PDA

View Full Version : I love decylglocouside! Hair and baby wash lovers, unite!!!

starlamelissa
July 20th, 2011, 04:57 PM
How many of us are using gentle hair and baby washes as our main shampoo..? I love my baby aquaphor hair and body baby wash, it cleans, leaves my hair soft, leaves me with a non itchy scalp, and it is scentless which is important to me, as fragrance gives me migraines.

I think the ingredient that makes baby shampoo work for me is the decylglucoside, which is just so gentle. I don't have to dilute it at all!

So who here loves baby shampoo and wAsh? what brand do you just love? And, would you ever go back to adult shampoo as your main shampoo?:eyebrows:

SoulOfTheSea
July 20th, 2011, 07:13 PM
What is your hair type? The reason I'm asking is because it seems like baby shampoo doesn't get my hair clean enough... if that makes sense o-O

rena
July 20th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I was at one time loving the Johnson's Lavender Baby Shampoo because it seemed to clean and condition my hair at the same time, but now I only use it occasionally because all the hype about it's ph level scared me into not using it :(. If I could get some solid proof the Johnson's isn't bad for my hair I would gladly go back to using it.

starlamelissa
July 20th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hey soul, my hair is almost waist, it's iii thickness and chemically colored. The texture is wavy, and very fine. To get my hair clean I apply dime sized amounts in sections on my scalp. Total amount would be one palmful at most. I massage gently for three minutes, until I have a thin silky lather and rinse with warm water till all my bubbles are out.

I finish with a silver dollar of unscented thick con dish, don't rinse, and go about my day.

starlamelissa
July 20th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Hey Rena, if your hair feels nice, and looks nice, and you see no increase in dryness or splits....I don't see how john sons could be bad......

rena
July 20th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Hey Rena, if your hair feels nice, and looks nice, and you see no increase in dryness or splits....I don't see how john sons could be bad......

Thanks Star :)

starlamelissa
July 20th, 2011, 10:32 PM
You are most welcome :)

aliceinmadness
July 20th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Rena: Why don't you just use a pH strip if you're worried about it? You can get pH tester at the pet store in the aquarium section...they're not fantastically accurate or anything (although the liquid reagent is pretty good), but it'll give you an idea about whether the pH on it is some other side of neutral.

rena
July 20th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Rena: Why don't you just use a pH strip if you're worried about it? You can get pH tester at the pet store in the aquarium section...they're not fantastically accurate or anything (although the liquid reagent is pretty good), but it'll give you an idea about whether the pH on it is some other side of neutral.

Oh, I didn't even know about those :o.

JadeTigress
July 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I havn't tried it yet, but my mom recently started using Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Wash on her hair. The first time she used it, she only grabbed it because she'd run out of her shampoo and she had a bottle of that for when my niece stays at her house. Now she swears by it and she won't use anything else.

Loreley
July 20th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I use Dulgon kids shampoo (German brand). It has an awesome conditioning effect. It contains lauryl glucoside and coco-glucoside. I don't know if these are similar to deylglucouside. :confused:
I love this shampoo and I wouldn't use SLS shampoo again. They make my ends dry except a few which contain oils. But they are not good for my greasy hair. :rolleyes:
This kids shampoo is the best I've ever tried. It's pretty cheap and has a nice apricot smell. :p The only problem with it is that if the smallest amount gets into my mouth it's terrible. Very very bitter.

aliceinmadness
July 20th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Oh, I didn't even know about those :o.

lol...planted aquariums are the glue that keeps my marriage together ;) don't ask me what kind of raw chemicals I have laying around my house.

boomygrrl
July 21st, 2011, 08:37 AM
I haven't used baby shampoo...maybe I'll try. I have Johnson's Head to Toe in my shower to wash my face. Its good for that, especially hot, sweaty summers with my extremely oily face. I'm 7 months pregnant, so I'll be buying that shampoo by bulk soon enough.

I used to use a shampoo that had decyl glucoside in it, but it was reformulated and now has SLES. Although I like SLES (sodium laurETH sulfate)...I have to admit the decyl glucoside was nice. SLES is in almost everything, so I'm sure my favorite shampoo is just like every other shampoo out there now. I haven't bothered buying the reformulated version.

