PDA

View Full Version : Are headbands bad for the hair?

Fairlight63
July 20th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I have been wearing headbands lately to keep my bangs out of my face but I wonder if they are bad for the hair. The ones that I wear only go from ear to ear, not any elastic in the back. They don't seem to be too tight, if they are too tight they give me a headache.

I can't keep the kind with elastic all the way around on my head, they slip off in a few min.

Madora
July 20th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I haven't worn a headband in years but I did like the soft, elasticized fabric ones (about 3/4" wide) that went around the head.

Trouble is, it never was much good at keeping the hair out of my face for any length of time.

The rigid hair bands (with teeth) were even worse.

I don't think hairbands are bad for your hair, provided they're soft and have no metal in them.

Anje
July 20th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I'm sure they're fine if they don't have sharp seams or edges that could shred the hair. Check for those.

growingpains
July 20th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I think the only possibility of damage would be if they had teeth to hold them in. Even then, as long as you are careful when putting them in/taking them out, and also when you are wearing them (i.e. don't do anything that makes it move around too much while on your head like laying down with it in) then you should be ok.

If it's a soft one, especially if covered in fabric, I can't imagine damage would occur.

Zesty
July 20th, 2011, 11:41 AM
As others have already said, probably it depends on the headband and how you wear it. If it's tight and you pull the hair back very tightly as well, then there could be a chance of damage or traction alopecia. But if it's the fabric kind or it's relatively loose, and has no teeth, etc., then I don't see how it could be damaging.

partlycloudy
July 20th, 2011, 01:18 PM
If anything, they're good for your hair as they prevent it from moving around as much as if you were wearing no hair accessories at all. If you're gentle and the band doesn't move around too much I really don't think you need to worry. But if in doubt, you could always buy silk ones, which is the absolute kindest material to hair and cannot damage it at all.

Pantha
July 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I think the only damage would be if its one that keeps sliping and you keep pulling it over (or through if its a toothed one) your hair. When I was younger I used to use them and I never noticed any damage, but by younger I mean under 11 years old.

I shoud imagine if you are repeatedly putting it on and off with it slipping then even a fabric one would cause friction damage eventually but so does everything. Just keep an eye on your hair and if you notice any breakage you wouldnt have normally then stop wearing them.