PDA

View Full Version : Two Hair Types Support Thread

layla<33
July 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM
sorry if there is a simialer thread like this already :o but i though some of us with 'split personality' hair could use some support and maybe some tips for styles and such :D okay, so my hair is 2c/3a on the canopy but my under layers are 1a.. almost complete opposites.. i dont mind much though because the straight underlayer allows me to have my wurls and length that doesnt shrink much :D also i love making a half up, the hair thats down is straight and the hair in the pony is wurly :D the only thing is with buns where i leave some length out, the part left out is usually straight instead of pretty spirals :\ oh well i still love enjoying the wurls without extreme thickness, poof, or shrinkage :o

proo
July 20th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Yep, me too layla; my canopy is curly/frizzy and the underneath is smooth and straight - oh that it were the other way around! I've pretty much made peace with it after 52 years, but it's like there's this actual point of demarcation where one texture ends and the other begins . . . what up with that??

aaperez
July 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM
personally my hait seems to be a salt n' pepper of sorts with mostly thin and some thicker strands the thin tend to be almost strait and the thicker hair tends to be wavy almost kinda kinky it not that hard to manage but I do wish my hair could just make up its mind -_-

layla<33
July 20th, 2011, 07:07 PM
hi proo :) glad to know im not the only one :) i used to wish mine was the other way around too so i lat ironed it daily :( but now ive come to love my natural hair and stopped torturing it :) it was a battle though.. it never stayed straight for long :o ; hello aaperez! wow all mixed in together? i honostly wouldnt know what to do so no help from me there sorry :o

Zesty
July 20th, 2011, 07:44 PM
My hair is pretty close to 1a (maybe 1a/1b) on top. But just underneath I have waves that often venture into the 2 zone, which really come out to play when I go cone-free for a while. I call myself 1c because looking at me no one would call my hair wavy, but it's certainly not a 1a or 1b all over. I always thought my half-ups looked weird. :p I also have mostly fine hair, but every once in a while I find one that's a solid medium bordering on coarse. Those are usually wavier than the fine hairs, too.

Roseate
July 20th, 2011, 07:51 PM
There's already a thread for the 2's: click right here! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563) :)

layla<33
July 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM
hiya zesty! wow thats some really confused hair you got there! but beautiful none the lest im sure :D maybe you could pull off those buns with part of the lenth loose and hanging down? my freind does them all time but here hair is 1a on top near her head and has loose curls on the bottom.. plus its super long.. yes i am a tad envious ;) ....and ive recently went cone free and also instantly went from 2b/2c to 2c/3a :cheese:

layla<33
July 20th, 2011, 07:59 PM
There's already a thread for the 2's: click right here! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563) :)

im actual subscribed to that thread ;) this one is for the ones who sport two or more separate hair types all on one head :)

Roseate
July 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM
im actual subscribed to that thread ;) this one is for the ones who sport two or more separate hair types all on one head :)

Oh, right, two types, not type twos! Never mind! :p

monsterna
July 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I'm 1c/2a. It seems like my left side is wavier than the right side. That might be because I comb the top right a lot in order to attempt to control a bad crown cowlick. But still. I wish it would all just be a solid 2a at least.

rena
July 20th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I guess I'm sort of like this. My canopy/crown area is finer in texture and flattens out very easily, maybe something like 2b at the waviest, and my back is well...crazy :p. My outer edge hair is usually quite fine and soft with the exception of my hairline around my forhead which is hoplessly frizzy like it is in the back which I hate and cannot understand for the life of me. When I comb all my hair back and look at it, it looks pretty straight. I have everything from baby fine, floaty straight, to squiggly coarsies. Its not pleasant having combination hair :(.

