PDA

View Full Version : we're havin' a heatwaaaave, a tropical heatwaaaaave....

archel
July 21st, 2011, 04:10 PM
So yeah, I think my hair is just going to be crap until this horrible humid heatwave is over. I am pretty much Dutch braiding it wet every day because I can't stand it down when it dries because it's a frizzy I-don't-know-if-I'm-curly-or-not mess.

I have decided I am only allowed to heat style my hair on days when my band has a live show - so air drying is going to help its health, but it sure isn't doing my "look" any favors...

Anyhoo. I also have to wash more because of this nasty weather. I can't wait for Fall!!!

Rtzgrl
July 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Will you hate me a lot if I tell you that, here in western Colorado, we are having what is probably the coolest July we've had in years? If it makes you feel better, we have also been having a lot of rain, and the humidity has been ridicules!

Ligeia_13
July 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Amen to that! Autumn can't come fast enough. >.<

At least heat means I have my hair in an updo all the time so its protected from wear and tear :)

CrisDee
July 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
UGH, I know what you mean! I really REALLY hate the heat, and so many of our airplanes have wimpy cooling systems. I'm in a hair rut with my wet scrunchee-held cinnabun, putting my hair up wet really helps keep me cool on these hot days. But the top of my head looks like a widdle pile of :poop: with a scrunchee around it...

Roseate
July 21st, 2011, 04:21 PM
:wethree: she started the heat waaaaave by letting her seat wave/and the way that she moves that thermometer proves that she certainly can... can-can :wethree:

I've got nothing more constructive to say, it's cool here! I actually miss the Southern heat... :sun:

Mesmerise
July 21st, 2011, 04:26 PM
I miss summer :(

Haha and in 6 months I'll be the one complaining about the heat and all you on the other side of the world will be in the middle of winter!

annieangel149
July 21st, 2011, 04:32 PM
:wethree: she started the heat waaaaave by letting her seat wave/and the way that she moves that thermometer proves that she certainly can... can-can :wethree:

I've got nothing more constructive to say, it's cool here! I actually miss the Southern heat... :sun:

lol! i just loved your post and yes summer cant come fast enough for me! the weather is crap here in the UK at the moment!!!

archel
July 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM
Well, I lived in Seattle for 3 years and I'm missing THOSE summers right about now! A friend told me it's overcast and 60 F today in Seattle. Whaaaaaaaaaat?! It's in the 90s every day here with 50-100% humidity. URGH.

I'm mellllllting!! I'm meeellllllttiiiinnnngg! What a world, what a world! :cheese:

CrisDee
July 21st, 2011, 04:38 PM
I'm mellllllting!! I'm meeellllllttiiiinnnngg! What a world, what a world! :cheese:

And your little dog, too! :D

Zesty
July 21st, 2011, 04:42 PM
I feel your pain. It is so hot and humid here in Kentucky that my glasses fog up every time I go outside. It's been close to 100 F every day. :( Frizzies and flyaways abound. I hate it so much, I miss winter.

Slinks
July 21st, 2011, 04:43 PM
I miss summer :(

Haha and in 6 months I'll be the one complaining about the heat and all you on the other side of the world will be in the middle of winter!

I love the heat !! throw it me way USA and you can have our crisp cold clear blue sky day any day !! I never complain about summer days :-)

archel
July 21st, 2011, 04:44 PM
What's funny is I'll be complaining about snow storms in a few months and how it's too darned cold when I air dry my wet hair...

Vlientje
July 21st, 2011, 04:50 PM
You lucky Americans! Here in Holland it's rainrainrainrainnnn!

MiamiPineapple
July 21st, 2011, 09:23 PM
I am in SC and I could die of the heat. I leave my wet hair up in a bun everyday to stay cool.

Is it fall yet?

I moved here from Miami a year ago and this is so much hotter!!!!

Nae
July 21st, 2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah, it has been so miserable here I haven't really taken my hair down long enough to look at it for a week.

It is too darn hot. In this sort of weather we start having heat related deaths and that is never good.

xoerincolleen
July 21st, 2011, 09:37 PM
Here it's supposed to be 103 tomorrow and feel like 115.

(Edited because saying "please kill me now" is in poor taste right under a comment mentioning heat related death...whoops!)

rena
July 21st, 2011, 09:42 PM
I <3 fall, and am actually a fall baby anyway ;). My all time favortites are fall, winter, and the very beginning of spring.

