PDA

View Full Version : I love shampoo and cones :)

boomygrrl
July 21st, 2011, 08:25 AM
I love shampoo...sulfate, non-sulfate. My hair and scalp feel so good when they are washed. My curls get a fresh start when they are washed and conditioned. I don't overdo the cones, as it can build up (although on my routine, not really). I love the shine and the anti-frizziness of my coned curls.

Yep, I'm a rebel. Love to wash my hair...sometimes EVERYDAY. I'll skip a day or two out of laziness...and although my hair looks okay...not as good as it does when it is fresh.

I love massaging my scalp with shampoo. I love rinsing the shampoo and conditioner out under the shower. Ahhhhh!

I don't use a lot of product...just leave-in conditioner (rarely hairspray if its very windy)...and my hair feels airy, fresh, and just starts my day with a happier mindset.

Strange, I know.

I tried CO washing and it was okay...I tried washing my hair less and although I think it can be helpful (so hair doesn't overdry)...my hair doesn't seem to mind the regular washing. My scalp LOVES the regular washing.

For every third washing, I like to use a sulfate shampoo...and my hair and scalp seem to love that best. However, since I have curly hair (in the past, it was prone to be dry), I try to be gentle and not sulfate wash it everytime.
I think my hair used to be very dry because I used to blowdry it and use curlers (to make my curls smoother). Now, a microfiber towel is all I need.

Who is with me? Who loves the feel of freshly washed hair/scalp? Who loves to shampoo at least 4-5 times a week...and more if you have the time?

I love shampoo and cones...there, I said it! :)

starlamelissa
July 21st, 2011, 08:36 AM
I use a low sulfate baby wash by aquaphor as shampoo, unscented cone free con dish left in, and when it's dry I do a pump of coney serum on my ends for slippy smoothness. Once a week I wash with unscented sulfate dandruff shampoo. The result? Perfect happy hair. I love my shampoo and cones.

FB
July 21st, 2011, 09:06 AM
Pretty sure I am right there with you. I wash my hair at least every three days and my hair loves the cones and sulfates. Is this bad?????

bunzfan
July 21st, 2011, 09:14 AM
I went cone free for a year thinking i was doing the best thing for my fine thick hair but it never seemed very soft or moisturised i recently had to have 2 inches cut due to dry horrible ends, then today i thought i would try Patene again and gliss conditioner and my hair feels so soft and its so shiny i can't stop combing it:D

I think i will still try to shampoo no more than once a week but the oils i was using were building up on my hair and my hair never felt as good as this.

starlamelissa
July 21st, 2011, 09:56 AM
Pretty sure I am right there with you. I wash my hair at least every three days and my hair loves the cones and sulfates. Is this bad?????
Omg look at your fabulous hair!!!!! Whatever you are doing, the rest of us should be doing. Care to share your routine?

Copasetic
July 21st, 2011, 10:00 AM
Good for you! Everyone should do what works best for their hair and not listen to "experts".

growingpains
July 21st, 2011, 10:23 AM
Nothing wrong with that! Cones are not bad! The only downside really is that they can prevent moisture from absorbing once they are on; but they also seal moisture in. Some people also don't like them as they can weigh some people's hair down or change the texture slightly; but again, others love that same thing. I personally am on a cone binge right now and loving it. I think for me, with currently damaged ends, I need cones. I also really prefer the way cones feel in my hair when it's wet in the shower.

Unlike you I wash every 3-4 days. I'm mostly lazy, but also my hair actually looks better a day or two after a wash.

Tuna
July 21st, 2011, 10:25 AM
Huh i feel you. I don't feel clean if i don't wash my hair every day. Even if it looks clean... i don't feel it. Could be some kind of ocd :D. When i wash my hair, almost every day... i shampoo it 2 or 3 times per wash.

FB
July 21st, 2011, 10:49 AM
Omg look at your fabulous hair!!!!! Whatever you are doing, the rest of us should be doing. Care to share your routine?

Geez I really wish I had a true hair care routine. I have been trying to develop one. All I do is wash my hair between three to four days. I use a variety of products like Bumble and Bumble, Panteen, Tresame, and Aveda. Then sometimes when I remember I put some oil on my ends. I am really blessed but keep thinking I could do more to have better hair. I am still a rookie at all of this.