layla<33
July 20th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Oh, right, two types, not type twos! Never mind! :p

thats quite all right :D

layla<33
July 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I guess I'm sort of like this. My canopy/crown area is finer in texture and flattens out very easily, maybe something like 2b at the waviest, and my back is well...crazy :p. My outer edge hair is usually quite fine and soft with the exception of my hairline around my forhead which is hoplessly frizzy like it is in the back which I hate and cannot understand for the life of me. When I comb all my hair back and look at it, it looks pretty straight. I have everything from baby fine, floaty straight, to squiggly coarsies. Its not pleasant having combination hair :(.

combo hair is a hassle at times! i always thought i had straight hair but after washing i always combed it straight back and it was just a half straight half bumpy mess :( but now its a wurlt frizzy ends mess :o just a more pretty mess :D ...monsterna: my hair is the same way because of my layers! while its drying i get palmfuls of hair on each side and press them to my head.. sort of scrunching just this way theres les frizzies plus if i lay on my side while wet the opposite sides hair will dry less wurly than the other :rolleyes:

rena
July 21st, 2011, 08:37 PM
combo hair is a hassle at times! i always thought i had straight hair but after washing i always combed it straight back and it was just a half straight half bumpy mess :( but now its a wurlt frizzy ends mess :o just a more pretty mess :D ...monsterna: my hair is the same way because of my layers! while its drying i get palmfuls of hair on each side and press them to my head.. sort of scrunching just this way theres les frizzies plus if i lay on my side while wet the opposite sides hair will dry less wurly than the other :rolleyes:

Does your combo hair get especially challenging in the summer time? I know mine does! Instead of waves and straightness, I get curls, waves, wurls, fuzzies, and a teensy bit of straightness in some places :eek:.

Mesmerise
July 21st, 2011, 08:43 PM
Yep, me too layla; my canopy is curly/frizzy and the underneath is smooth and straight - oh that it were the other way around! I've pretty much made peace with it after 52 years, but it's like there's this actual point of demarcation where one texture ends and the other begins . . . what up with that??

Ooooh no I would swap! Hair that is curly underneath and straighter on top is so ridiculous lol. My hair just looks so strange. Parts of the top are quite straight, and then you get these almost ringlet curls underneath. I would rather the reverse and have it straight underneath. At least then you don't have weird curls poking up under fairly straight hair!

Actually, I really wish it was either straight or wurly...

Sunshineliz
July 21st, 2011, 08:50 PM
Ooooh no I would swap! Hair that is curly underneath and straighter on top is so ridiculous lol. My hair just looks so strange. Parts of the top are quite straight, and then you get these almost ringlet curls underneath. I would rather the reverse and have it straight underneath. At least then you don't have weird curls poking up under fairly straight hair!

Actually, I really wish it was either straight or wurly...

Agreed! I'm gently wavy on the top and wurly underneath. I can get some really nice spirals underneath, but no one would ever know:rolleyes: When I feel weirdly wavy, I wish for my hair to pick one, but not both! Ah to be straight! Or solidly wavy! Or fully curly! *sigh* I'm trying to get used to hair that won't make up it's mind.

kme81
July 21st, 2011, 08:51 PM
I have this in a strange way...I have two small sections on my 1b head that are straight up 3a/3b, they usually get eaten by the brush that I use on the rest of my hair though. What is really weird though is that the curly hair is dark and coarse, the opposite of the rest of my hair.

They are actually the hair that has grown from what I suppose were some head sores (happened several years ago)...has anyone heard of hair growing strangely out of scar tissue?

rena
July 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM
I have this in a strange way...I have two small sections on my 1b head that are straight up 3a/3b, they usually get eaten by the brush that I use on the rest of my hair though. What is really weird though is that the curly hair is dark and coarse, the opposite of the rest of my hair.

They are actually the hair that has grown from what I suppose were some head sores (happened several years ago)...has anyone heard of hair growing strangely out of scar tissue?

:shocked: I thought it was just ME! I had my hair relaxed a year ago and it burnt my scalp so bad in places that it bled. I posted in this thread about my curly and coarse hairline, which is where I was burnt. I also have a coarse patch in the back where I think I was burnt as well. The hair in these places is also darker and squigglier. This is interesting...

