatic as a big chop could be.

pixiestar
July 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'm growing out a graduated bob as well:(
I'm in the no trims challenge. I'm growing till the end of the year, where I hope I will be at apl or just over. Then I will trim the hemline into a straight line I hope:) I do s&d's to keep on top of the splits and dots. And use foxes conditioning cream on the lengths and ends, which really helps the condition:)

Madora
July 22nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
When I had hair that short, although it was not layered, I couldn't wait until it hit my shoulders. Then I evened up the hem and kept it blunt cut from thereafter. It is a lot easier to care for hair of one length.

In the meantime, you can baby your hair by using hair friendly products, combing with a wide tooth comb and using a gentle bbb (no synthetic bristles).

Also try a silk pillowcase to protect the ends.

Keep the shampooing to once a week, if you can and no straightening, hot curlers, hot irons, or blow drying.

Eat healthy and drink plenty of water.

Before you know it, your hair will be ready to be trimmed.

Good luck!

pink.sara
July 22nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
I'm growing one of these out now, I just trimmed teeny bits off the front for about a year, and at the point where the front was APL and the back was 2 inches shy I cut it even, it's still below shoulder and will probably take another 6 months to APL now but all the ends look good. I only lost 2 inches in front and 1/2 in the back.
Take a look in my Monistat growth album for the awful truth of what your hemline may become past shoulder!! Honestly though I would always pull the front bits over my shoulder so it never looked uneven to the casual look and no one ever mentioned it (my friends are very blunt and would have!)

It's not too awful to get past shoulder then maybe trim as and when you feel it gets scrappy? Or go hardcore and tolerate the hemline! At least now it's long enough to put it up and forget it for a while :)

aliceinmadness
July 22nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Give the ends a light mist with water (just enough to make a smooth roll, not to wetness) and roll it inwards, then pin the roll to the unrolled part of the hair (probably one pin on both sides to make sure it doesn't slide out). Leave it that way anywhere from 10-30 minutes and your ends should be curled under and look decent while you grow out the layers. You can top off with hairspray or dilute some gel into your water if you want to.

HTH.

auroraclio
July 22nd, 2011, 03:32 PM
I'm growing out a similar haircut and had my mother take an inch off the sides last week to even the hemline out more as it was very un-even and looked like an upside V when I had all my hair behind my shoulders.