PDA

View Full Version : How do you wash it?

Darkhorse1
June 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Curious to know if you all wash your hair seperate to your shower/bath, or if you do it while you shower etc?

I always wash mine seperate, under the faucet as I find I can get it much cleaner/to the roots. If I'm pressed for time, I'll do it in the shower, but I find I can't get all the scalp and it can be greasy. I only condition the length.

How do you all do it? I used to wash it in the sink, but my sink in this apartment is too shallow :)

Periwinkle
June 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Just in the shower. We have a detachable head, so I can stick it right up to my hair to clean the roots.

I get in the shower, wet all my hair through and rub my scalp with my fingertips under the water to make sure I've got it all, then put a tiny bit of shampoo on my scalp and leave it on while I use soap and shave. Then I rinse it all out, get out of the shower, wrap my hair in a towel, get dressed and then finally put my leave-in and frizz stuff in the length.

Newniepg
June 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I tend to lean over the side of the bath and use the shower head to wash my hair, the rest of my body gets cleaned in the bath on non wash days. :)

AJoifulNoise
June 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I wash my hair in the shower. It's just easier for me. I'm getting wet anyway so I might as well wash my hair! If I bend over under running water I always wind up with terrible tangles!

LynnM
June 25th, 2008, 09:30 AM
My hair is only at my shoulder blades, so I don't have too much trouble washing yet...

I wash only every few days now (2-3 days), so I wash in the shower with a 'poo bar on one day, and put it up in a bun/shower cap and wash everything else in the shower on the other days.

My sinks are small, so I don't think I could wash very long hair in the sink! :(

Chromis
June 25th, 2008, 10:29 AM
In the shower..with the rest of my body. Something tells me trying to use the sink would result in a backache from trying to bend that far and a gash on my forehead from hitting the faucet. Oh, and likely a lot of hair attempting to slither down the drain!

When I lived somewhere without a shower I sat in the bathtub and used a pitcher to pour water over my head.

Isilya
June 25th, 2008, 10:46 AM
In the tub. I will fill it for 1/3 with water, then lean back to wet my hair, shampoo, lean back to rinse, condition, let it sit, lean back and rinse a lot. Then I do a final (cold water) rinse with the shower head. I put my hair in a towel, fill the rest of the tub with warm water and do the other wash-things.

ETA: washing my hair like this allows me to reach my scalp everywhere, something I couldn't do when I washed it in the shower.

Islandgrrl
June 25th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Shower. Always have, always will, no matter what the length.

Delenn
June 25th, 2008, 01:13 PM
My mom always washed her bsl hair in the kitchen sink when I was growing up. She would scrub the sink first of course, but the pull out spray nozzle was quite nifty for rinsing. I've often thought about trying that in my new house since the water pressure is nowhere near what I had in my old apartment.... :(

heidihug
June 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM
In the shower. My hair is way too long (and would get way too tangled up in the process) to wash upside down in a sink or bathtub. My ends would get sucked down the drain, and I would find that to be grody beyond words.

Siava
June 25th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Even if I'm taking a bath I'll wash my hair in the shower first. My hair gets too knotted if I bend forward under the faucet. I don't feel it's clean enough if I do it mermaid style. I can't lie on my back to wash it under the faucet that way either - it's just umcomfortable.

savi
June 25th, 2008, 02:11 PM
In the shower during the shower. I don't bother washing separately.

Sinks are so small.. But they work when I need to use them. Just like washing your hair upside down in a bucket works.

mommy2one05
June 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I like to wash mine either bent over with hair in the kitchen sink or over the bathtub with a detachable hose. If I am really short on time then I will do it while taking a bath or shower but that is not my preference.

Darkhorse1
June 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Wow! This is neat. I've always washed my hair seperate. Mine doesn't get tangled too badly--well, maybe it does and I've just mastered this process. Hahahah. I would either use the sink, the tub when it got longer and flipped my head over and used the detachable shower head. Now, those don't have enough power, so I just kneel at the side of the tub and wash.

I don't mind the shower for speed, but I can't seem to get my scalp underneath, cleaned well. Probably because I'm in the shower for time! Hahahah.