LunaMoon
July 21st, 2011, 11:02 AM
I love cones. Already tried to be cone free twice. I don't understand why is so important that your hair has to absorb moisture from the air. Here is dry and there are little moisture in the air btw, and if cones prevent my hair for getting moisture in, prevent for getting it out as well. I do lots os moisturizing treatments on my washed hair, so no coneys there to prevent moisture to get in, after I seal all the good with cones! Also I love to Co-wash my hair every other day, and shampoo every week. :D

ladyfey
July 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM
I'm with you on the frequent washing, I wash every other day without fail. I love the scalp massage while shampooing and I love feeling all clean.

vanillabones
July 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM
I love shampoo and cones. My hair loves to be washed with sulphate shampoos but my only shampoo I'm using with sulphates now is to clarify because I am trying to be really gentle with it but I love sulphates so once I finish up some poo bottles I'll get one with sulphate :D
I also love cones and just can't go without them (never in my shampoo!) but in my conditioner and leave-in. Unless I CO which I do with no cones. Ah, confusing!

I try to wash every other day, the most I can go is every two with dry shampoo. Once in a great while if I'm very dirty I'll wash two days in a row. When my hair was longer I could go 3 or even 4.

boomygrrl
July 21st, 2011, 12:23 PM
Wow! Didn't think I would get this many responses.
It might be an OCD thing with me too...or I'm just extra sensitive...but I notice that if I shower but I do not wash my hair, my body still feels a little dirty...cleaner than not showering at all, but still...my back, face, chest area get oilier...my armpits don't feel as clean...even though I wash my back, face, chest, armpits...its odd...and my nether regions don't feel as clean either. Its really weird.
My scalp isn't unusually oily but does feel dirty when not washed...so I don't know what accounts for the rest of my body feeling dirty...is it psychological? is there a real reason behind that?
Either way...I love feeling fresh, nice, and clean from head to toe...and my curly hair is more boingy with the shampooing.

Mairéad
July 21st, 2011, 12:34 PM
Do what works for you!
I think the battery of suggestions of going sulfate and cone free are usually because many people come here with their current routine not working for them.

I had no idea why not a single shampoo and conditioner was working well with my hair and as soon as I started eliminating certain ingredients I found the culprits.

But, if it works for you, keep at it!

Rebecca.1905
July 21st, 2011, 12:40 PM
I was just thinking about this today! I love having freshly washed hair and I don't feel clean enough either if my hair hasn't been washed. I've tried cowashing a few times thinking that'd be gentler but it just doesn't do the job well enough for me, so I do wash - with shampoo - usually every other day. It just makes me happy and my hair's fine, so it's all good!

boomygrrl
July 21st, 2011, 01:28 PM
Oh I agree. I tried CO washing for a long time and stretching out my washes. I learned a lot when I was sulfate and cone free. I don't downplay other routines...I know there are benefits. I think I finally figured out that it wasn't sulfates or cones that were bad for my hair...it was the blowdrying, the hairbrushing, the curlers, the towel rubbing, lots of hairspray, putting lots of hair product on my hair, not understanding what clarifying meant, etc.
Just like people talk about the joys of conefree or sulfatefree hair care...I thought it would be good for people to unashamably talk about the joys of sulfates and cones.

Do what works for you!
I think the battery of suggestions of going sulfate and cone free are usually because many people come here with their current routine not working for them.

I had no idea why not a single shampoo and conditioner was working well with my hair and as soon as I started eliminating certain ingredients I found the culprits.

But, if it works for you, keep at it!

Slinks
July 21st, 2011, 03:18 PM
I :crush::heartbeat cones too :-)

Miss Maisie
July 21st, 2011, 03:26 PM
Count me in! Especially in the dead of summer - I feel so much cleaner (and cooler, for some reason) when I shampoo daily.

