PDA

View Full Version : Bangs for Curlies?

eezepeeze
July 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Hi, LHC community! Here is my dilemma...I have a very high forehead which makes my face look severe when i wear my hair pulled back, which is almost every day. I have been compensating by wearing a little "poof" in front to soften the looks.

What I want to know is your experiences with bangs, especially with wavy/curly hair. Do you have to straighten them every day? Put them on a roller to smooth them? Would you recommend bangs for a curly like me?

Pics would be great, if you've got 'em! :)

chahuahuas
July 20th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Umm if your natural texture is what I see in your siggy pic, then I would say go for it!!

But if your natural texture is actually 3b/3c corkscrews (like your stats say), don't do it unless you can commit to curling them or flat iron them every time you wash your hair (and every time it rains, every time you sweat, sometimes when you sleep...) because they get terrible otherwise. Sometimes I would try to pin them to the side to get them to set in a straighter, non poofy manner, but it never worked :(

ETA:

The first time I got bangs, they curled up like this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8220&pictureid=107270

I'm not sure what was up with them there... I kinda liked them because they looked old-school to me, but they never curled up that nicely again! They would only curl up pointing outwards or in weird directions, so I had no choice but to flat iron them, like this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8220&pictureid=107274

I really liked them flat ironed, and I didn't worry about the damange (since I would be trimming them soon anyway), but it was SUCH a pain and I couldn't wear them in the rain, the heat (because the sweat on my forehead would never fail to poof them up awkwardly :(), or pretty much anywhere other than perfect conditions. And sometimes they looked awkward when pinned back! As a girl who loves versatility in her life, I just couldn't keep them for long. :undecided

finzi
July 20th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Maybe you could try longer side swept bangs. They would still fall across your forehead but the added length and weight might make them easier to handle.

chahuahuas
July 20th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Maybe you could try longer side swept bangs. They would still fall across your forehead but the added length and weight might make them easier to handle.

When my bangs were these lengths:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8220&pictureid=107278http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8220&pictureid=107280http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8220&pictureid=107272

I still had to flat iron them then. The length and weight was definitely not enough for my 3a/3b curls to stretch out (which makes sense, because my hair is now waist length and it still has tons of curl, lol)

whitestiletto
July 20th, 2011, 10:44 AM
My hair is only wurly and I've had bangs twice. Both times I felt it was a mistake because the flipped in odd directions and I don't use heat styling. I like to keep some chin lenth wisps they're more manageable but still have definition from the front.

chahuahuas
July 20th, 2011, 10:50 AM
My hair is only wurly and I've had bangs twice. Both times I felt it was a mistake because the flipped in odd directions and I don't use heat styling. I like to keep some chin lenth wisps they're more manageable but still have definition from the front.

Me too! :D I find that I don't mind my bangs when they're chin-length/jaw-length corkscrews (depending on how tightly they curl). I love short bangs more, but chin length is just so much easier to work with!

share801
July 20th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I'm only wavy but I would say don't do it. Mine were dreadful - sticking out at odd angles and generally looking a mess.

If you want to straighten, then maybe. . .

faithsdaisy421
July 20th, 2011, 01:51 PM
My bff has corkscrew curls. She cuts bangs into her hair once and they were such a nightmare! She had to use heat to flatten them everyday, and most days they wound up such a mess that she had to clip them back. It was not fun.

It is such a shame... because when they were actually working for her, they were so cute.

eezepeeze
July 20th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks, guys! You are confirming my suspicion that bangs on me would stick out like 2 corkscrew antennae. Or stick straight up in the air like a halo.

This has really helped! I had been thinking about jumping on the bangs bandwagon, but I think I will not do it.
:cheese:

eezepeeze
July 20th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I think I will stick with the poof, as long as that is somewhat in style.

Proximity
July 20th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I have a horrible hairline... looks like receeding hair, so having my hair swept back looks awful on me. My hair is wavy and generally sticky outy and pouffy but I have a fringe/bangs. I blowdry it and keep it quite short and therefore controlable, but it does need washing more than the rest of my hair and gets messy and greasy easily.

I guess it comes down to what you can deal with. For me the drawbacks are worth it. But my head is a shape that will not do a poof in front to soften the look so that limits my options.

chahuahuas
July 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM
My hair is wavy and generally sticky outy and pouffy but I have a fringe/bangs. I blowdry it and keep it quite short and therefore controlable, but it does need washing more than the rest of my hair and gets messy and greasy easily.

Oh my goodness, I almost forgot about how greasy my bangs got in the summer! Blunt bangs are TERRIBLE, especially for visiting your boyfriend who has no AC in the hottest week of the summer... :( I knew back then that I shouldn't wash my hair every day, so it was very difficult to deal with greasy bangs. (I have kindof an oily face, so my bangs sitting on my forehead suucked.) I learned about dry shampoo to combat the greasy-ness, and that definitely helped!