PDA

View Full Version : Refreshing chat with a hairdresser

ChloeDharma
June 25th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I honestly was gobsmacked......

I went to the pub the other night with a friend and the barman who i've chatted to before and found out is a hairdresser complimented my haircolour.....he noticed it had changed, i hennad recently and chopped it back to waist, but anyway....he was like "oooh can i come and have a better look?" so of course i was like "sure..."
Anyway he was really sweet saying it wasn't as bad as i was saying but he could see it still needs an inch or 2 gone to look its best again (though really it needs to go back to brastrap length but i'm not doing that), i explained i'd cut it from hip, and he said how he thought cutting it from that to BSL would have been too traumatic for me.....

Anyway, then he went back behind the bar and we carried on chatting....and suddenly he goes "i know this sounds mad, but commercial deep treatments can be really expensive.....have you considered making your own with natural ingredients? Avocado is really good as are eggs...." You could have floored me! That sparked me going on about yogurt and oils etc.....

So, i just thought i'd post and give credit where credit is due for a mainstream hairdresser who actually knows stuff about hair and doesn't seem totally taken in to think if it's not a salon product it's no good.

blondecat
June 25th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Yessss, Good one :)

{i've got a good hairdresser, and I'm slowly teaching her <<GRINING>>]

hippiechick1976
June 25th, 2008, 06:43 AM
how cool is that:) the one hairdresser I talked to about coconut oil etc only could say that her products are formulated with all that plus other essential ingrediants. I asked her what they were for and she looked at me dumbfounded and said "hair?'....

Tabitha
June 25th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Nice to hear a positive hairdresser story!

I love my hairdresser. :inlove: When he said my hair was in excellent condition for its length I told him I mainly tried to avoid heatstyling and often washed with conditioner only, and he nodded and wasn't phased by that at all.

spidermom
June 25th, 2008, 08:19 AM
That is so very nice, CD. I've seen you get pretty depressed about your hair in the past, so it's wonderful to read that you got positive feedback.

Fencai
June 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
WOW!!! Kudos to him!!!!

Darkhorse1
June 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM
My hairdresser has long , waist long hair. I found the perfect one!!! She's AWESOME!

Miss Murphy
June 26th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I love my hairdresser too! She is always giving me compliments for my hair, and she never tried to sell a short hairdo to me. :inlove:

Riot Crrl
June 26th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I have to wonder if more stylists wouldn't say stuff like this after the whistle has blown and the product commissions aren't being calculated.

I have to say though... eggs?

aisling
June 26th, 2008, 12:50 AM
That sounds like a hairdresser you could trust to trim your hair :) I really hope he works as a hairdresser as well, not just an barman.

ChloeDharma
June 26th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Spidermom....it was nice to get a hair compliment, not having hennad i've not had any for ages so i'm determined to get back into a henna routine.
I'm still not that happy with it though, i'm just hoping maintaining at waist for a while helps.....

Riot crrl.....yeah, eggs are an old one, i don't really use them because i find the smell lingers for ages which isn't pleasant, but i do remember doing a DT with egg yolks gave me amazing shine.

Aisling.....he works as a hairdresser in the day but does the barman thing to earn some extra money :)

Riot Crrl
June 26th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Riot crrl.....yeah, eggs are an old one, i don't really use them because i find the smell lingers for ages which isn't pleasant, but i do remember doing a DT with egg yolks gave me amazing shine.

I used to do it with the yolks too, years ago. The whites are super drying IME. They are also fairly high pH, but this is affected by freshness. (Eggs get baser the older they are.)

Curlsgirl
June 26th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I am sure that meant SO much to you!!! :cheese:

I recently posted about finding what seems to be a great one so far too! :pray: She asked me what I do with my hair because it is so healthy and I told her mostly no heat, no ironing, no brushing etc. She said I am the only client she has seen with hair at my length this healthy. Granted she has only been doing hair for 2 years hee hee but still!!! I told her about coconut oil and she actually asked where to get it. I may even let her trim an inch next time :eyebrows:

MoonCreature
June 26th, 2008, 01:45 AM
That sounds wonderfull! It seems impossible to find a good hairdresser that gives tips that don't include one buying tonns of stuff from them (I found one that gave me tips on how to s&d and maintain the length, but he moved away :()

ChloeDharma
June 26th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I used to do it with the yolks too, years ago. The whites are super drying IME. They are also fairly high pH, but this is affected by freshness. (Eggs get baser the older they are.)

Oh i've never tried the whites because they are known to be very astringent....do you mean the whites are alkaline? Or the yolks too?

Riot Crrl
June 26th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Oh i've never tried the whites because they are known to be very astringent....do you mean the whites are alkaline? Or the yolks too?

Fresh eggs have a yolk near 6.0 (acidic but not quite as acidic as most young adult hair and skin) but fresh whites are already at least 7.6. I think both get more alkaline with age, but I am not totally certain about yolks doing that. Whites do for sure.

ChloeDharma
June 26th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Fresh eggs have a yolk near 6.0 (acidic but not quite as acidic as most young adult hair and skin) but fresh whites are already at least 7.6. I think both get more alkaline with age, but I am not totally certain about yolks doing that. Whites do for sure.

So maybe a more mayonaisse type recipe is best with eggs (yolks) so that a bit of vinegar can push the ph down a bit?

hmmnnn i'm hijacking my own thread...

Riot Crrl
June 26th, 2008, 03:04 AM
So maybe a more mayonaisse type recipe is best with eggs (yolks) so that a bit of vinegar can push the ph down a bit?

hmmnnn i'm hijacking my own thread...

Sorry for continued hijack... but yeah, I believe mayonnaise would be better than whole eggs or even separated yolks.

1. The whites are gone
2. As you say there is acid added
3. There is also oil added

It does smell kind of weird though. And get that freaky "clear" appearance like when it's left way too long in the sun. But I have done it and it was better than whole eggs or whole egg yolks in my experience.