PDA

View Full Version : long term indigo heads check in

Tai Shan Fan
June 25th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Do you regularly use indigo as part of a henna/indigo mix or as a 2 step process to get black (as I do)?

If so check in. I'm particularly interested in hearing from long term (>1 year) users. Also if anyone uses a 2 step process to get a shade other than black, then please check in and describe what you do.

Any tips, advice or comments useful to the community?

My goal is to keep cutting down processing time, as the 2 step process is a faff. Currently stage one (henna +water with a splash of acv) takes about 1 hour, although I've noticed I get better grey coverage if I stretch this to an hour and 15/20mins. The indigo stage I leave on for about 30-45mins. This seems to be a threashold time period on my hair and the difference between 30mins and 45mins is the difference between dark brown/black and true raven black. I think this is due to the greys that take longer to colour.

I've also noticed from personal experience that where you live also affects indigo (probably due to different water and possibly temperatures)

It's nice to be back :cool:

iris
June 25th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I don't use indigo (or henna) anymore, but I used to use indigo to tone down the bright henna orange I'd get on my naturally light blonde temple hairs.

What I'd do was henna all over (2-8 hours), and immediately after rinsing out the henna, I'd mix up some indigo, quite wet, with warm tap water, apply it to the blonde streaks only, leave it in for 15-20 minutes, and rinse out (usually with cold water because it was only a small portion of my hair anyway).

The results of this process were very unpredictable. It would come out still bright orange sometimes, or light brown, or very dark gray. I did it for years, always exactly the same way, with the same indigo (I only needed a little bit so a box would last me ages), and it wouldn't come out the same way twice.

What would be the same every time though, is that the indigo would wash out for me quite quickly. Most of it would be gone two-three days later (I wash my hair every day), and pretty much all of it would be gone within a week.

Except for one time, when it came out very dark and stayed dark for ages. I don't know what was different that day except maybe that it was a very hot day.

I used to use a cheap, low-quality indigo, which has some henna mixed in already - henné color, not the 'ebony black' shade (which has PPD) but the 'regular' black version - it's just indigo with about 3% henna in it.

The inconsistency of the indigo results would drive me batty. The henna would always come out more or less the same, but the indigo - ugh, all over the place.

Iris

froglet
June 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Checking in! :D

I've used hendigo for a long time, it's been a few years I think, but I have had a few stints where I tried to go off of it.

I use the 1 step process, I don't think I'd have the patience to have to do them seperately. I usually use 1 part henna to 2 parts indigo, I mix the henna the night before and the indigo right before I'm going to put it on my head. I mix the two together, I leave it on about 4 hours, than rinse and CO.

I get a deep brown, almost black that stays dark for about 2 1/2 weeks and then starts to lighten slightly to a dark red-brown shade. I get a very dark color.

Here it is yesterday, my last hendigo was 6 days ago. This last time my ratios were off, I probably did 1:1 henna to indigo, so my temples went red. They don't usually do that. :p

I was taking the picture for something else, sorry I don't have a back of the head picture, but there should be one popping up on the community meets board (Finally Florida) soon.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/Belusia/haircolor.jpg

mellie
June 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I have been henndigo-ing for over a year now. I use Rainbow henna, which is premixed henna and indigo (it doesn't say it contains indigo but we have come to the conclusion that most likely it does). I use the Dark Brown and it is very dark, almost black, especially over multiple uses. I don't wait for dye release, just use it immediately and leave on just a little more than one hour. I am covering grays as well and this works just fine.

You can see how dark it gets here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=423&pictureid=10818

Juliet's Silk
June 25th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Uhm, do I count if my last indihenna was in February... last year? :lol:
I tried to match my (sun bleached) length to the roots and I experimented with indigo and henna and experienced quite a lot of fading until I found the right routine for me... I would indigo and then henna afterwards. I did that twice (I think?) and haven't needed to redo it since then.
I never aimed for black, though, just a chocolate brown.

Queenie
June 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Pure indigo - no henna involved. My hair is some sort of brown with a red hue to it, so no need to henna first. Seems pretty easy, still I have some baaaad brown roots going on! My length stays black.
The thing I love most about indigo is that it's such a natural black, as opposed to the harsh chemical black that would make me look like a zombie.

