PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good shampoo!

DarkBeauty
July 21st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Well, i'm basically using a sulphate shampoo (pantene) which adds volume to my hair but dries it out (Then the ACV gets rid of some of the dryness). Then i have an organic one, without sulphate which just flattens my hair but keeps it moistured.

I'm basically looking for one that adds volume (Because i have fine but thick hair, so it can get weighed down easily) but also keeps in moisture (Because it's thick it's dry), organic or non organic.

I also tried CO method, but it feels abit weighed down, hardly much volume.

1. What is the best type of shampoo for my hair type? (Fine/normal hair strands) (Thick body of hair) (Dry - takes ages to get greasy, probably 1-2weeks)

2. What is 'cones' and are they useful to me? (Sorry i'm abit of a newbie to taking proper care of my hair :) )

3. Is there anything else i need to know about shampoo's and their uses?

Ann Marie
July 21st, 2011, 01:03 PM
You might be a perfect candidate for shampoo bars...Chagrin Valley has a great one Babbasoo and marshmallow...or something like that...But you might have to add a bit of apple cider to rinse...The Chamomile and citrus is also good....

I am using Yes to Carrots Normal to Dry Nourishing...It works pretty good...
I am not using Chemical dyes anymore(henna only) but have some slight damage on the ends...

I had a hard time with the poo bars only because I have hard water and it is hard to rise out...

If you are looking for No cones....a good cleanser.....non stripping and mildly moisturizing...try yes to Carrots! Yes to Cucumbers has one that is slightly more moisturizing...

I too am looking for a good shampoo!:D

Ann Marie
July 21st, 2011, 01:08 PM
Well, i'm basically using a sulphate shampoo (pantene) which adds volume to my hair but dries it out (Then the ACV gets rid of some of the dryness). Then i have an organic one, without sulphate which just flattens my hair but keeps it moistured.

I'm basically looking for one that adds volume (Because i have fine but thick hair, so it can get weighed down easily) but also keeps in moisture (Because it's thick it's dry), organic or non organic.

I also tried CO method, but it feels abit weighed down, hardly much volume.

1. What is the best type of shampoo for my hair type? (Fine/normal hair strands) (Thick body of hair) (Dry - takes ages to get greasy, probably 1-2weeks)

2. What is 'cones' and are they useful to me? (Sorry i'm abit of a newbie to taking proper care of my hair :) )

3. Is there anything else i need to know about shampoo's and their uses?

Did not see you question about cones...

Cones add sli. to the hair...de tangle....but on my hair..can get greasy after a while...I used to really lighten my hair (platinum) and cones were great..they kept my poor cuticle smooth...but since my hair is basically virgin now...only used demi color for a while and cut off all the damaged parts...so cones are too much for me now.

So in a nutshell..they are great for coarse...curly or damaged hair...

:)

DarkBeauty
July 21st, 2011, 01:08 PM
You might be a perfect candidate for shampoo bars...Chagrin Valley has a great one Babbasoo and marshmallow...or something like that...But you might have to add a bit of apple cider to rinse...The Chamomile and citrus is also good....

I am using Yes to Carrots Normal to Dry Nourishing...It works pretty good...
I am not using Chemical dyes anymore(henna only) but have some slight damage on the ends...

I had a hard time with the poo bars only because I have hard water and it is hard to rise out...

If you are looking for No cones....a good cleanser.....non stripping and mildly moisturizing...try yes to Carrots! Yes to Cucumbers has one that is slightly more moisturizing...

I too am looking for a good shampoo!:D

Thanks :D I also have hard water, so ACV helps. I've recently heard about clarifying shampoo's, do they help to volumize?

Jenn of Pence
July 21st, 2011, 07:40 PM
Hmm, a clarifying shampoo is going to strip buildup off your hair, so in that way it would remove the stuff weighing it down. But it isn't recommended for daily use, as it would dry it out very fast. Cones are notorious for building up, so if you choose to use them, you just need to monitor your hair to see if it's feeling a bit limp over the course of time, then clarify if needed. If you don't use cones, typically buildup will be slow or none.

For you, with fine hair, cones will theoretically weigh you down, BUT as always everyone's hair is different, and you will just have to experiment with that for yourself.

As far as a shampoo, I would recommend trying Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume Shampoo (http://www.tresemme.com/Products/Naturals/Naturals-Radiant-Volume-Shampoo/). It has sulfates, but slightly gentler ones. It also has no silicones, and if you wanted to try going without them, the corresponding conditioner might be good to try. I've tried the Moisturizing shampoo, not the volumizing one, but I liked it...clean, but not overbearing.

My usual recommendation, if you haven't tried it before, is always the Condition Wash Condition (CWC) method. You apply a really light conditioner to your ends (ears down) and then shampoo just the scalp area. Rinse both of those out, and then apply your final conditioner (usually something a bit thicker, just depends on your hair and preference). Let it soak in for a little while, like while you're doing your other shower stuff, then rinse out as usual. That protects the ends from dryness from shampoo and still gets the job done on the scalp where it gets flat.

My final suggestion is to see if your Pantene has any proteins in it (look for keywords like "silk" or "hydrolized;" I have a link to a webpage with a list, but unfortunately I'm not on that computer right now!). I finally realized that proteins were what caused my ends to be super dry, "velcroey," and otherwise just nasty. ;) This is another instance in which clarifying might help because it will remove protein buildup and let you see the state of your ends without those and cones. It may not be a problem for your hair, but your "protein tolerance" is something else you'll have to experiment with. It sure made a difference for me!

Anyways, hopefully you'll find something that works for you! It does take time to find a good routine, and you do have to stick with something for like a month or so to see how it holds up in the long run (like if you get build up or need to clarify, stuff like that). But if something doesn't work, you usually know right off. ;)