Finoriel
June 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
In the shower. I get wet anyway and washing my hair extra would be too much effort. :p Low maintenance person here.
No tub because I would feel bad about using so much water to just wash my hair, while I´m able to get along with a not so resource intensive washing method.
No sink because of tangles, neck-ache, too much hair piling up in the sink and the hair eating monster in the drain :wacko:
Not washing extra in the shower or leaning over the tub because I´m way too lazy to wash extra when I can do it while showering. My hair is heavy when it´s wet, bending forward would be really uncomfortable. Bringing all the hair forward to wash it and back again after washing would create lots of unnecessary tangles which does not happen when I wash my hair standing.
Definitive: Shower! Always have and always will :wink:

ladykemma
June 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
detangle, flip hair upside down, detangle, "conditioner only" wash kneeling in tub. regular bath after hair washing for the rest of me.

clarifying shampoo once a week.

Anje
June 25th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I wash mine in the shower, standing upright. (It tangles quite a lot when I wash upside down.) I usually CO wash every 2-5 days (as needed), so I wet down my hair, slather on a bunch of condish, then wad up my hair and stick it all in a shower cap. I proceed to wash the rest of me, rinse off, then take off the shower cap and rinse my hair out. I find I don't need an extended CO soak-in for my hair to get clean, which is good because I probably wouldn't do it.

Riot Crrl
June 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I am way too lazy to separate these processes.

julya
June 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM
It depends on if I'm washing all of it, or just a scalp wash. Usually for scalp washes I divide my hair into pigtails and braid starting at my shoulders, then wash in the kitchen sink. For a full wash, I prefer the shower.

SweetPea88
June 25th, 2008, 03:43 PM
In the shower, I have one of those detachable shower head things too.

I tried for the first time yesterday to wash my hair by bending over the tub to "save time". Oh boy, was that a mistake. My hair was so tangled that I ended up having to jump in the shower anyway and straighten things out.

embee
June 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM
In the shower like always. I have a big plastic cup I put a tiny bit of shampoo (in summer) into with a lot of water. I pour that over and let it sit there for a while. Then I rinse well and often use a little conditioner prepared the same way - in the big cup of water. I can submerge the length in the cup, that is nice.

I have a strainer thingy I put in the tub drain when I wash my hair to catch any fallout.

hurricane_gia
June 25th, 2008, 04:35 PM
In the tub. I will fill it for 1/3 with water, then lean back to wet my hair, shampoo, lean back to rinse, condition, let it sit, lean back and rinse a lot. Then I do a final (cold water) rinse with the shower head. I put my hair in a towel, fill the rest of the tub with warm water and do the other wash-things.

ETA: washing my hair like this allows me to reach my scalp everywhere, something I couldn't do when I washed it in the shower.

This is more or less how I do it. I wet my hair by leaning back in the tub (mermaid soak), then I C-COW. I let the conditioners do their thing while I do other wash-things, then I lean back for a final mermaid rinse. I do one final rinse with the shower nozzle, and then I'm done.

Sometimes I do fill the tub with fresh warm water so I can have a relaxing soak, but I'm such a hippie about water use that usually I just get out and dry off after the shower-nozzle rinse. I do my relaxing soak in the tub on the days when I don't wash my hair.

kwaniesiam
June 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM
During shower, detachable shower heads are amazing for getting clean down to the roots/scalp.

Curlsgirl
June 25th, 2008, 04:51 PM

My mom always washed her bsl hair in the kitchen sink when I was growing up. She would scrub the sink first of course, but the pull out spray nozzle was quite nifty for rinsing. I've often thought about trying that in my new house since the water pressure is nowhere near what I had in my old apartment.... :(

I do one of these but my preferred is the mermaid soak :heart: I have always loved baths and so I just combine them. When I do a DT I often do the one Delann described.

hurricane_gia
June 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
No tub because I would feel bad about using so much water to just wash my hair, while I´m able to get along with a not so resource intensive washing method.

I have washed my hair in the shower once or twice with the drain plugged, so I could measure how much water I was using. It turned out I use less water with the bath method. I think this is because I take a long time to really scrub my scalp. And working all that conditioner into the length takes a long time, too.

If we had a low-flow shower head (it's on the list of home-improvements but is not a big priority right now), and a little switch to turn off the water without disarranging the ratios of cold to hot water . . . I might revisit the idea of washing my hair in the shower.