ETA: have been using it more or less consistently for... don't know... 4 years?

Tai Shan Fan
June 26th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Thank you for your replies so far :) keep 'em coming.

Iris - I know what you mean about indigo compared to henna. Henna is 100x easier to work with than indigo. Fortunately mine does at least stick around, although it does fade quite a bit until it's had 2 applications.

Froglet - wow, you get a super colour for your efforts :) I go with the 2 step process, as in my mini-experiments I did ages ago with 1-step processing I was never happy with my grey coverage. With my natural brown/black hair - no problem, but I'm much happier with the 2 step process for avoiding reddish hues on the greys.

Mellie - I haven't heard of Rainbow henna before, but it's great you've got such a good colour with something that is probably less hastle than a 2 step process :rockerdud

Juliet's silk - I remember your unique indigo henna method! Will you restart it again after the summer? or are you done with this muddy stuff?

Queenie - wow you can get away with pure indigo, that's great! I think I've got too much grey to get away with that, unfortunately. It's so nice to hear from people who've been doing this a long while though. So many people try this sort of thing briefly and boards are often alive with newbies trying things out, but once in a while it's great to hear from those who have stuck with a method a long time and to hear their point of view.

Something I didn't mention before was that over time I've not only reduced my processing time, but also the amount of henna and indigo I use with each application (50g henna. 75g indigo). This does affect the final colour and those aiming for the darkest possible black need to keep this in mind. I guess my colour is more natural black looking these days and like my pre-greying natural colour. I know in a class I took recently they had a does she/doesn't she type discussion about whether I dyed my hair. If I'd used a ppd based dye to replicate my natural colour it would have looked too intense and very obviously dyed.

I mention all this, as if your natural colour is very dark brown or black and you start to go grey and you're not ok with that, it's hard to find a colour that works. Commercial black or dark brown dyes can look harsh on a not-so-young, very pale skintone like mine (although I have to say that this seems to vary from individual to individual and I know of elderly people with commercially dyed black hair who look super), yet other colours require a lot of processing to lift your still pigmented hair, which most hairdressers I've come across aren't happy to do with hair as fine as mine.

Sooo there are many positives to outway the fuss of working with indigo. So :cheese: for indigo!

froglet
June 26th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Froglet - wow, you get a super colour for your efforts :) I go with the 2 step process, as in my mini-experiments I did ages ago with 1-step processing I was never happy with my grey coverage. With my natural brown/black hair - no problem, but I'm much happier with the 2 step process for avoiding reddish hues on the greys.

Yeah, the grays can be a pain, I'm about 15% gray now, and at the roots my grays are a bright, shiny, dark-cherry red but once you get down into the length they are totally covered. It takes about 2-3 coatings before they match the rest of my hair.

I've kind of grown used to the effect and even like it, but it used to get on my nerves. I'm just soooo lazy, I'd never keep up with a 2 step process.
Shoot, I already drag my heels when it's time to hendigo... :lol:

Queenie- I'm just jealous. And curious... Do you have any gray hair? What, if anything, does the straight indigo do to them?

honeybunch
June 26th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Pure indigo - no henna involved. My hair is some sort of brown with a red hue to it, so no need to henna first. Seems pretty easy, still I have some baaaad brown roots going on! My length stays black.
The thing I love most about indigo is that it's such a natural black, as opposed to the harsh chemical black that would make me look like a zombie.

ETA: have been using it more or less consistently for... don't know... 4 years?

Wow you use only indigo? I guess it may work for me as well to since my hair is already dark. Do you think so? My ends are getting a brownish tinge, and I want to darken them.

Chromis
June 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I am a two-stepper, though a fairly lazy one. It takes so long and is so messy that I go for months in between...until my scalp gets itchy again. Henna is the only thing that seems to cure my poor scalp and I use indigo afterwards since I'm not a good colouring for red hair. I use cloves, nutmeg, and rosemary in my henna mix to help darken it and add shine and leave it on for 3-4 hours, then I rinse out and apply indigo for one hour. If using shorter processing times is working for other folks, I'd looooove to overhaul this though! I can't sleep with the henna on and my neck gets really stiff from all the weight. Can't wear my glasses either, so I can't do very much to pass the time and I land up squinting at movies.