Nae
July 21st, 2011, 09:18 PM
Oh my yes. My hair drives me crazy because of this. I have slightly wavy hair on the canopy. Maybe a 2a-ish? But underneath I have spiral curls that form right behind my ears and around the back.....no higher than the ears.

Crazy hair.

Years ago I tried to perm the top to match the bottom which ended up with me still having slightly wavy hair except it was then super damaged. Argh.

So I gave up and just live with it lol. What else can you do?

layla<33
July 21st, 2011, 09:29 PM
Does your combo hair get especially challenging in the summer time? I know mine does! Instead of waves and straightness, I get curls, waves, wurls, fuzzies, and a teensy bit of straightness in some places :eek:.

i get more frizzies and its i bit curlyer.. probally because all of the humidity and moisture in the air. i love to wear my hair down just after it rains! :D it bounces right up into lots of, frizzy, but pretty spirals :)

kme81
July 22nd, 2011, 08:16 PM
:shocked: I thought it was just ME! I had my hair relaxed a year ago and it burnt my scalp so bad in places that it bled. I posted in this thread about my curly and coarse hairline, which is where I was burnt. I also have a coarse patch in the back where I think I was burnt as well. The hair in these places is also darker and squigglier. This is interesting...

Wow that sounds painful!!!:headache: It is really interesting though...glad to know someone else with the same hair oddity! ;)

rena
July 22nd, 2011, 08:29 PM
Wow that sounds painful!!!:headache: It is really interesting though...glad to know someone else with the same hair oddity! ;)

Oh boy it was, and it was a child's relaxer too. I shudder to think about the big girl stuff!

1nuitblanche
July 22nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Hey! This is me too! My hair is pretty much straight on top - sometimes it's a little wavy if I put a lot of effort into it - and has ringlets on the bottom. It looks ridiculous when I only put half of it up, and now that it's long, it looks funny in a ponytail because I have a few frizzy ringlets poking out from an otherwise sleek length.

Does anyone else notice that the curly part of their hair is weaker? Mine either breaks or has a terminal length between shoulder and APL.

Pirate Cat
July 23rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
My thick hair tries to be really poofy, and gets almost frizzy when it's up, but if I wear it down it goes limp and super straight with no body. Maybe more of a management issue than a two-type issue, though.

layla<33
July 25th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Hey! This is me too! My hair is pretty much straight on top - sometimes it's a little wavy if I put a lot of effort into it - and has ringlets on the bottom. It looks ridiculous when I only put half of it up, and now that it's long, it looks funny in a ponytail because I have a few frizzy ringlets poking out from an otherwise sleek length.

Does anyone else notice that the curly part of their hair is weaker? Mine either breaks or has a terminal length between shoulder and APL.

yes my curly half seems more fragile but that might be because its the canopy and sees all the damage. im not sure about the terminal length though.

Audrey Horne
July 25th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I join! I'd say none of my characteristics are solid, now you can add ii/iii to it, I guess.
I consist of wurly, wavy and very straightish and it seems like there's no system. However, the hair next to my face is straighter than anywhere else.

layla<33
July 25th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I join! I'd say none of my characteristics are solid, now you can add ii/iii to it, I guess.
I consist of wurly, wavy and very straightish and it seems like there's no system. However, the hair next to my face is straighter than anywhere else.

the hair behind my head is only slightly wavy and the hair on the side of my face is full of spirals :D

hey! is it just me or is there someone else out there with hair that spirals and curls more the longer it is?? :eyebrows: my layers that are above shoulder are straight or just flip :rolleyes:

Audrey Horne
July 25th, 2011, 07:31 PM
hey! is it just me or is there someone else out there with hair that spirals and curls more the longer it is?? :eyebrows: my layers that are above shoulder are straight or just flip :rolleyes:
I can't really say... BUT my fringe wurls more as it grows that's why it looks on the pics like it doesn't even grow. So I may, in theory, end up just like you with wurls around my face.