I feel this weird guilt about loving the seasons in which everything dies. Is that strange? 0_0

TheCaityCat
July 22nd, 2011, 01:32 AM
NW Oregon is experiencing the same thing! We have an eighty-degree-plus day here and there but for the most part it's been a good bit cooler than average, and we've already surpassed our monthly average rainfall. I think it's making my hair more wavy.

Tabihito
July 22nd, 2011, 01:37 AM
Silly northerners and your inability to deal with what lasts three full months for us.

Haha, actually, I feel bad for you guys. We eventually get accustomed to it, enough so that lower nineties starts to feel incredibly nice. You don't have that opportunity, so it feels worse when it does get like this. All I can say is, whenever possible, wear your hair up and off your neck in a bun of some sort. It's so much cooler.

But really, there's no escaping the heat until you get get acclimated. Just... endure, and maybe take the opportunity to let the weather help you do a hot oil treatment.

Ligeia_13
July 22nd, 2011, 03:59 AM
I <3 fall, and am actually a fall baby anyway ;). My all time favortites are fall, winter, and the very beginning of spring.

Heh heh me too. I absolutely love the end of September weatherwise..Apparently some time this week, we had a high of 41 degrees. Which is 106 F. No wonder I was melting. Its going to be like this well into the end of August, it always is :( mooop

Aveyronnaise
July 22nd, 2011, 04:14 AM
lol! i just loved your post and yes summer cant come fast enough for me! the weather is crap here in the UK at the moment!!!
UGH It's total crap here in the south of France too! The summer started out super warm and lovely but now in July (?) it seems to be rainy and 68 degrees.

Jezerellica
July 22nd, 2011, 04:19 AM

I feel this weird guilt about loving the seasons in which everything dies. Is that strange? 0_0
Not at all!! I love fall too and it cannot come soon enough for me! I stay in the house like a vampire and only go out after dark or in the rain! ;)

Joliebaby
July 22nd, 2011, 04:28 AM
We are having a heat wave and I LOVE IT! I'm just sad that our summers are too short. I thrive in the tropics :)

Unzadi
July 22nd, 2011, 05:45 AM
Not at all!! I love fall too and it cannot come soon enough for me! I stay in the house like a vampire and only go out after dark or in the rain! ;)

:raises pale, sweaty hand:

Another vampire here, too. Do I get bonus points for the long, flowy dresses? Any time that big yellow burny thing is in the sky, I stay inside as much as humanly possible and mainline liquids to stay hydrated. Very hard to believe this is the same geographical area that gets all that snow in the lovely frozen winters.

wvgemini
July 22nd, 2011, 05:59 AM
It's supposed to be 104 today with the heat index. And MUGGY. Gah. You walk outside and don't know if you should breathe the air or swim in it. The windows in my office look like greenhouse glass right now. All fogged up, lol.

I don't mind it too much. I'll be spending time at the pool tomorrow! And I just think of some of my friends ... 120 degrees in Kuwait tomorrow.

WaitingSoLong
July 22nd, 2011, 06:46 AM
This heat wave is very hard. We usually get 90's and up in Indiana but not upper 90's for prolonged periods. I am having to hose down my horses, livestock are dying (not mine), older people are dying. It is so hot you cannot do anything, not even walk outside without sweating. Now, Like to sweat, but when I WORK, not when I am just standing. You all say you miss it or envy it, this is dangerous heat, not awesome heat. I love heat, too. I HATE winter and barely tolerate fall and our springs are cold. We only get 3 months of warm/hot weather and I live for it, but this is oppressive, dangerous, stifling and draining. I lived in Va. Beach 10 years and never felt heat this bad. But when I lived in Mississippi, well, that was the hottest place on earth. I have lived in San Diego and been in New Mexico, Georgia, SC, NC, FL, etc. etc. (ok I was a vagabond most my life). FL can get bad but So. Mississippi wins hands down!

Anywho, I am baffled that the heat wave is bad for hair? My hair has never felt/looked better than in this high humidity/heat. I am actually wearing it down more if I am not going to be outsid because it is so silky and smooth right now.

