PDA

View Full Version : since my hair has been shedding some cuz of surgery...

TealDolphin
July 20th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I recently had surgery (2 or 3 months ago) and have had hair issues with shedding...I also read that after surgery sometimes hair will go into a resting period, which means it will stop growing...I'm not happy :( I'm trying to grow my hair, and I hope it's not still in the resting period. Sorry, just venting.

Cowgirl16
July 21st, 2011, 12:31 AM
I was in the hospital for 10 days in march. I'm in my 12th week of a shed:( I'm not happy at all, I've lost almost HALF of my hair. Good luck!

TealDolphin
July 21st, 2011, 01:12 AM
I was in the hospital for 10 days in march. I'm in my 12th week of a shed:( I'm not happy at all, I've lost almost HALF of my hair. Good luck!
Thanks! Good luck to you too :)

Is there anyone here who has shed after surgery, but didn't lose a lot of hair? Right now my hair still looks normal (you can't tell I'm shedding any) but I'm afraid I'll lose the thickness or something.

Dina L.
July 21st, 2011, 01:14 AM
I'm sorry for you, girls! I guess it's because of the stress + the drugs' side effect... Do you take any vitamins etc to help your organism to recover sooner from the shocking event (physically/mentally) you've been through?

Seishin
July 22nd, 2011, 03:19 AM
I had an extremely stressful period of 3 weeks at the end of march and I counted 200 hairs after my shower the other day. I was curious:( It reminded me of my hair loss after having children and I remembered at that time thinking I was gonna go bald. But my hair did recover. i remain hopeful now too. I'm in the same boat, and it is hard when people say don't stress about it, because your the one who is caught up in it. I'm taking Biotin at the moment and switched to CO washing and making a real conscious effort to eat well and get plenty of sleep, in the hope of providing the best environment for new hair to grow in. CO washing and no straightners mean that I'm having to learn how to care for my 3c curly hair, which takes my mind off the shedding thing for a while.

Alvrodul
July 22nd, 2011, 03:57 AM
I had surgery in the beginning of June, and I may have been shedding slightly more than usual, but not a huge amount. I haven't noticed my hair growing slower, either.
I hope your hair will go back to normal soon! :flower:

Jezerellica
July 22nd, 2011, 04:30 AM
It is sad to see ones hair coming out in droves. I am using meds that cause hair loss. It is super annoying. Hope you heal quickly and your hair is back to normal soon!!

Leoneska
July 22nd, 2011, 04:46 AM
I shed quite a lot in general. Try to keep it under control with rich food and supplements. Long and lush castor oil massages the night before you wash your hair can also help a lot. All the best to you!

TealDolphin
August 16th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Ahhh someone just told me my hair looks thinner I hope it's not permentmant

ravenreed
August 16th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I lost a ton of hair after my surgery several months ago. The good news is it is all growing back. The bad news is it is five inches long and really noticeable against the rest of my longer hair.

BlazingHeart
August 16th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Agh, I'm afraid I've started losing hair on my new med. I'm really pissed off, because I've had to come off of 3 other meds in this catagory because I've had bad side effects, so even if I lose a lot of hair, my doc won't want to pull me off of it. Bleh. I hope it's just stress (I HAVE had a lot of stress lately, so it's possible).

The only thing I can offer to help slow the shed is that caffeine is supposed to help you retain hairs that are dormant, so that might help here?

~Kali

Cowgirl16
August 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Ahhh someone just told me my hair looks thinner I hope it's not permentmant

I have a bunch of new hairs! I don't think our sheds are permanent; it's just going to take a while for our thickness to recover. My hair is noticeable thinner :( But I have been drinking Roobios and I gained an inch a month for the last 2 months:D. Hang in there:)

Mayflower
August 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM
A couple of years ago I went under surgery (a major one) and had to recover for a couple of months.
But I don't recal major shedding, even though I was on a large dose of morfine.
Looking at pictures of that time, my hair does look a bit thin but that could be because I neglected it for a while and hadn't much appetite, which resulted in a deficiency of vitamins and such. I hope your shedding stops quickly!:)

swearnsue
August 17th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Agh, I'm afraid I've started losing hair on my new med. I'm really pissed off, because I've had to come off of 3 other meds in this catagory because I've had bad side effects, so even if I lose a lot of hair, my doc won't want to pull me off of it. Bleh. I hope it's just stress (I HAVE had a lot of stress lately, so it's possible).

The only thing I can offer to help slow the shed is that caffeine is supposed to help you retain hairs that are dormant, so that might help here?

~Kali

I haven't heard about caffeine helping to retain hairs. Don't laugh, but is that drinking something with caffeine or applying to the hair? If consuming caffeine is the method, I'm thinking chocolate! In large doses.

BlazingHeart
August 17th, 2011, 10:36 PM
There was a study in germany of a caffeinated shampoo - you apply it to the scalp. People here use tea or coffee; if you have pale hair, use green tea to avoid getting your hair stained darker (unless of course that's what you want).