Charybdis
July 31st, 2011, 07:07 AM
So happy to see this thread! I have so many different types of hairs on my head, it's not even funny. When my hair is long (longest it's been in the past is close to waist-length), it looks more or less like 2a - loose but very distinct S-waves that ripple diagonally through the hair, but relatively straight near the scalp. However, I have finer curly hairs around my face and a wispy spiral curl that shows up over one (!) ear, as well as random frizzies distributed around. Overall texture is medium and color is dark brown shading towards slightly lighter around the face; but I have some coarse, straighter hairs that look black, especially towards the back. Then a few strands are fine and golden blond or reddish; these tend to be curlier. I'm also getting a few grays, which show the same range of textures; they vary in color from opaque pearly white (medium or coarse) to translucent (very fine, almost like Scandinavian white-blond hair).

I'm now growing out from chin length and am just getting to the flippy, shoulder-brushing length, which is the most difficult one to manage with my hair. But I'm ready to get back to long hair that I can put up and forget about more easily. I do think that the texture variety within my hair makes it more difficult to style at anything other than very short or very long lengths. Right now I have about 4-5 inches of virgin hair, with some subtle highlights (conventional dye) in the rest of the length. They blend ok with the new growth, but the part that's been dyed has also been blow-fried more and is more prone to tangling.

layla<33
August 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM
ugh worst thing about this?? the routine. right now i went back to shampoo but one with only one sulfate and sweet almond oil in it.. i was COing but suprisingly with this shampoo i have no frizz in the wurly half and my straight half is nice sleek and super soft :D (and yes i clarified before COing and acutually i had just got that routine down where it rinses all out :o , oh weel) glad i finally got my routine down though :) i just did a 30 minute egg protine treatment cause the bleached highlights were feeling stretchy and mushy when wet but it feels SOOOOOOO much better now :D and right this secong im plopping for the first time with a dime sized of conditioner scrunched in :) anyways wanted to share and bump up this thread. :flower: so i'd love to hear your routine :)

Charybdis
August 24th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hey, other folks with "mixed" hair: do you ever get any rogue hairs that are not even close to your primary texture? In the shower yesterday, one of my sheds was not just spiral-curled, but a TIGHT spiral curl. I mean, the curl literally looked like the hair had been permed using a roller the size of a pencil. Like, 3c hair on the border of 4a.

I've had sheds that looked frizzy before, with a teeny-tiny S-wave where each curve in the "S" is just a few millimeters long, and I had chalked those up to mechanical damage even though I'm pretty gentle with my hair. I'm starting to think they just grew that way, though. This 3c shed didn't look damaged at all, just EXTREMELY curled. Weird. And totally not representative of the way my hair looks as a whole. It doesn't seem to be a function of graying, as the frizzy hairs are usually not gray and this curly shed wasn't either.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences....

kabelaced
August 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I have something kind of like this, and I didn't notice it until a few years ago...

My canopy hairs are maybe 1b/1c and usually pretty soft, but my under layer hairs are always coarse and dry like straw, and the hairs are not straight up and down - they do this funny loose zigzag thing (but they do not curl). I rarely ever do half-ups because it looks really awful :<

Sometimes I wish I had the same kind of hair all throughout, but just like the colors of the hairs being multi-dimensional, so then is the texture of many people's hair. The diversity of nature at its finest :)

Sunshineliz
August 24th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hey, other folks with "mixed" hair: do you ever get any rogue hairs that are not even close to your primary texture? In the shower yesterday, one of my sheds was not just spiral-curled, but a TIGHT spiral curl. I mean, the curl literally looked like the hair had been permed using a roller the size of a pencil. Like, 3c hair on the border of 4a.