In fact I need to do another round shortly. Just have to buy some conditioner to rinse everything out with. Shampoo bars have worked so well for me that I haven't bought anything else after moving!

physicschick
June 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I use a 50/50 henna/indigo mix which I leave on for 3 hours. I do roots only. I've been doing this for 1.5 years now. The indigo mostly fades off, but some of my white hairs remain more auburn than day-glo orange, so I think there might be a few traces of indigo sticking around. (Then again, other whites are distinctly orange. :shrug: ) However, sometimes I don't think the indigo takes at all to begin with. I haven't figured out what determines how well the indigo works.

Juliet's Silk
June 27th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Juliet's silk - I remember your unique indigo henna method! Will you restart it again after the summer? or are you done with this muddy stuff?

I don't plan to, but it depends a bit on how the virgin hair reacts to the sun. I think that sometimes along the way I'll have to redo it because the virgin hair will most likely bleach the way it did before the indihenna.
I actually like playing with the mud, and I love how it makes my hair feel - but I've got a couple of silver hairs growing in and I don't want to color them, so that's why I hope that I'm not forced to indihenna again.

Bloodflower
June 27th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I've been using Indigo for three years now. I experimented a lot, but have found my method about two years ago:

I do an one-step-process. I use only indigo, mixed with two tablespoons of henna. I don't have to cover greys (yet), but my hair is fairly light. Medium to light brown I'd say. I always cover my roots fully and then use the rest of my mixture on the lengths. I leave it on for two to three hours.

You can see the result in my sig pic - deep black hair. The lengths don't fade anymore, no matter how long I go between dyes. The roots do fade after about three weeks.

honeybunch
June 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Bloodflower, that looks so pretty!

Bloodflower
June 28th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Thank you, honeybunch! :)

almudena
June 30th, 2008, 03:32 AM
I use henna-indigo to cover my greys and condition my hair in a two step process every 3 – 4 weeks. I’ve been using this method for almost a year now, and it works great. I use henna (about 1.5 – 2 hours) followed by indigo (30 – 40 min.) consistently on my roots. On my length is henna gloss followed by indigo (mixed with cassia or conditioner) gloss. After the second or third application, indigo stopped to fade. My hair is quite dark to begin with and my length is a bit redder than my canopy, but there is no demarcation line. And the covered whites on my length (even though it’s been months since I did my whole hair) don’t show at all.

From time to time, and when I’m tired of the whole process, I do a tiny application of chemical dye only where my white roots are showing.

I’d like to shorten the process, but the only way I’ve found to get a perfect result so far is with the two step process.

shellblue1
July 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
I've been using Indigo for three years now. I experimented a lot, but have found my method about two years ago:

I do an one-step-process. I use only indigo, mixed with two tablespoons of henna. I don't have to cover greys (yet), but my hair is fairly light. Medium to light brown I'd say. I always cover my roots fully and then use the rest of my mixture on the lengths. I leave it on for two to three hours.

You can see the result in my sig pic - deep black hair. The lengths don't fade anymore, no matter how long I go between dyes. The roots do fade after about three weeks.

Your hair looks great What type of henna and indigo do you use? Do you mix anything else into the mixture or do you just use the henna and indigo only mixed with water?

SweetPea88
July 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
I have naturally black hair but sometimes it gets a reddish/brown tint in the summer (mainly on the ends and sometimes on the top of my head). Would I be able to use straight indigo to help get my hair pure black?

Bloodflower
July 4th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Your hair looks great What type of henna and indigo do you use? Do you mix anything else into the mixture or do you just use the henna and indigo only mixed with water?

Thanks! I use whatever henna I have at home. It doesn't matter so much because I only use a small amount anyway.

The indigo I use is from "Sante" which I believe is a german brand. They only have organic products. I can't tell you exactly what is in their indigo mix, because they have several colors but the same ingredients list on every box. I know there is hydrolyzed wheat protein and algin in every color to condition and make the mix more creamy. There may be some coffee or walnut shell in the mix also, but the indigo looks pretty much pure to me.

