PDA

View Full Version : oh dear!! i think i have a very harsh sulphate in my shampoo

annieangel149
July 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM
im using some coney products atm because i felt my hair was crying out for some cones! I have been using the herbal essenses smooth and soft poo and condish and it has been feeling lovely and soft! however i have just discovered that it has ammonium laureth sulphate in it! thats a harsh sulphate isn't it? im a little nervous about using it as the soft feel it gives me could be disguising some damage occuring! i dont mind using cones but harsh sulphate? hmmm! :confused:

FluffSpider
July 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM
I've used bottles over bottles of HE long term relationship-also ALeS based. It WAS harsh, but I dilluted it as such: 1 p shampoo, 1 part coneless light condish 1 part water. It had all of the cleansing properties, didn't dry out, kept my scalp clear and my length shiny. Don't fix it if it isn't broken!
P.S.: ALS is harsher.(ammonium lauryl sulphate).

pepperminttea
July 21st, 2011, 02:07 PM
ALS is stronger than SLS, but less irritating. (Info here. (http://greenpeopleorganicskincare.blogspot.com/2010/01/als-vs-sls.html)) :)

To be honest, 'cones and sulphates go hand in hand. Using 'cones without sulphates is a recipe for build-up since gentler cleansers aren't strong enough to remove non-water soluble 'cones, though you could dilute the shampoo and only use it full strength to clarify (assuming the shampoo itself is 'cone-free).

Roseate
July 21st, 2011, 02:07 PM
I agree, if you're worried you could try diluting. Sulfates are so strong that you can get clean hair with just a few drops, so you can dilute it in a ton of water. Maybe do a full-strength wash every so often, since you are using cones. But also:

Don't fix it if it isn't broken!

Clarify and go conefree once in a while to asses your hair's condition, but sulfates work just fine for a lot of people. You may not have a problem at all!

annieangel149
July 21st, 2011, 02:44 PM
awww thanks guys! u have reassured me! my hair does have times when it likes going cone free for ahile and other times when it cries out for cones for a bit! i have no probs using sulphates and i know i need to use sulphates when using cones. i just paniced there for a minute! didnt really know that ALS was a harsh sulphate and whether that was bad! i have gone through 1 and a half bottles and my hair loves it but cones can disguise damage right? i will dilute it i think!! u guys r the best (((hugs)))