PDA

View Full Version : How often do I trim my hair?

DRIFTINSUX
July 21st, 2011, 09:43 AM
I don't know if this thread was already created. But my hair is almost to my elbows. The first time I grew my hair out I would go for a trim every three months to take an inch off. But I felt like it just pro-longed the process of growing out. I am nervous to trim it on my own. I don't want it to look unhealthy. Can someone please help!!! :-) I just started using moracan oil.

Sundial
July 21st, 2011, 09:49 AM
Check out this link for instructions on how to do a self-trim http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/1827.html Don't be nervous about self-trimming, it just seems intimidating but it's not as difficult as it looks ;)

Your hair seems long enough for this method. As for the frequency of trimming, it really depends on you. Some people trim more often to get rid of damage or layers (myself included). Some who are actively growing their hair tend to trim less often. I suggest you measure your monthly growth and decide how much you want to trim from there.

Hope that helps!

MsBubbles
July 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM
I recommend first of all you check out the article about rehabilitating damaged hair, (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) by Nightshade. It has sensible guidelines to trimming.

Also, don't give up on Feye's Self Trim method yet if you haven't tried it. I notice you have straight hair too. I was also really dubious about it because any slight error will show up on straight hair. I thoroughly recommend you try that. I have been trimming my own hair for three years now. No more battles with the stylist or sitting there with my fingers crossed and palms sweaty that she has my hair and happiness in her hands. 9 times out of 10 they 'trim' too much off and then give me layers! shudder: This is not conducive to growing hair long.

I wouldn't trim your ends if they don't look split or unhealthy to you, though. But I have found the best compromise between growing and trimming is to trim half a cm each month. Myself. With a GREAT pair of hair scissors!

DRIFTINSUX
July 21st, 2011, 12:06 PM
Thank you I am going to look into this right now! I appreciate the encouragement.

Roscata
July 21st, 2011, 12:24 PM
My advice is to trim regularly if you have damage or you're growing out layers, previous dye/bleach etc. and to trim about half of the growth you get, if your growth is average you should grow about 1/2 an inch per month which means you could cut 1/4 of an inch per month or 1/2 an inch every two months.

However, if your hair is not damaged, and you follow the advice in the damaged hair article link above only trim if you feel you really need it. I personally trim about once every 8-9 months, but others trim once per year. If you want to trim regularly and maintain a neat hemline you could trim twice per year maybe one inch or 1/2 an inch at a time, this way you'd be gaining 4-5 inches in length per year (in stead of 6) and maintain a neat hemline. All the estimated growth is based on average growth, you would have to adjust those numbers to your own growth rate. I hope that helps! :D

jojo
July 22nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
I dont trim, I dust and I am talking - <--- this much every couple of months, this keeps away my split ends and makes a real difference. I don't really advocate trimming less than every 3 months because nearly always as some point, you will need to cut off more than you want. Some people do however get away with no trims at all. Again it depends what kind of hemline your after; fairy tailed or blunt. Blunt hemlines need trimming to keep the look, but if you want fairy tails just leave your hair to do its own thing.

There is always s&ding to help with split ends.

RitaCeleste
July 22nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
I've been growing out layers for forever. I did a big trim last time and I'm resisting trimming for awhile. I know there are still gaps from the last bad cut but they are 2 to 3 inches up. I guess it depends on what kind of hair you have. Some people do better with a little trimming than no trimming. But you won't know unless you try not trimming for a bit. As far as growth, I grow better without trimming. Every six months or once a year is okay for my hair.

monsterna
July 22nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
I dont trim, I dust and I am talking - <--- this much every couple of months, this keeps away my split ends and makes a real difference. I don't really advocate trimming less than every 3 months because nearly always as some point, you will need to cut off more than you want. Some people do however get away with no trims at all. Again it depends what kind of hemline your after; fairy tailed or blunt. Blunt hemlines need trimming to keep the look, but if you want fairy tails just leave your hair to do its own thing.

There is always s&ding to help with split ends.

Pretty much all of this. Hair grows on average a 1/2 inch per month. That's 6 inches per year. You said you cut off 1 inch per 3 months. That's 4 inches you've taken off in one year, leaving 2 inches in length gained. Unless you have some MAJOR damage, I see no reason at all to deprive yourself of that much length. I couldn't stand that.