I use only hot (not boiling!) water for my mixture.

Bloodflower
July 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I have naturally black hair but sometimes it gets a reddish/brown tint in the summer (mainly on the ends and sometimes on the top of my head). Would I be able to use straight indigo to help get my hair pure black?

Yes, you could definitely use straight indigo on your hair! Your black hair might get a blue tint and the brown will become black. Just be aware that it doesn't have the same conditioning effects as henna so you might have to pamper your hair a bit afterwards.

SweetPea88
July 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks Bloodflower!

Using straight indigo seems like it would be so much easier, but do you think I could get away with a one-step henna/indigo process, just to have the conditioning properties of henna? I'm just wondering how long the indigo would last until I notice some fading. So much to learn about all of this!

Bloodflower
July 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
If you want to do a one-step process with henna and indigo and get black hair at the same time it becomes diffcult. The more henna you put into the mix, the more it will turn into brown / reddish brown. It probably won't affect your black hair, but your reddish highlights might stay. This is why I only use two tablespoons of henna in my mix.

I think you could safely do some testing because you have a good color to start with. Unlike people with lighter hair yours won't turn green from indigo or orange from henna. :)

SweetPea88
July 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Okay, that makes sense! The permanency of henna is sort of what worries me. I think maybe I can play with a cassia/indigo mix. Do you have any suggestions for proportions? Sorry for all of the questions! :)

Bloodflower
July 4th, 2008, 01:36 PM
You're welcome! :flower: I've never used cassia so I don't have any suggestions concerning a cassia / indigo mix. But cassia is colorless, so it's quantity in the mixture shouldn't affect the indigo. Maybe someone who has done this before could chime in?

shellblue1
July 4th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks! I use whatever henna I have at home. It doesn't matter so much because I only use a small amount anyway.

The indigo I use is from "Sante" which I believe is a german brand. They only have organic products. I can't tell you exactly what is in their indigo mix, because they have several colors but the same ingredients list on every box. I know there is hydrolyzed wheat protein and algin in every color to condition and make the mix more creamy. There may be some coffee or walnut shell in the mix also, but the indigo looks pretty much pure to me.

I use only hot (not boiling!) water for my mixture.

Thanks! I'll try to search for some of this. I tried a henndigo yesterday and it maybe *slightly* darkened the shade of my light-medium brown roots, but really didn't do much. Of course the henndigo was premixed. I'll have to find some of the Sante to mix with baq henna.

shellblue1
July 4th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Oh yeah, one more thing. You use 2 tbs. of henna to how much indigo?

Bloodflower
July 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Sorry, I totally forgot to write how much indigo I use! I use one and a half package of Sante indigo. One package is 100 g or 3.5 oz according to the box.

shellblue1
July 4th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Sorry, I totally forgot to write how much indigo I use! I use one and a half package of Sante indigo. One package is 100 g or 3.5 oz according to the box.

Thanks! :)

SweetPea88
July 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks again! I think I'm definitely going to start collecting hairs to do some test mixes!

Girltron
July 5th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I two-step, but I use the Indigo first and the henna second so I stay very dark brown instead of absolute black. I use cassia in the upper layers mixed with the henna, to simulate the more golden colors that happen with sun exposure on my natural haircolor.

Here's a link to the color when it's flaming:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_powell2112/2290342424/in/set-72157603985700962/

I'm wearing black, so it's easy to see the difference.

Here, although it's not a very clear picture of the hair, you can see it in indoor lighting. Looks black:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_powell2112/2635514507/in/set-72157605974493563/

RavennaNight
July 5th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hi folks! I'm a current chemical black hair dyer seriously considering switching over to henna + indigo 2 step process. My hair is very black, but naturally blonde. I like what I've been reading about the conditioning effects of henna. So far as I understand, if I were to henna, my black lengths won't change color, just the roots. So here's my question:

Would I have to indigo my whole head after henna or can I just do the roots? Is this impractical and a pain in the butt since I've read Indigo isnt easy to apply?

