PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for driving - advice please?

PianoPlaye
July 21st, 2011, 01:45 PM
This goes to all who puts hours in behind the wheel: what do you do with your hair to keep it out of mischief?
I'm looking for a hairstyle or combination of style, scarf, hat whatever that will not only tame my halo (which goes rogue as soon as I open a window) but also hold the BSL-ish length stable.
I am unabashedly paranoid about anything solid where my head hits the headrest. Just scared that in a head on crunch, the hairclip/ barrette/ pin will get crushed into my skull or something equally daft.
To add one last boggle, the individual hairs are thin and fine - just the sort that repay careful gentle handling after a decade or two.
Suggestions, please?

Roseate
July 21st, 2011, 02:01 PM
I posted about this scarf/braid thing (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72757) I do a while back, seems like it might be a good choice for your needs. The scarf would keep your hair from blowing around in the wind, braid keeps your length together and doesn't interfere with the headrest.

PianoPlaye
July 21st, 2011, 02:15 PM
That I need to try! For sleeping in, too? Now that's seriously handy as I've not yet splurged on silk pillowcases yet!

Demetra
July 21st, 2011, 02:36 PM
I dangle mine over my shoulder AND over the seatbelt strap so that there is nothing for it to get caught under!

Jenn of Pence
July 21st, 2011, 07:24 PM
I do agree with braids. And something like a crown braid or hair taping gets it all the way up as well as off the nape of your neck. I agree, having something on the back of my head is annoying when driving if it hits the headrest and tilts my head forward. It messes up my posture. :)

Merewen
July 21st, 2011, 07:28 PM
I usually do double braids. Now that it's longer, I will probably tape the braids up, so it's REALLY out of the way.

I like the scarf-braid idea too. I hadn't thought of that.

PianoPlaye
July 22nd, 2011, 03:45 AM
Brillant! Where do I look for "taping" as I'm guessing you do not mean Scotch or 3M?!
I love this community - so much help and encouragement!

pepperminttea
July 22nd, 2011, 05:01 AM
Where do I look for "taping" as I'm guessing you do not mean Scotch or 3M?!

Torrin has a vid on hair taping here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME). :) Ribbons!

Jenn of Pence
July 22nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks for supplying the link, Pepperminttea! I got a little bit lazy there. ;)

Lemur_Catta
July 22nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
When I have to drive a lot I usually do a side braid. If it isn't a long journey, I just wear it down over my shoulder, and bun it when I get to my destination.

nantang
July 22nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
I have a suggestion!
I have to spend about 2-2.5 hours driving a day and since my car doesn't have air conditioning that means windows down all the way here in the south.

What I do is take a bandana, fold it once corner-to-corner so it looks like a triangle then position the middle of the long side of the triangle on my forehead and wrap the three points around and the sides / across the top so they meet at the back. Then you just gather all your hair into your hand like for a pony tail but you tie in the tips of the bandana WITH the pony tail (using an elastic band). That way you get the easy and comfortability of a pony tail but also the bandana holds all the hair on the top/sides of your head down so it's not blowing all around.

I found this useful because I still have a lot of baby hairs that don't get mixxed in with the longer ones and because the hair on my temples wouldn't quite reach the pony tail often.

If you need pics lemme know, I have some I just need to upload if you want.

nantang
July 22nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
oh also i wanted to add (I can't edit my posts yet apparently) that if you have a larger head like me, OR if you want to put the elastic band further down your neck (for comfortable head-resting); when you fold the bandana, don't make the opposite corners quite reach. It'll look like a squashed pentagon of sorts. This will give you more length on the top corner that goes across the top of your head.

PianoPlaye
July 24th, 2011, 05:00 AM
nantang that is a seriously canny idea & one that won't freak the livestock. My hair, my car but not my rules it seems. I trialled the silk band into braid (very comfortable, & I managed it despite being a cowardly klutz!) & there was a distinct range of comments that they did not want to be associated with me in public. (To sleep in fine, just in public... Ah well, one step at a time.)
I've worn bandannas before so this looks like a very stroppy-offspring-as-well-as-BSL-length-hair friendly solution! Thank you! :D

newbeginning
July 24th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I wear it in a high bun on the top of my head so it doesn't get in the way of the headrest or seat belt. A hairband would keep the front hairs (if any) out of the way if the windows were down.

darklyndsea
July 24th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I wear it in a high bun on the top of my head so it doesn't get in the way of the headrest or seat belt. A hairband would keep the front hairs (if any) out of the way if the windows were down.
How high do you wear your bun? On top of your head, or...?

ETA: Haha, I'm an idiot.

Kayla Nyx
July 24th, 2011, 07:02 PM
You could pull it into a low ponytail & braid it or just a simple english braid...? If it's any help. Lol. What I do is twist it n clip it up with a claw clip, which wont work for you. :/ its really quite comfy to me though..

PianoPlaye
July 29th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Ordinarily a basic braid does most of the job, and it's the halo hairs (which go nuts as soon as I crack open a window) that get me down. I tried nantang's bandana which pegged them a treat - OK the family made a bunch of kibbutz jokes but being able to see & drive without fuss was worth that!
newbeginning, I've not figured a bun that doesn't need pinning somewhere, and I am daft paranoid about accidents and metal around the head.
Kayla Nyx, I clawclip around the house, (especially partly dry hair) but driving in one would cause a load of anxiety (I stepped on one once - not good for claw or foot, or even driving for a week owowow...)

BlazingHeart
July 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM
For driving, (when my hair is long enough) I often braid and then loop the braid into an overhand knot at the base of my neck. It wouldn't deal with your halo-hairs, but it's a way of dealing with the majority of the hair without any hard bits.

I use a lot of the little snap barrettes because I figure they're flat and not going anywhere, you know?

PraiseCheeses
July 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM
What about this?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6749&pictureid=99211

Fold a large silk scarf (mine are 34") into triangle, make pony with one hand, then grab the scarf in the other hand and transfer ponytail into second hand. Your ponytail should be in a hanging tube of silk. Twist gently, wrap as normal cinnabun, and tuck in ends of the scarf behind the coils.

It's self-stabilizing - no ties, clips, pins, etc. If your hair is too long, it also works if you don't fold the scarf first. :)

Laurenji
July 29th, 2011, 06:19 PM
What about this?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6749&pictureid=99211

Fold a large silk scarf (mine are 34") into triangle, make pony with one hand, then grab the scarf in the other hand and transfer ponytail into second hand. Your ponytail should be in a hanging tube of silk. Twist gently, wrap as normal cinnabun, and tuck in ends of the scarf behind the coils.

It's self-stabilizing - no ties, clips, pins, etc. If your hair is too long, it also works if you don't fold the scarf first. :)

Oooo! I'm gonna have to try this. I don't know if we have any bandannas that are large enough...or silky enough. I've been wanting a silk bandana/scarf for a while now, but money's tight these days. I'll have to see if my MIL has any left over fabric scraps from something that I could use.

Choctaw
July 29th, 2011, 06:36 PM
my hair is shorter. I make a single braid and have a satin cap over the head rest on driver seat

PianoPlaye
July 31st, 2011, 02:11 PM
PraiseCheeses, that is just beautiful. As funds permit, I shall invest in silk scarves, for wearing to the office & to go with various dressier outfits...
Choctaw, a satin cap for the headrest is a brilliant lateral idea!

EdG
July 31st, 2011, 02:27 PM
I put my hair in my lap while driving. That keeps it out of trouble.

The only downside occurs at intersections: occasionally the driver in the next lane will fail to notice that the light had turned green. :bigeyes:
Ed