PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Thermal Hair Straighnening

gatodelasenora
July 21st, 2011, 11:46 PM
Has anyone done this (permement) process on their hair, or known someone who has? A friend of mine who is blonde and very curly had it done, and swears by it. I went to lunch with her one day: she left the house with wet hair that was only combed out. By the time we were done with lunch, it looked like she had blown dried it with a brush!
I was really thinking about doing this, but I'm scared of messing up my hair, having it fall out, or break off...

Anyone have any advice?
Thanks ;)

Sundial
July 21st, 2011, 11:57 PM
I did. If you like the sleek look, this is great. But as with all chemical treatments, it is still inherently damaging even if your hair looks shiny and sleek on the outside. Hair tends to be be more dry and has a tendency to tangle. It is also a hassle to keep up with the regrowth because the roots will be pretty obvious.

By all means, go ahead with it if you want it ;) I did enjoy my hair after the straightening. It looks twice as good with half the effort.

ETA: I didn't experience any hair fall or breakage but my hair is pretty resilient. I know of girls who did multiple chemical treatments before the straightening (perms, colors, etc) and their hair frizzed after the straightening and would break off in bits. Just be sure not to combine too many chemical processes within a short period of time.

xoxophelia
July 22nd, 2011, 12:12 AM
I had it done when I was in Japan. Honestly I didn't notice any damage. No splits, no breakage.. my hair was frizz free and a lot of fun while it lasted. Keep in mind I had cut my hair to a few inches below shoulders though and regrowth for me wasn't very noticable.

Kosmos
July 22nd, 2011, 09:10 AM
I did it while in Japan and my hair looked righteous for about 4-5 months and then damage started crawling up from the bottoms. It looked crinkled and was dry as heck. It also lightened my hair inexplicably.

My friend Daryle has thicker curlier Filipino hair and he had a little lightening but not so much damage. I suppose my hair was too fine.

gabee
July 22nd, 2011, 10:50 AM
I have fine and relatively thin hair (i) and I got this done maybe 6 years ago. It seemed fine for the first month or so, but then I noticed a chunk of very short hairs at the back of my head (where theres a "twirl", as seen on short hair). It turns out the treatment (or hairdresser) had ripped off a chunk of my hair! Anyways for a few months I had a chunk of hair sticking up at the back of my head, not pretty lol!

I think the main reason why I got this much damage is because of my hair texture. Since it is japanese straightening, it must be less damaging to someone whose hair texture is more similar to asian hair texture (M or C). I got it done with a friend who was half chinese, with much thicker hair, and it worked great on her!

So if you have thicker hair, and you're okay with the fact that your hair will be damaged (much like hair dye), then go for it.