I've had sheds that looked frizzy before, with a teeny-tiny S-wave where each curve in the "S" is just a few millimeters long, and I had chalked those up to mechanical damage even though I'm pretty gentle with my hair. I'm starting to think they just grew that way, though. This 3c shed didn't look damaged at all, just EXTREMELY curled. Weird. And totally not representative of the way my hair looks as a whole. It doesn't seem to be a function of graying, as the frizzy hairs are usually not gray and this curly shed wasn't either.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences....

I have no answer to why it happens, but wanted you to know alot of my baby hairs do this too--from short waves to full on curls. I don't get it. I keep thinking I should moisturize, and sometimes that helps, but it also can result in looking lank and greasy with waves. I tried a damp bun the other day and went over the top with a fine-tooth comb and YES the baby frizz behaved itself very well when it dried. BUT I had no volume.:confused: And the hair in the bun didn't dry. I would have thought drying my hair all pulled back would result in some root lift once I pulled it out and they lay another way, but nope.

ETA:Actually the bun I'm referring to is my siggy pic!:D It did indeed show off the silvers well regardless.:)

Medusa
August 24th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Agreed! I'm gently wavy on the top and wurly underneath. I can get some really nice spirals underneath, but no one would ever know:rolleyes: When I feel weirdly wavy, I wish for my hair to pick one, but not both! Ah to be straight! Or solidly wavy! Or fully curly! *sigh* I'm trying to get used to hair that won't make up it's mind.

This is me! The hair near the nape of my neck is full blown curly ringlets (3b), the hair around my face (ears forward) is ringlets (3a), and the rest of my hair (ears back, crown) is wavy (2b/c, depending on its mood). It's so frustrating to have this limp hair on the crown while pretty curls are hiding underneath. Grrrrrr!

Jing
August 24th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I'm going to have an epic case of this when I get more silvers. They're all (four of them) coarse and squiggly. They don't seem to coil, though, just squiggle. If they coiled as tightly as they squiggle, they'd be 3b or so. My hair is going to look either insanely ridiculous or crazy fantastic in 20 years time.

Sunshineliz
August 24th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I'm going to have an epic case of this when I get more silvers. They're all (four of them) coarse and squiggly. They don't seem to coil, though, just squiggle. If they coiled as tightly as they squiggle, they'd be 3b or so. My hair is going to look either insanely ridiculous or crazy fantastic in 20 years time.

They may stretch out a bit when they're longer. I've got a lot of annoying short 'squigglies' right now (and ALOT of them are silver), but they play along relatively well when longer. Or at least play along as well as the others do.:rolleyes:

MissAlyssa
August 24th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I'm like 1a on top and the hair is fine, and then 1c throught the middle and bottom, but the middle hair is about mediumish in thickness, while the very bottom is really course. It gets soo tangly and always feels dry and makes my hair look scraggly. Ugh its annoying, but i;ve learned to deal with it :)

Charybdis
August 25th, 2011, 04:53 AM
OK, my sheds were so crazy different this morning that I had to get photographic evidence:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jzGnd5why2k/TlYnYxl3PbI/AAAAAAAAAkg/ls80Qkmt-M4/s800/CIMG1013_small.jpg. This is a small selection of what was shed in the shower today; the hairs are dry and are not taped, and have not been messed with in any way.

The ones on the right-hand side are more representative of my overall hair texture. You'll notice that some of the sheds are short, which is not representative of my hair length -- I have "halo hairs" that grow near my hairline, esp. around my forehead, that never get beyond a few inches. Some of them shed at around 1". The halo hairs tend to be curly, although they're not usually the squiggly/spiral ones. The squiggly spiral ones tend to be fine and often lighter in color, so they're harder to see in this photo.

It's like the United Nations of hair textures up there. Anybody else have this going on?