BlndeInDisguise
June 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I always wash my hair in the shower. I've tried leaning over the tub, but I end up spraying water everywhere, my neck and back and pretty much everything else gets so sore from holding up all that weight and the uncomfortable position. And my hair goes down the drain. I'm always worried that it's somehow going to get stuck down there and I'll have to cut it. :shudder:

Buddaphlyy
June 25th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I prep/pre-poo before I get in and then rinse everything out in the shower.

Belisama
June 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM
In the shower. Always have. Always will. I don't need feet of hair going down my drain. Ewww....

sipnsun
June 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Nice horse! I always wash my hair in the shower, I have one of those removeable shower heads so I can get the water very close to my hair. I've never had a problem, but my hair isn't very thick.

Darkhorse1
June 25th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I had to shower tonight after very humid weather and teaching/being at the barn. I bought new hair products, but dang, my hair gets more tangled in the show than if I wash it seperate. Isn't that weird? I guess if you have a system, don't mess with it. Hahahah.

Finoriel
June 26th, 2008, 03:08 AM
hurricane_gia :wink: I´m not using condish so I´m very fast. I´m finished within about 10 minutes with showering and washing my hair, 2 minutes with water on, then switch off for applying and letting my egg-shampoo sit and massage it in for about 5 minutes and then switch on the water again and rinse for 2 minutes, finish with an acidic rinse.
We have two really usefull things: a water saving shower head (think it was 6l/minute) and one of those pre-mix armatures which regulates the temperature :D both are fantastic. The shower head even has the possibility to simulate rain (very relaxing) or to use the massage function (high pressure but still low water usage).
With about 25l water for a shower/hairwash it´s really less than I would use in the tub. A regular tub has about 225l capacity, even if you only fill it 1/3 to be able to get your head under water it would be much more than when I use shower.
(And I forgot to add that I´m one of those persons who think taking a bath is less relaxing :o more boring.)

Think about it, the new shower head was one of the best things we bought last year and I think it´s already in with it´s costs. Home-improvement is exactly the right word for it :)

goldenwaves
June 26th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I wash mine in the shower. It's not that long yet though!!

Magrat
June 26th, 2008, 03:37 AM
We have two really usefull things: a water saving shower head (think it was 6l/minute) and one of those pre-mix armatures which regulates the temperature :D both are fantastic. The shower head even has the possibility to simulate rain (very relaxing) or to use the massage function (high pressure but still low water usage).

(And I forgot to add that I´m one of those persons who think taking a bath is less relaxing :o more boring.)

I have also a similar shower head (though I don't use the different water preassures much) and pre-mix armature. Easy to start and stop the water while keeping the temperature even.

I wash my hair in the shower. Before, when I used 'poo, I just let the water rinse through my hair as it lay down my back. These days, as I'm no 'poo, I am trying to rinse with cold water as a last rinse, and I just can't stand cold water down my back shudder: so now I stand in the bath-tub with my head upside-down and wash.

Oh, I also don't see the joys of bathing. It can be ok, but I want to read in the tub, and I'm way too caring of my books to risk getting them wet, so then I'll take something not as interesting and it's just boring... :rolleyes:

sexyjacksparrow
June 26th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I do mine in the shower. Wash hair and then put in conditioner whne I first get in and then leave the condish in until I've done the rest of my showering and wash it out last.

Kerry xx

Fencai
June 26th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I do it in the shower.

CWC- is the first thing I do. That way I can leave the last C on as long as possible, while I do everything else.
Then rinse with cool water by using the detachable shower head.

seems to work so far!

rhubarbarin
June 26th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I've found it more convenient to detach my showering, face washing and hair washing from each other. I seldom have time to do all three at once, and I don't like wet hair full of leave-in on my face right after I've washed it.

I only wash my hair twice a week or so, usually in the shower (I do the real washing with my head flipped over as that's the only way I can really get my scalp and roots clean). But I wet it every other day, and for that I just stick it under the facut for 30 sec. or so.

harley mama
June 26th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I do CO's in the shower. If I flip my hair over my head and wash in the sink, it (my hair) gets full of tangles. It is just easier to get it all done in the shower. If I am not CO'ing, I just pin my hair up to keep it from getting soaked.

FrannyG
June 26th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I wash my hair in the shower. It's comfortable, easy and effective for me.

When I was a young girl we only had a bathtub, but not a working shower, so I washed my hair in the laundry tub and rinsed it with a hose. I'm glad my days of leaning over a tub are over!