PDA

View Full Version : Collecting rain water as we for hair!

JellyBene
July 20th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I am collecting rainwater outside as we speak! I live in New Mexico so I don't get many chances for this and I am super excited! :cheese: I am getting the most water from the drainage thing off my roof, but the water is a little brown (probably from dust and stuff on my roof) would this be alright to use on my hair?
oh and in the title I meant to say "collecting rainwater as we speak for hair" not "as we for hair"hahaha

MistyF
July 20th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Maybe you could pour it through a coffee filter first to get the dust and sediment out. I love rain water for hair.

Fireweed
July 20th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I collect rain water for my hair too. It makes my hair soft and I like the smell.

DarkSky
July 20th, 2011, 08:40 PM
We are on cistern water so all our water is filtered rain water that has come off of the roof (unless it's a drought then we get town water trucked in). Anyways the rain water is nice and soft and feels good in the hair compared to the city water!! I find water softener systems to be softer though.

auburn
July 20th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I am collecting rainwater outside as we speak! I live in New Mexico so I don't get many chances for this and I am super excited! :cheese: I am getting the most water from the drainage thing off my roof, but the water is a little brown (probably from dust and stuff on my roof) would this be alright to use on my hair?

I don't think the rain water is better... maybe if you live in an isolated countryside.

I live in a city and I do have a water collecting systen on the house (it's rented, the owners made the system)... I tried to collect water once, but it was so dirty, a bit grey, not clear. Though it went to the plastic filters that are attached on the collecting system. I threw it away, never tried again.

My grandmother lives in the countryside, 25 km awayt from the city, and the rain water she gathers is crystal clear and it feels diffrent from usual water, it's sifter somehow, sticks to the skin comletely if you put your hand in it, you know what I mean. Does the hair very well.

If you have access to good rain water, use it for hairwashing... it's good. I wash my hair too when I go to my grandma if I stay for few days.

auburn
July 20th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Maybe you could pour it through a coffee filter first to get the dust and sediment out. I love rain water for hair.

there are special filters for rain water pipes...

a coffee filter would be a very bad ideea, it would get bulked up very fast cause the water flows quite strong when it rains.

aaperez
July 20th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I have never thought to use rain water i bet its great for hair

kahill
July 20th, 2011, 09:15 PM
With all of the air pollution nowadays, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using rainwater on my hair, especially if it ran off of my roof. But I live near Chicago. Hopefully the your rain is cleaner than mine would be... :confused:

chrissy-b
July 20th, 2011, 09:21 PM
there are special filters for rain water pipes...

a coffee filter would be a very bad ideea, it would get bulked up very fast cause the water flows quite strong when it rains.

I'm fairly certain MistyF meant to use the coffee filter to filter the water before she uses it on her hair, not to use a coffee filter for the pipe.

sun-kissed
July 20th, 2011, 09:58 PM
It stormed here for hours today for the first time in a very long time. And, like I do whenever it storms, I went for a nice long walk and got soaked through to the bone. <333 I love rain, and my hair loves it too! But I live in a city, and since we hardly ever get rain, it smells weird and needs to be washed out.. /sigh.

I would not use water off the roof on my hair, birds droppings and other things are in that.. If you collect it directly from the sky it would be better.

JellyBene
July 20th, 2011, 09:59 PM
hmmm I don't have a coffe filter because we have one of those fancy coffe making machines that does one cup at a time. I am just going to let it settle overnight and see if it clears up. It smells very odd, there is tar on my roof maybe it's not a good idea to use it on my hair. I also left a tupperware in the middle of the yard not near the roof, I only got about 2 inches but it is completely clear and smells good. I guess I will just put that much in a squirt botttle and use it as a spritzer.

QueenJoey
July 20th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I get how rainwater is softer for hair, but I'm kinda nervous for trying it. If I get it from dripping off the roof, it'll get all dirty. And almost anywhere else it could be riddled with pollution, which I definitely don't want to be pouring on my head.