DuckyDot
August 25th, 2011, 05:03 AM
OK, my sheds were so crazy different this morning that I had to get photographic evidence:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jzGnd5why2k/TlYnYxl3PbI/AAAAAAAAAkg/ls80Qkmt-M4/s800/CIMG1013_small.jpg. This is a small selection of what was shed in the shower today; the hairs are dry and are not taped, and have not been messed with in any way.

The ones on the right-hand side are more representative of my overall hair texture. You'll notice that some of the sheds are short, which is not representative of my hair length -- I have "halo hairs" that grow near my hairline, esp. around my forehead, that never get beyond a few inches. Some of them shed at around 1". The halo hairs tend to be curly, although they're not usually the squiggly/spiral ones. The squiggly spiral ones tend to be fine and often lighter in color, so they're harder to see in this photo.

It's like the United Nations of hair textures up there. Anybody else have this going on?

YES. This is me! Although the majority of my hair is 2c/3a, underneath the main hair it can be more like 2b and near my temples, my hair has always been more like 3b/3c. It's RIDICULOUS. I mean, how am I supposed to cater for like five hair types on one head? :confused: And around my temples, these hairs only get to around bottom-of-eye length (stretched) and are just poofy when curly. ugh. Thanks Mum and Dad.

Kelikea
August 25th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I think the left side of my hair is less wavy than the right, maybe a 2a on left and 2b/c on right, then the back down the middle is thicker and wavier than the sides, as you can see in my avatar. The hair by my nape is super fine and straight 1a/1b. My bangs are also straighter, like 1bish, sometimes they can be coaxed into a 1c or 2a. I have mostly fine hair, but there are some coarser hairs that creep up every once in a while, and they tend to be wavy-kinky and brown, auburn, or dark reddish brown, while the fine ones look blonde in the light.

Charybdis
August 25th, 2011, 05:19 AM
YES. This is me! Although the majority of my hair is 2c/3a, underneath the main hair it can be more like 2b and near my temples, my hair has always been more like 3b/3c. It's RIDICULOUS. I mean, how am I supposed to cater for like five hair types on one head? :confused: And around my temples, these hairs only get to around bottom-of-eye length (stretched) and are just poofy when curly. ugh. Thanks Mum and Dad.

YES. THIS.

A hair twin! Woot! Well, close enough, anyway. :D

It's not really a big problem for me, but it does mean that I will always have some amount of frizz to my hair, since I don't have enough of the spiral curl hairs to make proper curls. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one whose hair has a permanent identity crisis!

kidari
August 25th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Most people are straight on top and curly by the neck, I'm the opposite. My canopy is more coarse and wurly and tends to frizz whereas the rest of my hair underneath is medium in thickness, is more straight, and will never ever frizz. It looks really strange because the canopy doesn't exactly curl ever, it's just wiry and frizzy and annoying so when I don't know how to deal with it, I take a curling iron to the canopy only to force it to behave. Normally I just pin curl the top sections when it's wet or even better I damp bun all of my hair and it makes it look more uniform. The top sections curl better in general but I can live with that. I like volume in the crown and I cut the top layers shorter so I don't mind having to use a curling iron on those sections in a pinch and it gives the overall effect I like anyway.

Jing
August 25th, 2011, 07:57 AM
They may stretch out a bit when they're longer. I've got a lot of annoying short 'squigglies' right now (and ALOT of them are silver), but they play along relatively well when longer. Or at least play along as well as the others do.:rolleyes:

Hopefully. They do straighten themselves out a bit when I brush my hair, but I imagine brushing will just make my hair poofy once they take over.

Sunshineliz
August 25th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Hopefully. They do straighten themselves out a bit when I brush my hair, but I imagine brushing will just make my hair poofy once they take over.

Yes, the dreaded poof.:laugh: I managed to eliminate the poof one day and felt so accomplished. Then I realized that I also had no volume and it was a little unflattering on me to have hair so flat. Perhaps, for me, a bit of poofyness can be a good thing?