My hair loves cones, too. In general I have pretty happy, healthy hair, but I do plan on getting baby shampoo to keep it healthier as it grows.

slo2gro
July 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM
ME TOO count me in count me in lol

I do only wash every other day thou sometimes if i get super gross and sweaty with this nasty weather i may have to do a daily wash. I try not to wash daily. I do use coconut oil on my ends and as well as a deep conditioner over night sometimes. I like using both natural stuff and cones whatever feels good yanno... :)

But after a couple of days or so of no washing and hair starting to feel greasy nothing feels better than a nice scalp wash. For me anyhow. :)

Mesmerise
July 21st, 2011, 04:12 PM
Well, I was getting really annoyed with my frizzy hair. I know my hair isn't exactly straight, but nothing I do was getting rid of the frizz (mostly shorter hairs that go awry). Then I looked at some older pictures of my hair and it looked so much silkier. Why is that??

Well... I guess it's cause I was washing with Pantene, which I did for years :rolleyes:.

I did a couple of months of CO and my hair was so-so, but even that didn't eliminate the frizz.

So I experimented with some coney stuff while at my in laws' house, and guess what? My hair looked better!

Doing CO I also missed shamooing. Now, I've managed to cut back on my washing, to every third day or so. My roots and scalp always felt gross (to me) if I didn't wash daily! For mine to feel clean it always had to feel freshly washed clean.

So yeah, think I'm going back to the regular wash and condition and probably will experiment with various different conditioners and stuff to see what works best for me. BUT I'm not gonna avoid cones anymore! There are, after all, some things that are so much worse for your hair. I'm now not doing damaging stuff like straighteing and blow frying and chemical colouring. So cones should be okay!

lilravendark
July 21st, 2011, 04:18 PM
Im back on the pantene bandwagon lol Being cone free for afew years but I have to admit my hair loves the stuff leaves it feeling smooth and lookinh shiny again I still only wash it once a week. Too much negativity about cones so I thought they must have been doing bad things to my hair reading too much on lhc lol. I used to be WO but as I work outside lots of cement dust and brick dust from cutting bricks not to mention sand and mortar getting in my hair once in a while Ive come to the conclusion My hair needs a wash at least once a week with something more than water or it just looks dull and dusty eww. So yes coney shampoo and condish all way Ill never leave you again cones!

NotInPortland
July 21st, 2011, 04:24 PM
I love cones and no one will make me part with them :p Unfortunately my scalp seems to hate sulfates so I have to go for mild shampoos or just stick with conditioner. If I could though I'd use shampoo with sulfates all the time-I love the smells, the thick lather....it's just not he same using conditioner or milder shampoos :p

annieangel149
July 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM
ME TOO count me in count me in lol

I do only wash every other day thou sometimes if i get super gross and sweaty with this nasty weather i may have to do a daily wash. I try not to wash daily. I do use coconut oil on my ends and as well as a deep conditioner over night sometimes. I like using both natural stuff and cones whatever feels good yanno... :)

But after a couple of days or so of no washing and hair starting to feel greasy nothing feels better than a nice scalp wash. For me anyhow. :)

i usually wash every other day too but when im feelin' lazy i'll go an extra day without washing! i should have washed it today but i was poorly so i gave it a miss and my scalp is beginning to feel a little itchy and gross tonight! i will be giving my hair a nice sulphate /coney wash in the morning :D

slo2gro
July 21st, 2011, 06:13 PM
see problem for me too is that i aslo have psoriasis on my scalp and while its being controlled i do have to use nozoral shampoo about once a week or so just to keep things under control and an alcohol based lotion that i dab on and rub in. So i cant go complete free of chemicals unfortunately I do need them to a certain extent as well. The nizoral is easy on my hair its not nasty and I keep it on my scalp as much as I can.

whitestiletto
July 21st, 2011, 07:18 PM
I think I have to use a conditioner or leave-in with cones. I have a leave-in without cones and it makes my hair look very frizzy. I usually use the one with cones and it makes my hair silky and smooth.

I think if my length wasn't bleached and dyed, a cone-less product might work fine, but unfortunately I don't have that option right now.