TheMechaGinger
July 20th, 2011, 10:07 PM
It's storming here in AZ too and I've got a bucket outside collecting it!

spidermom
July 20th, 2011, 10:08 PM
My grandmother would only use rain water from the rain barrel out back to wash her hair. It came from the roof. She had really nice hair, but if there was no water in the rain barrel, she wouldn't wash her hair, and I remember not wanting to eat because I could smell her head at the table ............. ewwwwwwwww! That totally put me off wanting to collect rain water. My hair use to get really nice from swimming in the river, though, and there was quite a bit of organic murk in that water.

I hope you have terrific results!

Tea Lady
July 20th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I think it is better to set out clean bowls or pitchers for collecting rainwater. Rainwater that runs through gutters and downspouts can have decomposing plant matter, bacteria and mold.

It's a very nice hair treatment though. I love to collect rainwater for this. Last night I missed a HUGE storm. It started in the middle of the night, and I, though aware of the storm, was too tired to run down and set out my pitcher and bowl!

Tea Lady

JellyBene
July 21st, 2011, 10:18 AM
You guys in Arizona are stealing all our monsoons! Hahaha this is usually our monsoon season in NM but this is the first one we have had. I watch the news and every night they say "We should have had a monsoon but it blew over to Arizona... Again."

JellyBene
July 21st, 2011, 10:22 AM

My grandmother would only use rain water from the rain barrel out back to wash her hair. It came from the roof. She had really nice hair, but if there was no water in the rain barrel, she wouldn't wash her hair, and I remember not wanting to eat because I could smell her head at the table ............. ewwwwwwwww! That totally put me off wanting to collect rain water. My hair use to get really nice from swimming in the river, though, and there was quite a bit of organic murk in that water.

I hope you have terrific results!
I am sorry you couln't eat because of the smell of your Grandma's head but this did make me laugh :D! I wish I could swim in the river here but I live in Albuquerque and the only real river we have is the Rio Grande which is kind of a pathetic river and its all muddy and gross. Plus I think it's illegal to swim in it because wildlife officials guard it with their life as it is relly the only river we have :rolleyes:

JuliaDancer
July 21st, 2011, 10:28 AM
It makes sense that rainwater would make your hair softer, because isn't acidity supposed to make your hair softer? e.g. vinegar rinses. With all the pollution out there, a lot of rain is acidic (depending on where you live). Rainwater would also not contain all the minerals that would make regular pipe water hard. However, I would definitely filter it, maybe even with a Brita type filter, because it would collect whatever is hanging in the air and on your roof. I think it definitely depends on where you live as to what kind of pollutants would be in the water. If you don't live near a lot of highways, and you live more in the countryside, the rainwater will be better quality.

BrightEyes7
July 21st, 2011, 11:22 AM
I'd have to move to collect rain water I think. We get about 5 inches all year, and that's a good year.

But I agree, I wouldn't use the stuff that ran off the roof. You have tar, adhesives, bird poop, pollution, and God knows what else on your roof. Therefore it's all in that water. Try putting out a few good size buckets and you should be able to collect more.

MsSelfDestruct
July 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM
i wish it would rain here; we've gotten half an inch since september of last year.:sad

DoubleCrowned
July 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM
To get clean rainwater from the roof, don't start collecting it until the rain has had a chance to wash the roof and gutters. That also gives the rain time to clean pollution out of the air. This was standard practice to keep cistern water clean in the past.

Jeno86
July 21st, 2011, 03:27 PM
I wish this would work for me. Rain water makes my hair super wavy, which I love but it always makes me hair feel incredibly nasty after a while. I think it has to do with the quality of rain water, I live just outside of Denver.

NotInPortland
July 21st, 2011, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't use it if it's coming off of the roof, and I wouldn't use it unless I lived in a fairly isolated area what with air pollution. I've never tried myself but I'd have no problem collecting barrels of rainwater, it rains here practically all the time, summer or winter....but I'd leave the bucket out in the open so it's collecting the rain straight from the sky and not collecting the run off which could have god knows what in it.

Pirate Cat
July 23rd, 2011, 02:45 PM
I did this once and my hair loved it. I just put a big tub outside away from any trees or obstructions so I wouldn't get any run off, and sloshed it inside.

Chetanlaiho
July 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
I always thought the water at my house was soft enough, but when I was caught in the rain last week my hair was sooo soft, so yea, now I'm tempted xD

Tea Lady
July 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM
I just collected 2/3 a pitcher full in last night's heavy rain!

Tea Lady