Schipperchow
July 22nd, 2011, 07:02 AM
I just hope I get a nice growth spurt from this heat :cool:

silverstars
July 22nd, 2011, 07:12 AM
Im in New York near the great lakes and its been high 80's and over 90 F. My house doesn't have air conditioning....blah. So warm. It hasn't rained in about a week. Its heating up my fish tank so much I put ice bags in my tank so the heat doesn't kill my guppies....can't say I've ever had that problem before. Me and my fishies are melting. :P

EtherealOde
July 22nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
Yesterday we got to 101 degrees, in Michigan for heaven's sake!!! The heat index was a lot higher, I swear it felt like a blast furnace outside. Anyway, during this ghastly heat, I've been rinsing my hair a couple of times a day with water only, mainly to rinse out sweat and salt. Then I put it up and it helps me to stay cooler. It hasn't damaged my hair to keep it damp so much, as far as I can see, and it feels softer. I won't mourn the heat when it goes, I don't tolerate the heat very well at all.

Nae
July 22nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
This heat wave is very hard. We usually get 90's and up in Indiana but not upper 90's for prolonged periods. I am having to hose down my horses, livestock are dying (not mine), older people are dying. It is so hot you cannot do anything, not even walk outside without sweating. Now, Like to sweat, but when I WORK, not when I am just standing. You all say you miss it or envy it, this is dangerous heat, not awesome heat. I love heat, too. I HATE winter and barely tolerate fall and our springs are cold. We only get 3 months of warm/hot weather and I live for it, but this is oppressive, dangerous, stifling and draining.

Anywho, I am baffled that the heat wave is bad for hair? My hair has never felt/looked better than in this high humidity/heat. I am actually wearing it down more if I am not going to be outsid because it is so silky and smooth right now.

Exactly, it is bad in Indiana. Give me 90s without this oppressive humidity any day. My glasses fog when I go outside and my DD's metal walker actually has water condensing into droplets from the time I get from the front door to the car. It is freaking unbelievable.:(

My hair is soft, not dry at all but has turned into a frizzy nightmare. I seriously look like I stuck my finger in a light socket. My hair gets scary during high humidity. Maybe it is better for straight hair, I don't know. It is an interesting comparison.:hmm:

When I went to Vegas I found that the dry heat sucked all the moisture out of my hair so I guess it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. It is either too frizzy or drier than dirt.

I like my heat with some humidity but not too much, then my hair is the happiest.

oktobergoud
July 22nd, 2011, 09:15 AM
Will you hate me a lot if I tell you that, here in western Colorado, we are having what is probably the coolest July we've had in years? If it makes you feel better, we have also been having a lot of rain, and the humidity has been ridicules!

Same here in the Netherlands! Very cool, but also TONS of rain and ugh humidity is a b*tch!

Jenn of Pence
July 22nd, 2011, 10:03 AM

It has indeed been ridiculously humid ("humid" ;)) in Boulder this summer. However, I'm visiting family in the south this week, and it's certainly worse. Horrible humidity and 105 yesterday. I'm ready to get back to the mountains, but I can deal with it for now, I guess.

My hair has been surprisingly cooperative through the heat and humidity. Maybe now that I actually am caring for it and keeping it healthy, it's pretty stable regardless of the environment. Not that it's perfect, of course. You should have seen it when I was on vacation in the Caribbean earlier this year; one total frizzball, probably because I had to wash it nearly every day since I was swimming. ;)

NativeGirl
July 22nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
Here in Oklahoma, low humidity (34&#37;) - and hot! We haven't had rain in so long...we're in a state issued burn ban. We've been in a heat advisory for weeks, being that it hits at least 100 degrees every day, with the heat index about 108-115. I've had to go back to cones (Suave Professionals Humectant Moisture Conditioner) just to make my hair more manageable. It's just not diggin' this heat.

cocolady
July 22nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/temppic/wtempusa.htm

wow this sucks :\ We had a heat wave last week here in Europe but it got better now. I hope the heat wave in USA goes away soon, hang in there :)

Tabihito
July 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/temppic/wtempusa.htm

wow this sucks :\ We had a heat wave last week here in Europe but it got better now. I hope the heat wave in USA goes away soon, hang in there :)

Loving the out of the blue 80s along the Gulf Coast (we've had 98 or above since mid-May). I walked outside after work and nearly went into shock. The bike ride home was actually somewhat pleasant. :cheese:

TheCaityCat
July 22nd, 2011, 06:24 PM

My hair was like that during the summer I lived in Arkansas! It was wavy, but it was very shiny and had fewer tangles than I'd ever experienced before (well, at least with long hair). My hair doesn't mind the humidity at all. It was the dry heat of eastern Washington/Idaho summers that my hair didn't like!