PDA

View Full Version : Oiling at Night

Sammybunny711
March 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Hello LHC community! You are all much wiser in the way of hair than I am. I have psoriasis and my dermatologist just gave me an oil to massage into my hair at night and cover with a shower cap. I must say, I am VERY easily awakened at night and it is already extremely hard for me to go to sleep. Would covering with a tichel or hair wrap thing over the shower cap keep it from getting all crunchy/make it more comfortable?:confused:

lynnala
March 13th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I find the microfiber hair wrap towels very comfortable, I think I'd be able to sleep in one with no problem. They have a button to keep it closed also. Some of the oil would soak into the towel, however.

eadwine
March 13th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I simply throw my hair in a quick bun and sleep with a towel on my pillow. Works just fine. Covering my head wouldn't work as it slides off when I turn over.

Anje
March 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I think I'd cover with some sort of sleep cap instead of a shower cap, so you don't have to deal with the crunchy sounds. If you really don't want oil soaking through or your scalp to get air, you could always wrap your head in saran wrap. At least that stuff's quiet.

thetokenlady
March 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM
How about 2 pillowcases (one regular sized, maybe one queen) with a small towel in between to protect your pillow? Then you could just bun your hair and not worry about something on your head.

FrannyG
March 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking some loose Saran wrap/cling wrap, covered with a turbie towel might be okay. I've done that before, and I'm easily disturbed at night as well.

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions so far. I hope one of them works for you. :flower:

I know I could never sleep in a shower cap. :rolleyes:

squiggyflop
March 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM
im afraid i thrash way too much when i sleep to have anything on my head (i actually have read posts of people sleeping with forks in their hair..) i cant even get a scrunchybun to stay in... how about buying a really soft terry lined showercap... there are some really soft showercaps out there that hardly make any noise..

Leisha
March 13th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I think I would just put my hair in a bun and put a towel over my pillow, like Eadwine. That seems the easiest, least crunchy/noisy and most comfortable, I think. :)

spidermom
March 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I'd probably braid or bun my hair and then just use a couple of pillowcases that I don't care much about. I can't sleep with any sort of scarf or cap or towel. It won't stay on. I toss and turn too much.

itslex71
March 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM
When I oil, I sleep directly on my silk pillowcase and I don't care how greasy it gets. I just wash it on laundry day and haven't noticed that the oil makes my skin breakout at all. I wouldn't sleep on a towel because that will pull on your skin and lead to wrinkles. A cap would definitely get on my nerves.

liselle
March 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
When i oil, i put it in a loose bun then cover with a thin HAIR NET.
It lets my scalp breathe and holds everything in place perfectly.

:):)

cardamom
February 26th, 2010, 10:04 PM
its wise to use a surgeon's disposable cap!

cch24
February 26th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I have often slept in those conditioning caps that you can by at a beauty supply store, and surprisingly they make very little noise if you put a sleep cap on top of it. If the idea of sleeping in plastic bothers you, however, you have received some good suggestions already!

Good luck!

GoddesJourney
February 26th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I'm thinking some loose Saran wrap/cling wrap, covered with a turbie towel might be okay. I've done that before, and I'm easily disturbed at night as well.

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions so far. I hope one of them works for you. :flower:

I know I could never sleep in a shower cap. :rolleyes:

I second this.

Ravenne
February 26th, 2010, 11:10 PM
When I oil at night I put on a satin sleep cap. No noise, easy on the hair, and it doesn't pinch any part of my head so I don't have a headache in the morning. Then again, I sleep like a rock and it takes a lot to wake me up. :shrug:

hmmm
February 27th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I use a cotton scarf to keep my hair back from my head and contained. Then I put a towel over the pillow so it doesn't get stained, but sometimes I skip that.

Kristin
February 27th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I also use a bandana/ cotton scarf for heavy nighttime oilings. Tie it in the front over your forehead, rather than in the back.

La Luna
February 27th, 2010, 02:15 PM
When I oil at night I put on a satin sleep cap. No noise, easy on the hair, and it doesn't pinch any part of my head so I don't have a headache in the morning. Then again, I sleep like a rock and it takes a lot to wake me up. :shrug:
I do exactly the same - got a satin bonnet recently and it is very comfy! Pillow stays clean and hair does not tangle.
And I also sleep like a log too :D

pepperedmoth
February 27th, 2010, 08:28 PM
If you really don't want oil soaking through or your scalp to get air, you could always wrap your head in saran wrap. At least that stuff's quiet.

This. The dermatologist probably suggested the shower cap to act as an occlusive dressing and get everything to sink in better. Saran wrap would accomplish the same purpose, and be more comfortable.

Rhiannon7
February 28th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I agree with the saran wrap. it does not crunch or make noise and it still keeps the heat where it should be. and the idea of a surgeon's cap is also good. maybe add both. towels on pillows just don't work for me, makes me wrinkly in the morning and i toss and turn like a gymnast on drugs! so saran wrap sounds great.

When i do oil heavily i simply braid the hair, watch a movie and go to sleep, the excess oil soaks into everything but i wash every 3 days anyway, so no problem there.

Hope you can find a way to cover your hair and still sleep well. let us know how your scalp issues continue to do.