PDA

View Full Version : Tie Died hair?

julliams
July 20th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I got an email from a local hairdresser talking about "tie died hair" as a new technique. I was interested so I looked it up. At first I thought it was something that I'd seen quite frequently here at LHC and then I realised that the strand is multicoloured. Kind of cool but not sure how long a trend it will last.

http://thebeautydepartment.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/TBDlaurenhaircolorpinkblue.jpg

http://thelook.today.com/_news/2011/07/11/7060298-tie-dyed-hair-retro-fab-or-bad

Editing to add a better link to that image http://thebeautydepartment.com/2011/07/on-that-note-5/ and how to do it http://thebeautydepartment.com/2011/07/tipped-out/

vanity_acefake
July 20th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Love it, love it, want it!
Shame my hair is so dark.
:)

aaperez
July 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I like the pic you see right away on the link but the one of Nicki Minaj I did not like at all

vanity_acefake
July 20th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I like the pic you see right away on the link but the one of Nicki Minaj I did not like at all

I agree totally. The subtle one is gorgeous. The striped one not so.

julliams
July 20th, 2011, 09:17 PM
ooo yeah - just clicked on that link - don't like that one as much. I quite like the one that comes up immediately on the link I provided. It's the same image that was emailed to me by the hairdresser. I've just edited the first post as I found some better links.

Kathie
July 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
It would be something I would of totally tried when I was in my teens/early 20s. It would look a little strange on me now.

Yozhik
July 20th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I think it looks neat (especially the gradations of color), and a lot less damaging than other bleach since it's on the ends which will presumably be snipped off at some point in the future anyway.

I wouldn't have this look myself, though, but maybe that's because my hair is really dark and I don't think it would look as good, and it would sure be a lot more damage.

Animae
July 20th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I like it! I would love to try it!

QueenJoey
July 20th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I love it! I'd like to do something like that on just the tips.

I've been dying to do something cool to my hair. I've never done anything cool, like neon colors, or dreadlocks, or shaved sides. I want to do this!

Thanks for sharing!

TheMechaGinger
July 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
That's awesome! I used to dye the ends of my hair blue and pink a few years ago

bigred199
July 20th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I saw a girl, maybe 11 or 12, with hair like this when I was at the mall yesterday. It looked pretty cool. She said her mom told her she has to get rid of it before school starts again in September, lol.

Joliebaby
July 20th, 2011, 11:31 PM
It looks pretty and fun :)

free_hug
July 21st, 2011, 12:12 AM
I think Quixii did similar stuff back in the days.

Of course if you have natural blond hair, you can play around with colors as much as you like (if you are young enough...). The pic that comes right up in the link is beautiful, I think, and this style is definitely worth a try to said young blond people. Yes, I totally would try.

Nicki Minaj's scalp probably have not seen natural hair in years, so her wig being ugly may just be the natural state of things.

pink.sara
July 21st, 2011, 01:03 AM
Pretty. (Nicky Minaj's wig is pretty poorly done though.)
I'm currently henna red with a pink and purple streak so I guess I'm nearly there!

KittyLost
July 21st, 2011, 01:34 AM
I like this, it's along the same lines of ombre and dip/dye. If my hair was long enough I would do this.

newbeginning
July 21st, 2011, 05:14 AM
I think it looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Aerin
July 21st, 2011, 06:34 AM
That looks incredibly cool. But yeah, not for me (dark auburn). But if I was blonde....

pepperminttea
July 21st, 2011, 06:53 AM
I love how this looks on the long blonde hair - when I'm rocking some silvers, I'll have to look this up! :)

chahuahuas
July 21st, 2011, 07:27 AM
Did you guys see the tutorial (http://thebeautydepartment.com/2011/07/tipped-out/)? I think they make it pretty easy to duplicate her look.

http://thebeautydepartment.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/TBDtiedyehowto.jpg

ETA: oops, I see julliams just added the link to this :?

wvgemini
July 21st, 2011, 07:44 AM
I would totally do this if it wouldn't get me in tons of trouble at work, lol! I think it looks neat :)

vanillabones
July 21st, 2011, 07:51 AM
It's so pretty I love it. I would definitely do it (if I wasn't so cautious with my precious hair now) It's lovely and especially since it's just the tips so it wouldn't be such a nightmare to trim out :)

scorpio_rising
July 21st, 2011, 07:57 AM
I think it's awesome! Hmm, I might do this! ...and I have almost-black hair and am almost 41.

October
July 21st, 2011, 08:08 AM
That is really cool. If my hair were really long and at goal length already , I'd totally go bleach the ends right now and do that. But, my hair is only a few inches past shoulder. Ah well.

chahuahuas
July 21st, 2011, 08:37 AM
I think it's awesome! Hmm, I might do this! ...and I have almost-black hair and am almost 41.

Do it! If you needed to go to some professional event where you need to hide it, it would be easy! Just put your hair up in a french twist, or do a braid and tuck the end of the braid away, and bam! No more color :)

feralnature
December 28th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Reviving this thread.

I am doing this right now. Only one strand at the present. My test strand. It will be blonde, pink, then purple. :)

Amber_Maiden
December 28th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Looks like what people around here call the "mermaid look".

feralnature
December 28th, 2011, 04:14 PM

That makes me love it even more!

sazzie88
December 29th, 2011, 06:06 AM
The first picture is great! i love it! unfortunalty my hair is too short for that and as i am writin gthis i have some blonde dye on my hair trying to get the bright shade of ORANGE out! ahh I feel as though all my hard work is ruined!

mzBANGBANG
December 29th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I love it! But I think I'd rather just add some feather extensions, because I doubt I would love it for long.

LissaJane
December 29th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I saved it as a favorite on my computer for when my hair is long enough to do this :)

kaiakai
December 29th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I love it too.

slz
December 29th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Yeah I've seen this look - pictures here several times with different names to it.

I am doing this right now. Only one strand at the present. My test strand. It will be blonde, pink, then purple. :)
Can't wait to see the pics !