PDA

View Full Version : Increased growth... My mind is boggled. Thank you LHC!

whitestiletto
July 21st, 2011, 06:09 PM
Long story short, I had seborrheic dermatitis badly and my hair was shedding a lot -- some might call it normal but I was very unhappy with cleaning my drain more than once a shower.

Then I found LHC and made the following changes -- no more SLS shampoos. Heck, no more shampoo! Started CO. Apple cider vinegar rinses. Henna and cassia treatments to help the s.d. That was a few months ago and just today I looked in the mirror and for the first time noticed how much MORE hair is growing out of my head! Holy crap! It's like, twice as much! All the hair in the following photos is just from within the part itself... a 1cm wide strip... I can't imagine how much more there is on the rest of my head.

I think there were two factors, and I'm not sure which to blame. Perhaps the SLS was making my hair fall out. My mom has used Denorex and Head&Shoulders her whole life and her hair is sooooo thin, you can see the scalp through it. However, I started this adventure by doing full-strength Apple Cider Vinegar soaks on my dry hair before washing it with SLS shampoo, and after merely -two- days of this the shedding stopped -completely-, so I would like much credit to go to vinegar for scalp health.

I am so mind boggled by how much new growth I have.. it's all exactly the same length so I can tell it all started when I made those changes!

PS -- you can also see my virgin (unbleached) roots with henna only on them, and I think it's such a beautiful color! I can't wait to have a whole head in a few years :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8186&pictureid=108441

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8186&pictureid=108442

slo2gro
July 21st, 2011, 06:26 PM
OK first i want to say that is fantastic.
I too have scalp issues. Psoriasis and dermatitis, I use Nizoral shampoo and head and shoulders and that Dovenex scalp lotion I think you mentioned it. My scalp is in decent conditon with that routine, I do not wash every day, more every second to third and I dont use those shampoos every time just once or twice a week if that depending on my scalp feels, however Id like to find naturally ways to bring relief to my scalp. Im very new here.

How Does the ACV rinse work.... I have ACV here a huge thing of it but do I dilute it, just pour it on not sure how it works. Id love to find something southing for the scalp. Your post has given me hope.

Thanks

T

whitestiletto
July 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
I had a three-step cure to my scalp problems, which may or may not work for you.

1. Pour 1/2 apple cider vinegar, 1/2 water on my dry head until all my scalp is wet, put it in a bun, with a towel around my neck and sit for about half an hour, then hop in the shower.

^^I did that every few days for a couple weeks. It stopped my shedding immediately.

2. Stop using any shampoos that contain sodium laureth/lauryl sulfates or similar compounds like potassium lauryl sulfate. After I switched to herbal shampoos after a few weeks I stopped using shampoo completely and ahve been conditioner only for a couple months now. Rub conditioner all through hair and scrub on scalp, then rinse.

3. Do henna and/or cassia treatments. This really smashed my dandruff/itchy/bleedy scalp and it hasn't been back since.

Once I got to steps 2 and 3, I stopped doing the ACV soaks. Now I just do a very dilute rinse at the end of the shower. After I rinse out my conditioner, I pour about 1/10 ACV, 9/10 water on my head and let it coat my whole hair, rest for a few minutes like it's conditioner, then rinse it out.

I henna about once every 2 months.

monsterna
July 21st, 2011, 06:38 PM
Awesome! I have similar new growth all around after joining LHC. I don't have a scalp condition, but it's nice to see the new hairs. Of course with new hairs comes the frizz (mine like to wurl all around :)). Ahh, well. I'm glad you found what works for you. SLS is evil :D. I don't even use a clarifying shampoo with SLS in it.

slo2gro
July 21st, 2011, 06:42 PM
Thank you so much for that information, I really appreciate that. I am going to utilize those tips indeed.
I am glad things have improved for you.
:) Thanks again

jojo
July 21st, 2011, 06:56 PM
thats fantastic news and I love your henna colour, it looks so natural.

SallyCinnamon
July 21st, 2011, 07:23 PM
I can't see the pics yet because I don't have enough posts, but I really liked your write-up and your hair tips! I had almost the same thing happen after I started treating my hair better. A whole new crop of baby hairs, and like you, I believe there are MORE hairs than were growing before!! In a year or so, our hair is going to be so thick! LOL!!

P.S. I use ACV too, and it helped a lot with my scalp itchies. :p

slo2gro
July 22nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
I cant see the pics either :( poop but look forward to when I can woot woot Im excited to try the acv too and other things, I have nasty second degree burn on my back so washing lately has been few and far between and with difficulty lol Never again I tell ya only the back as we were at the beach and I wasnt able to get sunscreen on my back alone grrr

erialc
July 22nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
The ACV rinse you did in the beginning is interesting. I have a BIG amount of baby hairs on their way out, which I figure is because I stopped with SLS-schampoo half a year ago, but I still do shed a lot. Maybe I should give the ACV soak a try... I really can't stand seeing all the hair all over my floors and clothes and not to mention the shower...

I actually just bought henna to try and thicken up and protect the hair more. I'm hoping it'll benefit me as much as it did for you!