PDA

View Full Version : damage and hair color- particularly golden

goldenmoments
July 21st, 2011, 05:17 PM
Hello darlings,
I seem to have a problem determining how healthy my hair is. It gets lighter, more reddish blonde about three inches from my roots. What worries me is when I inspect the strands the color is uneven the way dyed hair sometimes looks when it is porous due to pigment loss....

Now I have not dyed my hair in almost four years, so this should be virgin hair. :( I've had one inch trim so often last couple of years that I doubt any hair that was dyed could be appear starting at three inch from roots, my hair has simply grown too much.... or is it possible that after hair stops growing, if handled gently it would not fall out for so long?

Could damage from the sun/ wind cause damage that resembles the same pigment loss of dye damage?

I take very gentle care of my hair. I don't get many tangle and haven't brushed or combed often in last couple of years. No heat.
This January I started co only and regularly oiling with olive oil or coconut oil. As well I've tried smt.

I know stress and poor nutrition can cause hair to grow slowly, can it also cause the hair shaft to emerge irregularly?

aliceinmadness
July 21st, 2011, 08:05 PM
It sounds like it's just sun exposure. I'm a natural blonde and my roots are ALWAYS fairly dark in comparison to the rest of my hair. Only around my temples it comes in a white-blonde color. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

elbow chic
July 22nd, 2011, 08:02 AM
Natural hair often has a lot of variation, especially if you are blonde.

I reckon my underlayer and new roots are at least two shades darker than my ends and canopy, especially the hair right around my face, which is pretty much platinum-white.

Unless I'm willing to cover my hair every time the sun peeks out, I don't think there is much to be done about it.

Enjoy it!

goldenmoments
July 22nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks! I'll take comfort in your comments. I'll just switch my perspective, considering I've taken my hair's unevenness as a sign of damage.

monsterna
July 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
My hair is golden light brown and it's the same. I have different shades all on the same strand sometimes. I'll think something is a white dot, but if I rotate the strand, I can see it's just the light reflecting a lighter color on that part of it. Admittedly I do have highlights I'm growing out on the bottom 5" or so, but that was over 18 months ago. I still notice these color variations further up the length than I had highlights, and it's probably from the sun, even though I'm mostly a hermit. :)

Miss Maisie
July 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
I'm not blonde by any stretch of the imagination, but this happens to me too, particularly during the summer! My hair's very dark brown, but any time it gets sun exposure it gets a red cast to it. I was looking in the mirror the other day and saw a bright red hair and though, "There's my summer color!"

For the record, my hair is pretty darned healthy!