PDA

View Full Version : Hair Sticks for a less serious interview look?

Cainwen
July 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
So, I know there are a couple of threads dealing with how to deal with long hair for interviews, but I thought I might pick your brains about this anyway, if you lovely ladies will let me :)

What is the general feeling about hair sticks (very very plain, no ornamentation) for job interviews? these are mostly project manager/administrative positions, not super-conservative financial jobs.

The reason I'm asking is I've been job hunting/interviewing for the past several weeks, and I was recently told by my handler that I needed to look/act less serious, which was backed up by a recent interviewer. I'm working on acting less serious (apparently I come across cold/intimidating?), but I'm wondering if part of the "looking" isn't that I have been wearing my hair in a fairly severe nape-bun, which combined with my interview suit (black skirt+jacket deal) might make me look more serious than I mean to.

So, sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but any thoughts or advice?

jaine
July 22nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
I would actually go back to your recruiter and ask for some tips. Who knows ... he might have been thinking about the suit. I rarely see people interviewing in suits any more these days - usually interviewees try to match the dress code of the place they're interviewing for, maybe a wee bit dressier.

Tabitha
July 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
How about a half-up? It worked as a professional look for Joyce Davenport in Hill Street Blues and your waves would make it look more relaxed than Veronica Hamel's straight hair.

Misti
July 22nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
I think the half up idea is a good one, if you're confortable with it or perhaps a looser bun with fun, colourful hairsticks that coordinate well with your bright v=colourful blouse under the black suit...? (That would be my answer.)

Chromis
July 22nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
I think plain hair sticks would be just fine for an interview. I would never wear a half up for an interview, nor would I leave my hair down unless it were too short to put up!

As to the looking too severe part, I would practice smiling a touch more for interviews and practicing with your body language. Body language translates much more than clothing into severity I think and it is better to dress professionally. I'm sure if the suit was the problem, the recruiter would have told you it was okay to dress down a bit more.

terpentyna
July 22nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
Like someone else mentioned, body language is key. They sit there for usually a long time and wind up needing intuitive impressions as much as cold facts about you. So be warm and open, but most of all be honest in the way you behave. Don't fake it, just bring out certain sides of you. Hairsticks? shoot, why not, as long as it's all classy.

pepperminttea
July 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
As to the looking too severe part, I would practice smiling a touch more for interviews and practicing with your body language. Body language translates much more than clothing into severity I think and it is better to dress professionally. I'm sure if the suit was the problem, the recruiter would have told you it was okay to dress down a bit more.

Agreed. I tend to freeze up when I'm nervous and hunch my shoulders. I'd probably curl right up into a ball if I could. :p I'd definitely ask the recruiter for more specific advice, your hair might well be perfectly fine as it is. :)

Cainwen
July 22nd, 2011, 03:32 PM
How about a half-up?

I would never wear a half up for an interview
I dont think I'd be comfortable with it half up. When left to its own devices, my hair definitely has a tendency towards floofy-ness and a mind of its own, which I would constantly be fighting during and interview (or worse, just playing with it absentmindedly :shudder:)

Like someone else mentioned, body language is key.

I know, this is probably my main issue, but my hair is so much more changable!

Part of the problem, I think, is that where I grew up and where I'm looking for jobs have two very different sets of body language. People around here are very open (I have never learned the life stories of so many waiters before in my life), while where I grew up and learned all my body language was much more reserved. So while I am acting "friendly" according to what I know, I'm acting "cold" according to where I am now. And I don't know how to easily go about changing this, since I am naturally reserved. I'm working on it with DH, but its hard to get the leopard to change its spots :(

I tend to freeze up when I'm nervous and hunch my shoulders. I'd probably curl right up into a ball if I could.

lol, I have exactly the opposite problem. I sit up ramrod straight, and fold my hands in my lap. I do have a tendency to tilt my head left for some reason. I wonder what kind of signal that gives off?:confused:

Chromis
July 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
I know, this is probably my main issue, but my hair is so much more changable!

Part of the problem, I think, is that where I grew up and where I'm looking for jobs have two very different sets of body language. People around here are very open (I have never learned the life stories of so many waiters before in my life), while where I grew up and learned all my body language was much more reserved. So while I am acting "friendly" according to what I know, I'm acting "cold" according to where I am now. And I don't know how to easily go about changing this, since I am naturally reserved. I'm working on it with DH, but its hard to get the leopard to change its spots :(

Think of it like acting. I think almost everyone has different "faces" they show to different people. You have the way you act around family, the way you act around friends, at school, and at work. You are just putting on your work act! No biggie. You are not changing who you are, you are just being who they pay you to be for a bit.

I found reading books about body language and about women in the workplace specifically to be really helpful.

faithsdaisy421
July 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
I think hair sticks are very appropriate. Less severe than a plain bun, but still professional.

Kathie
July 22nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
I agree, hair sticks are profession and because they're not the norm they add a touch of something to your outfit- something more about you. Also what about some nice feminine earrings, or instead of hairsticks a pretty clip. Also a colored silk scarf can take the harshness out of a suit but still looks very professional. Heres a pic illustrating the scarf look I was meaning. Shes not wearing a full suit- but you get the idea.

http://ayushveda.com/blogs/beauty/files/2010/01/scarf.jpg
Good luck!!!!