PDA

View Full Version : How to get heavy olive oil out of your hair

julliams
July 22nd, 2011, 07:20 AM
When I say heavy, I mean that I really slathered it in there. I'm in heidi braids going over my head now to sleep in and I'm wondering what the best way is to get it out of my hair tomorrow morning.

I was hoping to use conditioner to do it? Or should I use a clarifying shampoo?

Any tips will be great. Hoping I don't have to use dish detergent I've been reading about since i think this would be counter productive to what I've tried to do here.

Sundial
July 22nd, 2011, 07:25 AM
Definitely conditioner washing is the way to go. Just slather it on dry hair and leave it on for about 20 minutes. When you are ready to wash it off, slowly add water and keep massaging your scalp. Do this for about 5 minutes then rinse it all off. You should be clean then :p I do heavy oiling all the time (I would use a tablespoon on my scalp and dip the ends of my hair in a bowl of EVOO) and that worked well for me. I didn't have to follow up with a shampoo either

julliams
July 22nd, 2011, 07:30 AM
Oooh - thanks - this is just what I was hoping I could do. Cheaper the conditioner the better? I'm guessing I'm going to need a fair bit.

Sundial
July 22nd, 2011, 07:55 AM
Yup! That would work! It also helps that the cheapie conditioners also tend to be more runny so they work better at spreading over dry hair :flower:

EtherealOde
July 22nd, 2011, 08:19 AM
Conditioner will work. Make sure you let it sit on your hair for 10 minutes or more so it really has time to work at lifting the excess oil from your hair. If it still feels oily, do it a second time. I would do the first conditioner with a heat cap actually, to help more of the oil penetrate the hair shaft. Then if it still feels oily after rinsing, you can always do a second CO wash without having to spend an hour showering. :)

goldenmoments
July 22nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
You don't need to use too much conditioner. I dilute a clarifying conditioner. V05 kiwi lime with water and massage really well before showering. Then, massage again in shower while rinsing with warm water. Just in case I'll rinse with cold water when sealing for longer than usual too. Massaging,making sure water gets into the underlayers.

Now that I co, I prefer using oils on wet hair after washing rather than DT, since apart from coconut oil( which adds protein) oils work mostly as a sealants.

Nae
July 22nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
I second using the conditioner. It always seems to do a great job with heavy oiling for me. If you want to do a CWC that would probably work really well too.

CaityBear
July 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Definitely conditioner. I also soak my hair in olive oil for my deep oilings and use conditioner to get it out. Slather it on dry hair, sit for half hour or so (or however long you want, just more than ten minutes) then hop in shower, add a bit of water, massage really good, repeat that process until all conditioner is out. That seems to work best with me. I have fine hair that the oil sticks to so I usually have to massage a lot to get the best of the cleansing agents in the conditioner. But it works!

Carolyn
July 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
A CO wash works the best for me. I always do what I call a "long CO soak". I load my hair up with conditioner, cover with a plastic cap and turbie towel, and leave it on about an hour. Then I rinse that out and condition a second time. It works like a charm every time.

julliams
July 22nd, 2011, 09:42 PM
I had this old bottle of henna scalp and hair treatment - something I had picked up from a dollar store a long time ago. I pretty much finished off the bottle, slathered it into my dry oily hair, put it on top of my head, wrapped in plastic wrap and put a heat pack and cap on my head. I left it for about 45 minutes or so then washed it out with warm water. I was about 80% sure it was all out but I decided to give one more wash with a cheapo conditioner, rinsed in cold and now I'm airdrying.

I'm loving the way it's feeling - very soft which is not a word I would use to describe my hair. I'll take a picture once it's dry.

julliams
July 22nd, 2011, 11:25 PM
Here is an outdoor shot. It's a rainy day today so I have a little frizz and my natural colour is looking a little flat. But it feels really nice. I'm thinking I will do this again in the future. First photo is without leave-in and the second is with - not much difference but...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6137/5966242166_f84e423974.jpghttp://farm7.static.flickr.com/6150/5966259854_ecbd2025fa.jpg

Chiara
July 23rd, 2011, 02:01 AM
Oh your hair is lovely! I am so jealous of the thickness...

Georgii
October 11th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I use a full egg on dry hair and then wash it out and it works perfectly