PDA

View Full Version : Short hair care help please!!!

ratgirldjh
July 20th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I recently cut my long hair and now it is in a chin length bob.

So imagine my surprise that when I went to wash my hair for the first time since the cut with my normal method (soap and ACV rinse) and my hair just didn't seem to appreciate it!

Why would having shorter hair require a different washing method?

So I've been trying CO and while it works - I am so sensitive to chemicals and have so many allergies that the only conditioner that I can use for this is AOHR and of course it feels like my hair has 'gunk' in it all the time - but it looks good.

I experimented with trying other things to give it some lift and body - like flax seed gel and aloe vera, but all of them make me feel like my hair is dirty - since I am accustomed to having soap washed/ACV rinsed hair with nothing but maybe a tiny bit of oil on the ends which now is definitely a no no...

Does anyone have any ideas for ways to take care of my newly short hair that doesn't require leave ins... ???

Ermine
July 20th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Do you air dry or blowdry? I think it's possible to style your bob without any products at all if you just blowdry your hair upside down and hairspray it. I have fine hair which would have even more of a volume problem, but this does the trick. With CO, it can clean out the hair spray just fine. I'm not so sure about gel though.

Another factor would be how you're COing. Is AOHR cone free? You could get your hair even cleaner by massaging your hair as you rinse it and topping it off with ACV.

ratgirldjh
July 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Do you air dry or blowdry? I think it's possible to style your bob without any products at all if you just blowdry your hair upside down and hairspray it. I have fine hair which would have even more of a volume problem, but this does the trick. With CO, it can clean out the hair spray just fine. I'm not so sure about gel though.

Another factor would be how you're COing. Is AOHR cone free? You could get your hair even cleaner by massaging your hair as you rinse it and topping it off with ACV.

I air dry. I don't even own a blow dryer since I have had long hair for over 5 years.

AOHR is cone and protein free. It seems to clean pretty well for me - it is just that I am unused to conditioner and it seems to get stuck on my scalp no matter how much I scrub and scrub and with my hair this short any residue shows up...

I have never tried hair spray and am sort of afraid of it since I am allergic or sensitive to almost everything that has any fragrance or chemicals.

I am even sensitive to something in Fruit of The Earth Aloe Vera Gel!!!

Well today I clarified with clay and then washed with my soap and did and ACV rinse and my hair feels better. Maybe I can use my soap after all - I hope...

I just want bouncy and shiny hair!!! Is that too much to ask??? I had it when my hair was longer... in my way of thinking since I cut off at least a foot of hair - shouldn't it be shinier and bouncier? It is all 'young' hair!!! ;)

Siiri
July 20th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Have you tried diluting the conditioner when you CO-wash, it could wash out more easily? I have short hair and I CO-wash, haven't had any problems with it. As for "styling", I just try not to go to bed when it's still too damp so it won't get too flat or wonky.

QueenJoey
July 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM
You may have to give up the oils while your hair is this short, or else, as I'm sure you've already realized, it all gets super greasy. When I had short hair, I rarely put anything in it. I S/Ced and brushed it, that was all.

l0nd0nbr1dg3
July 20th, 2011, 06:21 PM
i am just having a hard time trying not to use heat with short hair
its kind of hard to make it look nice at all without some heat.. it looks so plain without it..
but i have to give it up

short hair is really close to ur scalp and ive read things about only conditioning ends or even only conditioning ear down, thats not much hair at all..
and its all so close to ur scalp that i sometimes think any kind of conditioner makes it greasy..

it is really frustrating

Ermine
July 20th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I air dry. I don't even own a blow dryer since I have had long hair for over 5 years.

Personally, I think the blow dryer is a must for styling short hair without products. The cool setting works just fine.

ratgirldjh
July 23rd, 2011, 05:05 PM
I tried a blow dryer and it worked ok - I did it on cool. I am having better luck putting my hair up in a tiny ponytail on top of my head when it is almost dry. When I take it down I have some wave and it is not flat!!! :)

TheCaityCat
July 23rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Definitely try a blow-dryer on the cool setting. For more volume you should aim the dryer at the roots of your hair.

Also, I find that with short hair I need much less conditioning since the oils from my scalp can reach the ends of my hair more easily just with brushing.