PDA

View Full Version : hair in the news: Rebekah Brooks

RedStripe
July 21st, 2011, 04:47 PM
There's a piece in The Daily Beast commenting in an unfavorable way on the long red hair of News of the World ex-editor Rebekah Brooks. I'm linking here to the post on Jezebel about it (which contains a link to the TDB story) because some of the Jezebel comments are kind of amusing. Make sure you click "All" if you want to read all of the comments.

http://jezebel.com/5823526/everybody-watch-out-for-rebekah-brookss-hair

Mesmerise
July 21st, 2011, 04:55 PM
Oh my...she may not be the most popular person in the world right now, but she has lovely curly hair!

kitschy
July 21st, 2011, 04:58 PM
Good for Rebekah for being who she is, no matter what the circumstance!

McFearless
July 21st, 2011, 04:58 PM
Her hair is beautiful. I kind of agree with Robin, the woman who wrote the article for The Daily Beast, but I'd keep that opinon to myself. To write an article about something like hair when serious crimes were commited seems ridiculous to me. As for Rebekah's hair if I were her I'd go with a simple, pulled back bun if I wanted more attention to what I was saying vs my appearance. Robin was insulting her hairstyle, but complimenting her hair and never insulted it.

pepperminttea
July 21st, 2011, 06:12 PM
The first thing I thought when I saw her on the news the first time was "Oh what lovely hair."

Her doings, not so much...

Spacescape
July 21st, 2011, 06:14 PM
Honestly, I've never paid much attention to commentaries on the clothing/appearance of public figures (maybe unless the person in question is acting as a professional model). I can understand incidents of poor hygiene or appearance grossly inappropriate for the occasion, but at some point it comes down to an issue of personal taste and I think that's where this lies. Grossly inappropriate might be if Ms. Brooks came in front of a committee hearing with hair teased and gelled into an Einstein-touching-a-Van-de-Graaf-generator hairdo, not what appears to be nicely styled, naturally very curly hair. I personally would have put my hair in a bun before a situation such as Ms. Brooks was in rather than leave it down, but I don't think her hair was inappropriate for the setting.

Belisarius
July 22nd, 2011, 01:50 AM
The first thing I thought when I saw her on the news the first time was "Oh what lovely hair."

Yeah me too. Perhaps we should ask her about her hair care routine and join this forum. :D

bunzfan
July 22nd, 2011, 02:18 AM

I thought the same, i thought what a head of hair.

mrs_coffee
July 22nd, 2011, 04:36 AM

Same for me.

Curly Hermione
July 22nd, 2011, 04:42 AM
I also thought she had gorgeous hair, we where watching the news and my mum said "I know what you're thinking, that she has lovely hair!" What can I say, she was right!
I love her hair, but I don't think it has anything to do with what she's done.

MonaMayfair
July 22nd, 2011, 05:12 AM
Curly and naturally red, my dream hair!

kyandii
July 22nd, 2011, 05:26 AM
I love her hair!
Everytime she's in a newspaper I tell everyone around "how amazing is her hair?!"

Buggheart
July 22nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
She has gorgeous hair. In fact when this story broke one our local reporters who is Asian and has the most beautiful, shiny black hair did the lead in to the story and I commented on her hair and told my hubby I wanted her hair. Then they cut to Brooks' hair and I was like oh wait no I want HER hair! It's absolutely gorgeous. I don't take a lot of stock in what styles and such people think are professional or not, but I've never heard of curly flowing hair considered as not professional. I don't get it.

nantang
July 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Even if it is just a stereotype, I think the "Curly Hair is Wild Hair" is kind of attractive actually. Especially on middle-aged women 30-40ish, it has a kind of vibrant flare, a sign of vitality when so many other women are cutting theirs short.

princessp
July 22nd, 2011, 10:56 AM
She's an absolute tyrant (but I do love her hair)! :p The comments were priceless.

oktobergoud
July 22nd, 2011, 11:28 AM

Same! I still think that whenever I see her on the tv or internet, honestly :P

However, yeah, she has done some horrible things... BUT HER HAIR IS AMAZING! ;)

oktobergoud
July 22nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
Curly and naturally red, my dream hair!

I think she dyes it! I remember seeing a picture of her and she had dark blonde roots... so I'm sure it's not natural! http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/07/97864511_a_l.jpg You can see it a little here, the roots are really 'short' though.. but I THINK they are roots, it could just be that her hair is naturally a bit darker but it seems less red as well!

But I could be wrong, of course :)

Alaia
July 22nd, 2011, 11:35 AM
Yeah I saw her in person being snapped by the paps (Robert Murdoch lives near my office, and I walked past to get my lunch just as they were getting in the car) and her hair looks just as lovely in person.

I'm not sure how much she was involved in the scandal, but I have to admit I've been too ill the last couple of days to see if the story has developed past what I last knew.

BohoClassic
July 22nd, 2011, 12:58 PM
I think she dyes it! I remember seeing a picture of her and she had dark blonde roots... so I'm sure it's not natural! http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/07/97864511_a_l.jpg You can see it a little here, the roots are really 'short' though.. but I THINK they are roots, it could just be that her hair is naturally a bit darker but it seems less red as well!

But I could be wrong, of course :)
Yes she does dye her hair. Ive seen her with dark roots and the shade of red she has does vary quite a bit over the years. Nice hair though. (Its ok for some having their own hair stylists and a gym in work though! lol).

kitschy
July 22nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Yeah I saw her in person being snapped by the paps .

This is where regional slang doesn't do me a lot of good. In my day, and in my area, paps were breasts. I keep envisioning someone grabbing Rebehah by her nipples and dragging her off. :cheese:

Tabitha
July 22nd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Paps = paparazzi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paparazzi)

kitschy
July 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Paps = paparazzi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paparazzi)

Oh, I see! Makes much more sense :o

alyanna
July 22nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
What a ridiculous idea that curly hair is dirty or unprofessional!

I'm surprised that several people here have gotten comments to that effect.

Tressie
July 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
I'm with pepperminttea and others, I thought her hair was/is beautiful! Wow!

Like a young Julia Roberts! :flower:

RedStripe
July 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
This is where regional slang doesn't do me a lot of good. In my day, and in my area, paps were breasts. I keep envisioning someone grabbing Rebehah by her nipples and dragging her off. :cheese:

Owwwwww!!!

oktobergoud
July 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM

LOL :D (oh my message is too short so I mean: hahahaha!)

Beatnik Guy
July 22nd, 2011, 06:28 PM
and her hair looks just as lovely in person.

Cool! Hopefully she'll grow it longer. :D