PDA

View Full Version : How do i figure out my hair type eek ? its complicated beause i cant see my real hair

l0nd0nbr1dg3
July 20th, 2011, 06:43 PM
how do i figure out my hair type?

almost all of the hair is very damaged from bleach and i dont even remember what my hair looks like.. it has also been died alot (I know but i am never doing this again, i just cant cut off what i have now, at least not until my hair gets long)

so is there anyway i can know what my hairtype is if i cant even see my hair or can you tell?

Anje
July 20th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Either go by memory or wait til it's grown out a bit, I guess. Maybe an old picture?

vanillabones
July 20th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I started with very bleach damaged hair in a pixie pretty much too. I could not tell my hair type at all just going by that. I went by old pictures and the fact that I always knew my hair was straight (although I will not know exact until I grow it out considering I blow dried my hair every day for YEARS and often flat ironed then started dying it in my early teens)
:) Try looking at old pictures or simply memory!

torrilin
July 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Honestly, type helps some, but it isn't a magical thing that solves all your hair care problems :).

If your icon picture is you, I'd mostly worry that your hair is really short. My partner is a guy with 3something hair that he wears about as short as yours. We can't get more precise on his curl pattern without him growing out his hair to about shoulder length or APL. And even if he did... thanks to his psoriasis, he needs to follow a hair care routine that would make it tough to tell how tight or loose his curls are. His sister is around a 3a, and that is at least a reasonable ballpark for him.

The fine to coarse bit of hairtyping is pretty straightforward. If the dye and bleach you've used have changed anything, it'd be to make your hair coarser. Most people have hairs of different thicknesses on their head too. So the type is to give people an idea of the predominant texture.

Thickness... you can't do at your length. We can't do thickness on my partner-creature either, for the same reason as we can't type his curls properly. About the best I can do is make a guess based on his sister's thickness. She's a solid iii, so he's probably on the thicker side too.

But it is only a guess. If we were trying to guess my hairtype based on my sister, we'd guess that I was a iii coz she is. And I'm not. I'm a ii! But I'm also a solid F, and she's a solid M, which tidily explains the difference. But I'm sure there are sibling pairs where one's a ii and the other is a iii and their texture is the same. Siblings aren't clones.

I'd just fill in the bits where you have a reasonable idea, and be prepared to revise things as your hair grows out.