PDA

View Full Version : Hair Headache Remedies?

AshNight1214
July 19th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Any ideas?

For anyone who doesn't know what I mean by "hair headache" I'm talking about the owchies after you've had your hair up in a less-than-adequately-supportive hairstyle for a long period of time.

For instance, I had my hair in a pony all day today and just took it down about twenty minutes ago. I just got up from bed because my head hurt that badly! Since it looks like Summer's going to be hot here in SoCal, I was thinking it'd be good to ask now. :cheese:

Madora
July 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM
The pain you feel are the hair follicles rebelling against being in a ponytail (especially if you don't do ponytails that often).

Your follicles are used to being in a certain position most of the time.

When you change that position (i.e. a new part) or brushing your hair in the bent at the waist position, or a new hairstyle that you're unaccustomed to, those follicles will hurt because they are not used to being pulled in the new direction.

How to overcome this?

Introduce your follicles to the new style gradually! Wear the new style for a short period of time..say an hour.

The next day, wear it for 70 minutes...and so forth and so on.

Gradually, you will "train" your follicles to accept the new position.

It might also help if you do a few slow massages to your scalp (go slowly) to loosen up your roots.

AshNight1214
July 19th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Interesting! I had never heard of that. Thanks! Will have to try! :)

clichepithet
July 19th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Take it down and put it back up in an more-than-adequately-supportive hairstyle.

If Style A: gives you headaches, stop wearing it in Style A:. Either go to Style B: or find better ways of securing Style A:.