Jenn of Pence
July 21st, 2011, 07:20 PM
I certainly love freshly washed hair, too. I use sulfates as well as cones, though I've been stretching washes a bit lately out of convenience and just because I can. I've reduced the cones just so I am not using them for every single shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in, but I certainly like to use them. All in all, I was 2-3 times a week, and it seems to be just fine. :)

boomtownrat
July 21st, 2011, 07:23 PM
I wash my hair daily, usually with sulfates, because if I don't my scalp reaches an unbearable level of itching. This is also good for keeping my hair (which is all silver) from yellowing or becoming dingy. As for cones, I only use them occasionally in a conditioner or smoothing serum.

bna_rapunzel
July 21st, 2011, 07:40 PM
:cheese: oh my goodness, finally! I wash my hair about every third day or so, and only the scalp while letting the suds run down my whole length, but I use the "no-no" stuff too, my hair and especially my scalp love me for it.. My hair is so healthy. I use serum after every shower, and I'm addicted to leave in conditioner. Any other method on my hair (and scalp) just don't work. I do occasional S&Ds... But my hair hardly has split ends because they drive me nuts and I destroy any the minute I find one! I love shampoo and conditioner.. Guilty! :)

Lianna
July 22nd, 2011, 12:29 AM
I'm definally there with you. I wash everyday with sulfates and cones. :) I tried CO/WO for some months, but my way makes my hair and scalp feel better and grow faster. Been doing it all my life, except those months. Even as a little girl (4yo) my mother told me I loved to bathe and wash hair. :D

kidari
July 22nd, 2011, 12:47 AM
Horray for this thread! Certain things just work for some people and not others. I find it strange how sulfate shampoos, coney conditioners, daily washings are so frowned upon like it's so evil to do to your hair. It gets a lot more of a bad reputation than WO or CO washing or anything similar. Anyhow, I love my shampoos and I wash daily and I love sulfates and I love cones. I even use a clarifying shampoo as often as once a week and my hair and scalp love it. I will try CO washings once in a while but I'm also thinking if it's ain't broke....

boomygrrl
July 22nd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Glad to see I'm not alone.
MMMmmm, my hair smells nice and fresh. :)

slo2gro
July 22nd, 2011, 01:48 PM
hahah I love that fresh smelling scent and feeling too woot

SoulOfTheSea
July 22nd, 2011, 02:18 PM
I love shampoo too :) I tried COing, but I hated the way my scalp felt afterwards, shampooing just wakes me up and makes my scalp feel amazing! (Especially Head and Shoulders Eucalyptus! <3)

dulce
July 22nd, 2011, 11:03 PM
Yep-1'm another one! CO washing only made my hair limp /flat and my scalp greasy.1 condition my ends,then wash my scalp daily with a moisture rich shampoo,then rinse,then recondition ends,then let air dry till 95 &#37; dry,then fluff out my tightly wound spirals with a cool blowdryer with a diffuser and my fingers for 2 minutes or so.I use Pantene products ,as for me nothing else works as well.Am really happy with my hair condition right now,this is what works for me.

janeytilllie
July 23rd, 2011, 12:56 AM
I love sulfates and cones :heartbeat My hair is alot more nicer with them. I have very fragile hair that breaks easily. Cones help protect and gives me the much need slip.

I'm also another fan of Head and Shoulders. I love the 2 in 1. It makes my scalp tingle,fresh and clean :)

TheCaityCat
July 23rd, 2011, 02:37 AM
I'm totally with you on washing hair every day. My scalp just feels gross and itchy (explain that one!) if I don't wash it every day and my hair becomes limp and super oily. I suppose if I went for a month without constantly washing it I'd feel better, but I don't have the inclination or patience.

oktobergoud
July 23rd, 2011, 05:42 AM
Same here! My hair starts to feel awful and dry at the 3rd day, but since it's supposed to be healthy I just try to stretch washes.. thinking about not doing that anymore :)
And it loves cones as well! Mmmm cones ;)

hibiscus
July 23rd, 2011, 06:34 AM
--------------------

hibiscus
July 23rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
-------------------

pittsburgpam
July 23rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
I also use sulfates and cones. I tried no cones and I really dislike how it makes my hair feel, I can't even run my hands through it when it's wet. After air drying, if I leave it loose, it is horrible. It feels dry and unmanageable. If I bun it when wet and let it dry it is marginally better.

I use almond oil when it's wet after cones and it's heavenly soft and silky. Pantene all the way!!

maborosi
July 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
My hair doesn't really seem to benefit from no-cone, but it doesn't hate it, either. I just noticed my hair was a bit harder to manage without cones. (I think I ended up doing it for about a month and a half)

Just went back today- wooot. I missed that shiny, silky, slippy feeling :D

~maborosi~