Girltron
July 6th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I'd say the first couple of times you'll want to 2-step your whole head, otherwise you'll have a line of demarcation where the dye stops and the henna/indigo starts.
It's not a pain to indigo the whole head. I actually think it's harder to just get the roots, and if I was doing jet black I'd indigo full head each time. At any rate, the best thing to make Indigo easier to apply is to remember to mix it quite liquidy-much more so than the henna-and add a sugar to it to help it slip. If you use honey, make sure you microwave it first to kill the peroxide.

RavennaNight
July 6th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I'd say the first couple of times you'll want to 2-step your whole head, otherwise you'll have a line of demarcation where the dye stops and the henna/indigo starts.
It's not a pain to indigo the whole head. I actually think it's harder to just get the roots, and if I was doing jet black I'd indigo full head each time. At any rate, the best thing to make Indigo easier to apply is to remember to mix it quite liquidy-much more so than the henna-and add a sugar to it to help it slip. If you use honey, make sure you microwave it first to kill the peroxide.

Thanks for the info! I'm excited to try it but know I have to wait like 3 weeks because I just dyed a week and a half ago. As for honey.... Im gonna stay far away from that one for a while. I tried honey a few times in SMT, until once, maybe too muchhoney, didn't nuke, wanted to see if it actully lightens, just to experiment, gooooooooey mess that resulted in the use of LOTS of shampoo and fear of wether it would EVER wash out. Yuck. (shudders)
back to topic, do you think these 2 step processes will require me to invest in DRANO? :pI've heard the stuff is thick! And how much sugar?

Girltron
July 8th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I like to mix my henna and indigo thin, like pancake batter for the henna and like whipping cream for the indigo. I don't really measure anything, but I'm thinking a couple of tablespoons of plain sugar or molasses per 100g of indigo. Honey works fine in this concentration too, but you said you weren't going to use it. I also add some salt to the indigo, again without measuring.

I haven't had any trouble with the drains, but in summer I like to rinse outside with the hose for ease of cleanup. Also it's a lot faster.

laurachiplock
July 9th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I have been indigo-ing for 2 years & have tried it every which way. Unfortunately, the 2 step process always comes out best for me. Its such a pain, but it really gives a beautiful black color

I have used straight indigo as well & I felt the color was smarmy & not very rich. Didnt last either.

The indigo/henna mix just doesnt get me dark enough, no matter how little henna I use.

I believe the 2 step process works best because the henna supposedly gives the indigo something to adhere to.

I apply henna for an hour, maybe 2 depending on my patience level. Then the indigo mixed with warm water & salt for at least an hour. Longer if I can stand all the runny green dripping all over me....

Indigo just gives the most beautiful long lasting color ever, I love it & get many compliments on my hair color!

Elettaria
July 9th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Another reason to do a full head application the first time is that you may not get the same shade of black with henna and indigo that you did with chemical dye, so this will even out any differences. You should be aware that indigo doesn't always stick to the hair as well as henna does, though I believe it sticks better when done as a two-step process. A few people find that whatever they do, the indigo washes out.

I'm not sure what would be best for upkeep once the initial application has been done. I've only ever used indigo as part of a henna/indigo gloss, so I don't know how it works in this respect, but is root applications plus glossing an option when using henna and indigo to dye to black?

Tai Shan Fan
July 10th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I use henna-indigo to cover my greys and condition my hair in a two step process every 3 – 4 weeks. I’ve been using this method for almost a year now, and it works great. I use henna (about 1.5 – 2 hours) followed by indigo (30 – 40 min.) consistently on my roots. On my length is henna gloss followed by indigo (mixed with cassia or conditioner) gloss. After the second or third application, indigo stopped to fade. My hair is quite dark to begin with and my length is a bit redder than my canopy, but there is no demarcation line. And the covered whites on my length (even though it’s been months since I did my whole hair) don’t show at all.

From time to time, and when I’m tired of the whole process, I do a tiny application of chemical dye only where my white roots are showing.

I’d like to shorten the process, but the only way I’ve found to get a perfect result so far is with the two step process.

I agree and with Laurachiplock's similar sentiments. The 2 step process is a faff, but for grey coverage in particular or for 'killing the red', nothing works so well.

Girltron: you get a lovely colour with your 1) indigo 2) henna process.

Thanks for the feedback :)