Maybe I should try baby shampoo. Intriguing.

starlamelissa
July 21st, 2011, 08:41 AM
Cocoglocoside is awesome too, it's also an ingredient in my shampoo. I love using a shampoo that is not capable of cleaning a frying pan:)

starlamelissa
July 21st, 2011, 08:47 AM
I haven't used baby shampoo...maybe I'll try. I have Johnson's Head to Toe in my shower to wash my face. Its good for that, especially hot, sweaty summers with my extremely oily face. I'm 7 months pregnant, so I'll be buying that shampoo by bulk soon enough.

I used to use a shampoo that had decyl glucoside in it, but it was reformulated and now has SLES. Although I like SLES (sodium laurETH sulfate)...I have to admit the decyl glucoside was nice. SLES is in almost everything, so I'm sure my favorite shampoo is just like every other shampoo out there now. I haven't bothered buying the reformulated version.

Maybe I should try baby shampoo. Intriguing.
I have tried john sons head to toe, and I wasn't in love with it for me or baby, but similarily priced is Disney baby naturals fragrance free baby wash, available at walmart that looks very promising. I bought two 15oz bottles, because they changed bottle design and the old bottle is going for 2.50 right now. We have sensitivities in our house so fragrance free is king around here.

starlamelissa
July 21st, 2011, 08:53 AM
I havn't tried it yet, but my mom recently started using Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Wash on her hair. The first time she used it, she only grabbed it because she'd run out of her shampoo and she had a bottle of that for when my niece stays at her house. Now she swears by it and she won't use anything else.
I use fragrance free dandruff shampoo once a week, or once every other week to keep my scalp flake free and to clarify the length, but there is absolutely no way I'd go back to adult shampoo full-time. Too stripping!

MissHair
July 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM
I bought a fragrance-free baby shampoo from the drugstore yesterday. Im loving it, as fragrances also gives me migraines. Hair is soft and shiny.

starlamelissa
July 21st, 2011, 05:27 PM
I bought a fragrance-free baby shampoo from the drugstore yesterday. Im loving it, as fragrances also gives me migraines. Hair is soft and shiny.
What brand did you choose? And did you find the low sudsing of a baby shampoo to be a bit of a learning curve at first? I know the first time I tried it I wondered how much to dilute it, and quickly realized that diluting was not necessary!

rena
August 16th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I just wanted to say that I'm back with the Johnson's for a little while :). I couldn't get the ph strips, but anything that can give my hair such softness, slip, and a glassy sheen all by itself has to be pretty good stuff.

CurlAhead
August 16th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I just wanted to say that I'm back with the Johnson's for a little while :). I couldn't get the ph strips, but anything that can give my hair such softness, slip, and a glassy sheen all by itself has to be pretty good stuff.

I see that you have similar hair type like me, can I ask you where you live or if you know if that baby shampoo you are using only can be bought in a specific country?

However, that exactly is decylglocouside? :confused:

rena
August 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I see that you have similar hair type like me, can I ask you where you live or if you know if that baby shampoo you are using only can be bought in a specific country?

However, that exactly is decylglocouside? :confused:

Hey Curlahead, I live in the U.S. and I think I remember reading that Johnson and Johnson's products do sell in other countries.

Decylglocouside is an ingredient in the OP's shampoo. Its a mild surfactant that is plant derived and gentle, which is why it is in some baby shampoos.

CurlAhead
August 16th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Hey Curlahead, I live in the U.S. and I think I remember reading that Johnson and Johnson's products do sell in other countries.

Decylglocouside is an ingredient in the OP's shampoo. Its a mild surfactant that is plant derived and gentle, which is why it is in some baby shampoos.

Thank you, I found it at an online store (well, I think it was an online store). Every baby schampoo has SLS and MORE sulfates than regular shampoos! :confused:

pixiedust
August 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Interesting ! I have a bottle of J&J's Natural (98%natural derived ingedients or whatever, it was the only silicone and sulfate free one I can find. It's a green bottle) baby shampoo, but have been using it for only my makeup brushes because i've also heard about negative effects of baby shampoo's alkalinity on hair. I have been wanting to try it though, being that my scalp has been angry about recently reintroducing SLS due to summer greasies. Maybe next time I wash I'll give it a whirl, and let you guys know (: If i remember correctly, it contains coco-glucoside as well, but I'd have to check.

terpentyna
August 16th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I was looking at the baby shampoos/ baby washes the other day, I see no one has said anything negative about them so far... I'm leaning closer towards buying it next time I need shampoo.

dragonchickx
August 16th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I love this stuff too!!! Ive used it on my hair though and its too drying... :( but I use it as body wash.. I have very dry scalp... I can go days without any hint of oil which is hard on my ends in the long run..