PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready to clairify for the first time-any tips?

Fencai
June 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I came across a brand new bottle of heat styling protector in my cupboard last night, and decided to take it back to the store and exhange it for something else, since heat styling is no longer a part of my routine- not to mention how I cannot stand the smell of the stuff.
Now, the actual exhanging part was not fun, and I do not appreciate being insulted by teenage retail workers who end up being wrong anyways! (Her manager, told her that I was right)

So anyways- I exhanged it for a bottle of the Ion clarifying shampoo.
I want to go to no cones, then eventually to CO and then ultimately to WO.
But, my question is this... I got the clarifying shampoo, now what?

Do I dillute the shampoo? Do I use it straight up, on my entire head? (scalp and length?). Ive never clairified before, ever.
should I do it a couple times?
what can I expect?
and then once its done can I go straight to CWC using no 'cones poo and conditioner?

Ive searched the threads and still have these q's, so I would appreciate the help!

Ursula
June 25th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I'd say use it full strength, from scalp to tips. Your goal, when clarifying, is to get down to "naked" hair.

At this point, I don't know (and you may not be sure) what exactly the total buildup on your hair is. So I'd go right for the full strength, knowing it will get the job done, and be less stressful than starting dilute and trying to work your way up.

After that, CWC would be a fine experiment. If you're not sure how you want to experiment, you might want to read the article I wrote "Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice" - I'd been giving similar advice for a while, and people found it useful, so I articled it to get it in one place.

rhosyn_du
June 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I expect there are as many different ways to clarify as there are to wash, but I'm happy to share what I do. I generally lather my whole head twice with full-strength clarifying shampoo (I use Suave Daily Clarifying), and then follow with a deep condition. Despite the deep conditioning, my hair stays poofy and frizzy for a few days afterward, and the one time I didn't deep condition after clarifying, I was a mess of tangles until my next wash. My hair needs a lot of moisture, though, so I don't know how typical my crazy post-clarifying dryness is.

As far as going no cones goes, yes, you should be able to go straight to CWC with no cone products after clarifying once.

mommy2one05
June 25th, 2008, 08:53 AM
After I clarify I experience very dry hair.
So I would recommend to follow up with a deep moisturizing treatment.

Fencai
June 25th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks Ladies!
I currently do CWC but my products have cones in them. I started doing that when I joined LHC- and now Im noticing that my hair feels greasy, so I want to start over, and clarify, then use No Cones, and once I get that I'll graduate up!

All of your tips and tricks and hearing about others experiences are a HUGE help!!!

Aisha25
November 26th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I had to bring this thread up again but I have to know if you can clarify with any sls product or it has to say for clarifying?

Boots
November 27th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I expect there are as many different ways to clarify as there are to wash, but I'm happy to share what I do. I generally lather my whole head twice with full-strength clarifying shampoo (I use Suave Daily Clarifying), and then follow with a deep condition. Despite the deep conditioning, my hair stays poofy and frizzy for a few days afterward, and the one time I didn't deep condition after clarifying, I was a mess of tangles until my next wash. My hair needs a lot of moisture, though, so I don't know how typical my crazy post-clarifying dryness is.

As far as going no cones goes, yes, you should be able to go straight to CWC with no cone products after clarifying once.

Mine is the same way, my hair hates shampoo! Clarifying once in a while is a necessary evil for me.
I deep condition after with a mix of shea or cocoa butter, a little oil, and conditioner. I heat it and CO it out later to figh the pouff.